Craig

how much are you spraying?

It is only a matter of time before we have the weekly "how much can i spray" questions starting so I thought we could try to limit it to this thread

how much are you spraying and how is the car holding up?

In my 95 I have been spraying a 125 dry shot for years. stock hyper pistons, stock fuel pump, 10* initial timing and just recently one step colder plugs (autolite 24's) motor is fine and in good health and i have put enough bottles through her to have paid for a turbo setup at least twice haha.

I have on the other hand went through 8 aode transmissions and the used t5 in there now is on its last leg but that was from the former owner. and I had to rebuild the read diff once. heavy car + traction = broken parts :) but the motor is fine and that is usually the question people ask

It is a 05115 nos kit. I dont like zex kits at all. their magic purple box doesnt do it for me. the 5115 kit is much more tunable the kit actually just came off the car because i am getting parts together for a new motor and i thought i was going to sell it. i was going to convert to a carb and run a big plate setup and see what it took split a 302 for myself, but now i am on the fence about it and leaning more towards staying efi. ill probably end up building an efi wet kit but not because i think wet kits are better, just so i can run a dedicated nitrous fuel tank full of race gas. for a small shot I am totally sold on dry kits.

You say your totally sold on dry kits, is that b/c more people lean towards the wet kits and if so for what reasons?

I would say the majority of people try to sell you on a wet kit being a better kit. the majority of people also say you cant make huge power with dry kits. A dry kit is a piece of cake to install and is cheeper than a comparable wet kit. Most people who want a small shot, lets say 75-125, have never run nitrous before. a dry kit takes the "puddling" out of the equation, and takes taping the fuel system out of the install process. I have not done it but there a few guys out there running really big shots on dry kits. I didn't intend to make my post a "dry kits are better than wet kits" comment but the way i worded it i think came off that way. What i was getting at is that for a small shot i think a dry kit is the way to go. on my new motor i am building i will be asking 200hp out of the go button and i dont want to have to put the good gas in my tank cuz i am a cheep ass. I am going to run a 1 gal fuel cell under the hood full of race gas plumbed to the fuel noid. I do think wet kits are the way to go when you start talking about serious hp but for the small stuff i dont think the expense and added labor is of any benefit. the only exception i can think of would be if my fuel system was running on the upper limits of its capacity. In that case, running a dry kit would mean you need to upgrade you injector because they have to send all the extra fuel required on a dry kit and the noid delivers the extra fuel in a wet kit.

So pretty much if your going to run a shot of 125 or smaller the dry kit is the way to go providing the fuel injectors can keep up with the increase in fuel needed?

So pretty much if your going to run a shot of 125 or smaller the dry kit is the way to go providing the fuel injectors can keep up with the increase in fuel needed?

According to me... yes haha. some may argue differently but I bought my kit for around 500$ if i remember right. put it on when i was 16 or 17 and have run the dog shit out of the car on it. running a wet kit would have cost me more, taken longer to put on and are not quite as first time user friendly. not to say either is going to be a bad product or make a huge difference either way but I prefer dry for the small stuff. once you get 150 shot on up your getting into more serious buisness. its a pretty good number to use too because after that you will generally have to upgrade your fuel system, possibly pistons, etc a whole other slew of supporting mods start to come into play. not necessarily a must in ever case but it is past the bolt the kit up and go point most of the time. you are also getting close to if not at the limit of premium gasoline depending no your setup. i dont see either setup as better overall i see them as having a better application than the other.

you in the market for a kit? haha I still have the kit off the car.

I might be in the market for one eventually but it would not be until this winter/next spring and I'm throwing around the idea of either nitrous or a Vortch S trim just b/c those are so damn cheap now. All depends on my #'s once the car is tuned and I get some track time in. If I really want to go hunting for mid 10's then I'll consider one of the two.

125 shot here 1 step Colder plugs and timing at 10* base. Nothing exciting I had run prolly 100 bottles atleast threw my stock motor

I had a zex kit on my car but removed it when I ran a 12.55. Kit was never fully installed. Never had the supply line long enough for the way I wanted to route it. Decided to see how far I can push this on stock power level and sold it

Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Was thinking about either boost/nitrous as I said before but decided on nitrous b/c it still gives me the ability to run N/A if I choose to. With boost SC/Turbo that option is taken away.

How much ET can you usually pick up with like say a 125 shot? I know it all depends on the car/driver and whats done to it but generally speaking can you knock off 1/2 a second, full second, more?

that was the same thought to make the same decision for me. I have enough power and a great sound to enjoy getting around town already I don't need the extra power on tap 24/7 and the maint to go with it.

Yeah I'm all set with blown head gaskets and slipping belts. I know that is not the case with EVERY Blown application and Nitrous can bring along its own issues but over all I think the inherent risk is less

Ill be honest, my car sat on blocks for 4 years and is just now drivable again. It has been a long time since i filled up a nitrous bottle but the going rate here was always 3.90-4.10 a lb. so pretty much $40 to fill up a completely empty bottle. If you have the money to put a blower on do it. I love nitrous and its cheep to get your foot in the door with a very basic kit with no bells and whistles but as soon as you start adding gauges, bottle heaters, purge kits, window switches etc. it will match the price of a blower in a big hurry. not to mention i have put enough money in bottles through that car to buy 4 s trim set ups. nitrous is harder on parts to. all that power hits RIGHT NOW. it does not spool or lag. for a 75 shot no biggie but you get the point. F8L i have put probably 10 different efi kits on cars for friends and side jobs, and I have NEVER had enough line. I dont know why but they never supply enough line to run the send properly UNDER the car and not inside of it. Im sure its net every kit on the market but everyone i ran into. as far as what nitrous will pull off your time. there is no set rule really as you already know and the more you add the less you gain exponentially in respect to your et. but very roughly move the decimal two spots left. 100 shot = about 1.00 second. 150 shot= about 1.50 seconds. 200shot =about 2.00 seconds. you get the point im sure but like i said its no were near set in stone.

Ya I keep hearing that from others. I really need outta this crap hole state. And I think you'll be fine with that setup. Just make sure to set up timing/plugs right. When you make a pass shut the car down at the end of the pass. No idlein or nothing. That way you get a good clean reading on the plugs. If you don't know that already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ya I keep hearing that from others. I really need outta this crap hole state. And I think you'll be fine with that setup. Just make sure to set up timing/plugs right. When you make a pass shut the car down at the end of the pass. No idlein or nothing. That way you get a good clean reading on the plugs. If you don't know that already.

Thats the only down fall, i don't know where the stock timing should be Or even what it should be set at for a 125 kit.The car has a tune on it from previous owner and it was N/A with tons of bolt on's so im assuming the timing is advanced. But i can get my hands on some sniper delta force tuning software for free and i can pretty much change anything i want. Just need to know where to set the timing at and then pick up a set of colder plugs and maybe even try a tad bit higher octane for track nights.

Id like to atleast get a window switch before i try anything tho...

Think its 2° to a 50 shot from stock timing. Don't quote me though. That's just off the top of my head. Then just go one step colder on the plug. I just test mine on the street in front of my house. Don't know if you can or not.

Edit.

http://www.nitroussupply.com/tuning.php

Think its 2° to a 50 shot from stock timing. Don't quote me though. That's just off the top of my head. Then just go one step colder on the plug. I just test mine on the street in front of my house. Don't know if you can or not.

Edit.

http://www.nitroussupply.com/tuning.php

Yea its 2 Deg per 50, but have been told a car in stock form such as our cars can take a 100 shot bone stock on stock tune.I have a few spots i can go to do test runs. You don't run a wide band to see what your AFR's looks like?

Yea its 2 Deg per 50, but have been told a car in stock form such as our cars can take a 100 shot bone stock on stock tune.I have a few spots i can go to do test runs. You don't run a wide band to see what your AFR's looks like?

No I don't. I just read the plugs. As you know my motor is bone stock with factory tune. I'm running a 100 shot no problems.

No I don't. I just read the plugs. As you know my motor is bone stock with factory tune. I'm running a 100 shot no problems.

Wish i was in the same boat to be honest, no extra money for the cost of a tune. Hopefully i get the Sniper software to do what i need it to do and get a window switch and go have some fun with the new rearend. Your car is moving for being a stock motor :)

Wish i was in the same boat to be honest, no extra money for the cost of a tune. Hopefully i get the Sniper software to do what i need it to do and get a window switch and go have some fun with the new rearend. Your car is moving for being a stock motor :)

I don't even have a window switch. Lol. I hit the button and go. I need one I just haven't ordered one. Thanks. I'm pretty happy with what its doing. Its only lasting cause I'm not really worried about it dying. I don't have to drive it everyday. So it will probley last forever. Haha

WTF a few trips there and you can buy a nitrous fill station for yourself. Thats crazy...

Yea I'm planning on getting my own filling station

I am actually about to finish my nitrous install thread, just got my camera back.

to whomever.

if your at stock tiing, your good up to a 150 shot, after 150 you need to start retarding the timing. im hitting 100 right now, and did hit 125 fine with no issues.

my spark plugs are cheap too, go to advanced an get some autolite 103's. there a rece designed plug and they work great. I believe they were $1.75 a plug.

I just bought a carb plate kit, what do I need to know about it? I paid $250 for a brand new edelbrock 70001 performer kit, it says 75-150, what do I need to do if I want to go higher since there isn't jets do I have to buy a new plate or new solenoids?

I just bought a carb plate kit, what do I need to know about it? I paid $250 for a brand new edelbrock 70001 performer kit, it says 75-150, what do I need to do if I want to go higher since there isn't jets do I have to buy a new plate or new solenoids?

You just buy the size jets you want off ebay and put them in. The eldebrock (nos) noids are good up to 250 hp.

Was thinking about either boost/nitrous as I said before but decided on nitrous b/c it still gives me the ability to run N/A if I choose to. With boost SC/Turbo that option is taken away.

How much ET can you usually pick up with like say a 125 shot? I know it all depends on the car/driver and whats done to it but generally speaking can you knock off 1/2 a second, full second, more?

well youve seen my et's without nitrous.... it generally runs low-mid 11's without spray and mid-high tens with spray (really depends on whether or not I hook the d/a humidity ect on my times).... but yea I gained about a full second on 125 shot trav :)