Blackmage

2016 Ford GT??

http://jalopnik.com/ford-gt-this-is-it-1678893649

Ford did it. They actually went and did it. It's been rumored about and speculated on for months, but now we know it's real. This is it: the new Ford GT. Ford just dropped a bomb on the rest of the world, and it's got a twin-turbo EcoBoost V6, if you can believe it. 

Here's what we know so far: Mid-engine layout (duh,) 600 horsepower, lots of carbon fiber, and a dual clutch gearbox. More details to come.

The original Ford GT40 wasn't just another endurance racer. Sporting iconic looks and a mighty V8 engine, it emerged victorious in Ford's bitter Le Mans battle against Ferrari, one of the greatest David vs. Goliath stories in all of motorsports.

And a decade ago, Ford resurrected with a limited edition, street-legal supercar with the performance to match the best Europe had to offer. It was an amazing machine that remains highly respected and coveted today. Now Ford is back with a modern version of this legendary car.

UPDATE: Here's what you need to know: it has a twin-turbo 3.5-liter EcoBoost V6 (yes, seriously) with more than 600 horsepower and is going into production in late 2016. 

The body features liberal amounts of carbon fiber and more advanced lightweight composites, so Ford promises it will "exhibit one of the best power-to-weight ratios of any production car."

They also say it has an F1-style steering wheel and a paddle-shift gearbox, plus upward swinging doors. Here's more

The state-of-the-art chassis is suspended by an active racing-style torsion bar and pushrod suspension, with adjustable ride height. The 20-inch wheels are shod with Michelin Pilot Super Sport Cup 2 tires featuring a unique compound and structure designed specifically for the Ford GT. Multi-spoke wheels encircle carbon-ceramic brake discs at all four corners.

lwbrtpl6q9ep9vkffwai.png

qoodf0n9dagfje3cu3me.png

g5o6mjkr5n1pbsnfduax.png

leywrj9xzas34ubpyysj.png

y8ceyrukxx27g7axa1mw.jpg

zdzde7vqrmmm4k6rv5mj.jpg

ghz7fbkxeicba96owjrz.jpg

j5yrxhteowezrvqy54p2.jpg

• Moderators

I'm in LOVE with this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was however still hoping it would have a twin turbo version of the 5.2 flat plane engine.

This is what I thought they would have done.  They showed pics of turbos on a V8 in the GT350 promo videos, and a twin turbo VooDoo has been rumored forever.

If this car performs as crazy as it looks nobody should have a bad thing to say bout it. I believe they introduced it with the V6 because that's the engine they're running at LeMans; I secretly hope they offer a V8 option in the future.

The coolest thing about the style imo is that it's very cutting edge yet the second I saw a picture of it I knew exactly what it was. Still has the classic GT40 shape.

I love the car aesthetically, and the motor will no doubt be amazing but I have to agree with @OnyxCobra... I can't help but yearn for a V8 in the car. It just doesn't seem right for a sixxer to be in that thing, even if it's an amazing 6 cylinder. Doesn't really matter what I think because I'll always be too poor to buy one lol.

• Supporting Member

While I'm on board with the v8 deal, something like smg/pdk whatever is premium to ratcheting in the environment for which this is designed. Cmon ford, v8 option.

• Moderators

I love the car aesthetically, and the motor will no doubt be amazing but I have to agree with @OnyxCobra... I can't help but yearn for a V8 in the car. It just doesn't seem right for a sixxer to be in that thing, even if it's an amazing 6 cylinder. Doesn't really matter what I think because I'll always be too poor to buy one lol.

It's because of Le Mans regulations as I learned last night - normally aspriated 5500cc maximu, turbo/supercharged 4000cc max.  

It's because of Le Mans regulations as I learned last night - normally aspriated 5500cc maximu, turbo/supercharged 4000cc max.  

The technicality lover in me immediately thinks de-stroked, high revving V8 with twins... lol. A super short stroke 5.0 could rev to the moon. Or with the budget of that car, develop a new block. Shit, there's a 10,000 RPM 3.4L V8 out there now that is basically two 4 cylinder motorcycle engines mated at the crank... and satisfies the 4000cc requirement. I'm sure they wouldn't let that fly though.

http://www.radicalperformanceengines.com/assets/uploads/RPV8PDF.pdf

• Moderators

The technicality lover in me immediately thinks de-stroked, high revving V8 with twins... lol. A super short stroke 5.0 could rev to the moon. Or with the budget of that car, develop a new block. Shit, there's a 10,000 RPM 3.4L V8 out there now that is basically two 4 cylinder motorcycle engines mated at the crank... and satisfies the 4000cc requirement. I'm sure they wouldn't let that fly though.

http://www.radicalperformanceengines.com/assets/uploads/RPV8PDF.pdf

There were some other technical regulations, but the displacement one was pretty cut and dry.  With the F150s getting the 3.7L EcoBoost next year, I am surprised they didn't use some form of that motor instead of the 3.5L.

...or something similar to the old 4.0L M3 motor.  Like you said forced induction small displacement V8 that revs to the moon.

Twin turbo V6 automatic is a perfect way to annoy the Ford purists.

I'm about as far from a Ford purist as it gets, and it annoys me lol. I understand the purpose of meeting LeMans requirements, but aside from that it's a bit disappointing. Who knows, maybe it'll sound amazing?

• Moderators

Sounds good idling around, I searched all over and all I can find are little throttle blips pulling it on and off stage. For the love of god, someone just rev the damn thing.

It doesn't sound like a V6, that's for sure.

I'm on the fence with the new GT.... I mean, I love it, but I don't.  I completely understand the aerodynamics of the car based on what I can see, but something about it says Ferrari... When I look at an 05-06 all I see is 'Merica, and I don't get that vibe from this one.  The lack of those 2 cylinders will bother me until the end of time too.  That being said, it's gorgeous and I want one.

• Moderators

Point of reference (and me being an asshole), that's not condensation.  Water is a product of a combustion reaction; condensation is water vapor cooling to liquid form and clinging to a surface..  Just saying.

Point of reference (and me being an asshole), that's not condensation.  Water is a product of a combustion reaction; condensation is water vapor cooling to liquid form and clinging to a surface..  Just saying.

Let me be blunt, whatever. lol 

Point of reference (and me being an asshole), that's not condensation. Water is a product of a combustion reaction; condensation is water vapor cooling to liquid form and clinging to a surface.. Just saying.

Steammmmmmmmmmmmmy