Det_Riot

Can someone review this computer for me

So needing a new computer desperately for photo and video editing, I had my brother help me piece together a computer on ibuypower.com. We think that this all will be compatible with each other but aren't entirely sure. That being said, if anyone wants to go ahead and review this computer to confirm that it will all be compatible then it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance guys!

Case: 1 x Raidmax Horus Gaming Case - Black

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion: 1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion

System Processor: 1 x AMD A10-7700K APU (4x 3.50GHZ/4MB L2 Cache)

Processor Cooling: 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade

Memory: 1 x 8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand**Free Upgrade to DDR3-2133 G.SKILL RipjawsX.

Video Card: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 2GB - FREE Upgrade to EVGA GTX 760 2GB Superclocked - Single Card

Free Stuff: 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter - FREE with iBUYPOWER Desktops

Free Stuff: 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER High Performance Gaming Mouse Pad - FREE with any System ($29 Value)

Free Stuff: 1 x [FREE] - McAfee Antivirus PLUS 2014 - FREE with any System ($49 Value)

Free Stuff: 1 x [FREE] - Tt eSports Gaming Mouse & Keyboard Combo - FREE with ALL iBUYPOWER Desktops

Free Stuff: 1 x [Free Game Download] - AMD Core Evolution Bundle - Select 1 Free Game (Sniper Elite 3, Thief, or Murdered: Soul Suspect) - Free w/ AMD A10 APU

Motherboard: 1 x Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X 3.0 -- 2x USB3.0

Power Supply: 1 x 500 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 600W Standard

Primary Hard Drive: 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive: 1 x ASUS 24x Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

2nd Optical Drive: 1 x ASUS 24x Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Media Card Reader / Writer: 1 x 12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Sound Card: 1 x ASUS Xonar DX -- 7.1 Channels, 192KHz/24-bit

Network Card: 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Operating System: 1 x None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only

Keyboard: 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse

• Supporting Member

Why's that? (Just trying to learn)

Yeah no sweat. I used to own a video production company and helped build a 3d rendering studio so with my working knowledge, 8gb is cutting it way too short for having your operating system, content and even one program open. With that limited memory you will find its a bottleneck and will hinder speeds and possibly cause crashes depending on software you use. This is more true given you will be doing any video but more or less rings true for photo also. The specific memory you've chosen is quite popular and has tight timing (good) for its class. Actually, it's the very ram I run.

Also, speed being a factor, you might want to consider an SSD. Run your os off that and use the 2tb for file storage. These little things will make a vast difference.

Lastly, not familiar with amd honestly. Always done Intel and or Mac so I've relatively little input on your processor.

Yeah no sweat. I used to own a video production company and helped build a 3d rendering studio so with my working knowledge, 8gb is cutting it way too short for having your operating system, content and even one program open. With that limited memory you will find its a bottleneck and will hinder speeds and possibly cause crashes depending on software you use. This is more true given you will be doing any video but more or less rings true for photo also. The specific memory you've chosen is quite popular and has tight timing (good) for its class. Actually, it's the very ram I run.

Also, speed being a factor, you might want to consider an SSD. Run your os off that and use the 2tb for file storage. These little things will make a vast difference.

Lastly, not familiar with amd honestly. Always done Intel and or Mac so I've relatively little input on your processor.

Awesome thanks for the advice! As far as everything hooking up to each other?

My knowledge isn't creditable but when I built my computer years ago with the advice from a friend of mine he said don't waste your time with AMD and stick with an Intel processor. @Blackmage probs has way more input.

Phew, where to begin.

Case: 1 x Raidmax Horus Gaming Case - Black

looks like a decent case, should be big enough.  I personally would look into an aluminum case, lighter, easier to move around.  I realize its a desktop, but weight sometimes does come into consideration

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion: 1 x [6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion

is this really neccessary? im assuming it just comes with the case/pc

System Processor: 1 x AMD A10-7700K APU (4x 3.50GHZ/4MB L2 Cache)

You're killing yourself here.  You want a video/photo editing machine, this will hold you back. Hyperthreading is not available(slower render times), only a quad core, also NO L3 CACHE.  L2 cache is great to have, but no L3 will slow things down as well.  It also does not support the memory you have selected below.

Memory Controller

Memory controller Built-in Memory type DDR3-2133 Channels Dual Channel Supports ECC No Maximum bandwidth 34,133.32 MB/s)

Rated at 95W power useage, its gonna be a warm sucker too. 

I am not sure what your budget is, but I'm probably about to tack on about $500-$800 onto your build just with processor/mobo combo.  I would recommend an Intel Core i7 4770k. It will run cooler, run stronger, and will probably outlive the AMD in terms of being able to run future products/programs better. 

Processor Cooling: 1 x Asetek 510LC Liquid CPU Cooling System [AMD] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade

I would then recommend the CORSAIR Hydro H75 over the Asetek.  The asetek says its for sockets "AMD: AM2,AM2+,AM3,AM3+,FM1" , the A10 you chose is an FM2+ socket. 

Memory: 1 x 8 GB [4 GB x2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair or Major Brand**Free Upgrade to DDR3-2133 G.SKILL RipjawsX.

Like fiveohw said, get 16gb, you'll need it.  Basic video editing and then having photoshop or something else open can eat up a lot of memory quickly.  Memory is cheap.  I now see you have a free upgrade to DDR3-2133, so it should work with the AMD processor.   Cas latency is a 9, kinda high but shouldn't notice that with editing. (gaming you will).   Your timing 9-11-10-28 is also a touch high, but will work for what you need it for.  

Video Card: 1 x NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 - 2GB - FREE Upgrade to EVGA GTX 760 2GB Superclocked - Single Card

This is a nice video card, we could go into these extremely in depth, but this is SLI ready, so you could add on a second one later down the road.  You can argue that theres better and whats not, this should do you well though. 

(meh, its free stuff who cares haha)

Free Stuff: 1 x [FREE] - 802.11AC Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter - FREE with iBUYPOWER Desktops

Free Stuff: 1 x [FREE] - iBUYPOWER High Performance Gaming Mouse Pad - FREE with any System ($29 Value)

Free Stuff: 1 x [FREE] - McAfee Antivirus PLUS 2014 - FREE with any System ($49 Value)

Free Stuff: 1 x [FREE] - Tt eSports Gaming Mouse & Keyboard Combo - FREE with ALL iBUYPOWER Desktops

Free Stuff: 1 x [Free Game Download] - AMD Core Evolution Bundle - Select 1 Free Game (Sniper Elite 3, Thief, or Murdered: Soul Suspect) - Free w/ AMD A10 APU

Motherboard: 1 x Gigabyte GA-G1.Sniper A88X 3.0 -- 2x USB3.0

First, your AMD processor only supports 32gb of memory, and this mobo supports up to 64gb, more of an fyi.  otherwise looks like an ok setup for the AMD. 

Power Supply: 1 x 500 Watt - Standard - *Free Upgrade to 600W Standard

What model, brand, pin count? etc.... With the current AMD setup you will see around 500w of usage, so a 600w would work, but you might want to go bigger, and we need more info on the PSU.  Get a modular one if you can afford it.

Primary Hard Drive: 1 x 2 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200rpm, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

This gives us no info about the harddrive, so lets start from scratch.  Get an SSD for your OS, no less than 128gb.  Then get a Seagate Barracuda 500gb for storing/running all your programs.  THEN get a 1tb (or another 500gb) for where your information is stored that you are working on (videos, images, etc).   By keeping these seperate, when you are rendering or actually working, your load times will be less because information is not all traveling down the same pipe and competing to get to their destination.  I would then have a separate HDD for finished products and backup.  Kind of overkill, but without a dedicated RAID set up, this is your next best option. 

Optical Drive: 1 x ASUS 24x Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Should be fine!

2nd Optical Drive: 1 x ASUS 24x Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black

Do you really need a second dvd drive?

Media Card Reader / Writer: 1 x 12-In-1 Internal Media Card Reader/Writer - Black

Always nice to have

Sound Card: 1 x ASUS Xonar DX -- 7.1 Channels, 192KHz/24-bit

kind of pointless with all the outputs you already have on the back of your mobo.  Unless your doing recording through your PC, you might want to be looking at a different option then.  I would dump this. 

Network Card: 1 x Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Get this out of here, you have onboard LAN from the mobo and its 10/100/1000.

Operating System: 1 x None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only

Get windows 7 pro 64 bit.  

Buy your own keyboard and mouse, you'll be happier with a wireless mouse at the least. 

Keyboard: 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Keyboard

Mouse: 1 x iBUYPOWER Standard Gaming Mouse

Everyone has their opinions on stuff, this is mine :) If you want some help getting i7 stuff together, such as another GPU, PSU, CPU, and mobo, let me know!

Hah its all good.  ive built a few of my own stations and have bought plenty of PC's through different jobs. so exposure gives me some insight :) I would still highly recommend an intel if you can afford it, i totally get trying to save money.  Im running an older AMD Phenom II X6 processor, it ranked high at the time, works well, but I wish i would have went intel sometimes. My work PC is an i7 and blows the AMD out of the water sometimes. The amd has dual video cards, and my work PC has onboard video... lol   if you don't mind me asking, whats your budget?    

what are you planning on using for a monitor too?  do you have one, need one?

Hah its all good. ive built a few of my own stations and have bought plenty of PC's through different jobs. so exposure gives me some insight :) I would still highly recommend an intel if you can afford it, i totally get trying to save money. Im running an older AMD Phenom II X6 processor, it ranked high at the time, works well, but I wish i would have went intel sometimes. My work PC is an i7 and blows the AMD out of the water sometimes. The amd has dual video cards, and my work PC has onboard video... lol if you don't mind me asking, whats your budget?

what are you planning on using for a monitor too? do you have one, need one?

Idk I didn't have a real budget. I had performance goals of being able to run. Video editing/Photoshop/ while stick dicking around in the net without the computer struggling. My original plan was like 1000 but if its more to meet my goals its more.

Did I plan on dropping 100000999999990 into the mustang? Nah but it happened.