SniveTroll

Electric Fuel Pressure Gauge

im going to install one. now with an aftermarket fuel system would you install before or after regulator.

before - absolute pump pressure

at the regulator - pressure at the rails.

Please discuss. do not be skimpy with opinions nor details.

when folks dyno tune they worry about pump duty cycle(make sure they have enough pump). then often have an external gauge for base fuel pressure. 40psi vac unplugged. 36-38psi vac plugged in at idle. At WOT Delta Differential pressuring between the fuel rails to maintain feeding.@ WOT you see it go from 39-40 psi to 21-26 N/A. (only experience my previous tuner explained it)

Without exposing myself to fuel and having an allergic reaction, im trying to get opinions.

I put a Tee on the shradder valve of the fuel rails. one side goes to a fuel pressure safety switch for the nitrous, the other to the sending unit for my auto meter fuel pressure gauge. you want to know rail pressure when you are in the cab. if you pump isnt keeping up it will still show on the gauge at the rails. are you pushing the limits of your pump with your setup?

Regulator opens up to relieve excess fuel pressure. WOT engine vacuum decreases closing the regulator and shutting off most of the return (full fuel pressure if you have enough pump). Adjustable pressure regulator with a bigger pump will ensure full fuel pressure at all times. Fuel trim calculates injector pulse width and rich lean conditions. I wouldn't worry about fuel pressure as long as she doesn't start going lean. Extra duty pump never hurts if you have a regulator and return line. Unfortunately I have no return line and blow frps sensors sometimes.

ok there is the pic. you will have equal pressure from your fuel pump all the way up to your regulator. in this setup you reg is after the engine. technically you can put the sender anywhere in between and it should not matter. your best choices are on the rail side of the reg. or the y block like you said. either will do fine whatever floats your boat, and is a cleaner job.

I really need a drawing of the way it runs. The Y feeds both rails individually. From the front on the rail or the back. Where does the hose on the other end of the rail go? Diagram or quick drawing will help.

with the reg on the return side of your fuel rails as it looks and sounds like it is. your entire fuel system is under the same pressure with the exception of your return line. you could tap in any were you wanted. there was a little confusion and back and forth that might be hard to follow when people read this but that is pretty much the bottom line. there is nothing to change the pressure between your reg and pump. any were along that line will be fine.

edit: i need to go to bed i have had to edit every one of these wording things exactly backwards of what i meant

Edited by Craig

mine is a 96 with COP conversion and A1000 Fuel system. im always testing parts.

1. i tested and using the A1000 fuel system as aeromotive said to. theres a few flaws.

2. i tested ebay COP on the dyno and street Fast wideband. whatever brand i found does work well. Motorcraft is still better.

3. suspension.. Still tuning.

i like to have fun and push the envelope a little on the street. until i have it to a science it wont be on the street yet.

Damm. Gonna have to T off of one side between the reg and the rail. Just be sure the T doesn't cause any restriction because it may cause uneven pressure between the sides. Personally I prefer a two fitting reg and Y them to the reg in one line. Shouldn't be a big problem either way you run it as long as it doesn't restrict flow.

he is saying to take one of the lines from rail to reg and put you sender there. tee the line so fuel passes throw the 180* portion of the tee with the sender on the 90* plane. but if the tee restricts the fuel flow it will only be restricting it on one rail and not the other.

my thinking on this is.... will it matter? this will be some decent tech for the thread. lets say that you do restrict one line slightly. That should not increase pressure that would be a decrease in volume. I am still thinking it does not matter were the sender goes on your setup in theory as long as it is some were in between the reg and pump. I have never done a setup like this i have always run the reg before the motor so I could be way off base here but it makes sense to me. I am still with Al tho. I have always run, and always see the sender between the reg and rails. with your setup I think the easiest way might be to tee in before your y block tho for a clean install. esp. because there is already a hole in the firewall right there ( i say right there assuming your y block is on the pass side strut tower as it seems to be in the pic) to run your wires right into the cockpit. i dont see that it would make a difference either way you do it.

Edited by Craig