jgib4

Anyone heard of this wideband?

http://www.amazon.com/APSX-D2-Digital-Wideband-Controller/dp/B00NBFHRZM

Talked with joe about a new tune for my car and gonna have to use a wideband this time around.  Anyone heard anything about these?  And does it really matter which brand you use.  I feel like they are all pretty much the same and your paying for the name.  School me if I'm wrong.

I can't say I've heard of that one before. The AEM wideband setup isn't much more (~$20 more) and has a good track record so if be going that route if it was me. The quality of the wideband sensor and the accuracy of the gauge are things that could change from one brand to the next. They might be essentially the same, or they might not.

why not go the AEM route?  From the remote tuners i've talked to, most of them recommended using the AEM anyways.  I bought mine for $164 a month or so back, but now its at $153 with prime if you have it.

http://www.amazon.com/AEM-30-4110-UEGO-Ratio-Gauge/dp/B00N3VGPYS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1422885687&sr=8-1&keywords=AEM+wideband

Im not sure about the APSX one, but the AEM wideband comes with a Bosch wideband sensor.  Not sure why APSX keeps saying "Easier to install!!", the AEM doesn't require any splicing or anything, except hooking up power and ground.  The rest of it uses a NICE connector to the sensor, and some nice connectors up to the gauge itself.  Probably the same thing as APSX. 

I havnt drove with mine yet, but so far i like it.

C667D8F7-A27F-4AB6-9B96-E446C38BF09C_zps

I like that gauge pod you have, looks pretty stock.  I now have guy on another forum selling me his autometer for cheap along with the firewire cable joe needs for tuning. But i did find a few reviews on this piece and they were very good for anyone needing a cheap wideband.  

if im not mistaken( im sure @Det_Riot will correct me) the only company that actually manufactures wide band O2 sensors is Bosch. so while some company's/manufactures may have different connectors the physical sensor is the same

Hmm @Sleeperstang1994 I suppose you're right...I guess that never occurred to me.

Anyway I ran across this shootout of widebands, an interesting read (although the prices listed for the kits in the one chart are pretty high...)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CHIQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.2gnt.com%2Fdocuments%2Fteklein_Wideband_Shootout.pdf&ei=9q3QVNq_AczisATykYKQBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-hHlcjUUq0KWhksoFRfdQT-QYwA&sig2=FnSR4oeEByrlAPyXYD7_uA&bvm=bv.85076809,d.cWc&cad=rja

im not saying the quality of the gauge will not impact the readings. just that the information the sensor gives will be the same. im sure the reading you get from a Defi wide band is far more accurate than say one from some one like Prosport or glowshift ( if they even make a wideband)

from the article, it sounds like the readings will be the same, but the amount of data transmitted in say a 10 second segment will vary between the gauges?  Did i read that right?   So the Innovate reads very quickly and delivers more info per second, and the NGK is way slower with less info deliverd.  

Looks like the readings delivered from the gauge can be way off too, the PLX and NGK have a tolerance of +/-1.00 AFR.  thats HUGE compared to the Innovate and AEM which is +/- .10   

So what im gathering, is that the sensor itself is probably the same, but the gauge may not be able to compute the information and process it fast enough. 

from the article, it sounds like the readings will be the same, but the amount of data transmitted in say a 10 second segment will vary between the gauges?  Did i read that right?   So the Innovate reads very quickly and delivers more info per second, and the NGK is way slower with less info deliverd.  

Looks like the readings delivered from the gauge can be way off too, the PLX and NGK have a tolerance of +/-1.00 AFR.  thats HUGE compared to the Innovate and AEM which is +/- .10   

So what im gathering, is that the sensor itself is probably the same, but the gauge may not be able to compute the information and process it fast enough. 

Yea that's the gist I got from it. I guess it boils down to budget and need. Some people really need the high level of precision, like in a mega boost application where that difference in AFR reading can spell disaster, whereas someone with a mild build might not be able to justify the added expense.

It was cool to see a literal head to head test of them all, I was glad to see the AEM did well since I have one lol

Hmm @Sleeperstang1994 I suppose you're right...I guess that never occurred to me.

Anyway I ran across this shootout of widebands, an interesting read (although the prices listed for the kits in the one chart are pretty high...)

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0CHIQFjAH&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.2gnt.com%2Fdocuments%2Fteklein_Wideband_Shootout.pdf&ei=9q3QVNq_AczisATykYKQBQ&usg=AFQjCNG-hHlcjUUq0KWhksoFRfdQT-QYwA&sig2=FnSR4oeEByrlAPyXYD7_uA&bvm=bv.85076809,d.cWc&cad=rja

wow good find

a0261dc36569ae45772492304e1bb943.jpg

Im running a zextronixs wideband soon to be 2 for bank to bank tuning very nice piece and super thin around half an inch thick if that

Sent from the future

Did you get the 2 or 3?

When it comes to something as crucial as fuel metering... Cheaping out is never something I'd do.

Ive used Zeitronix, Innovate, AEM and PLX. Ive had great success with AEM, but i'll probably never run anything other than Innovate again.

My biggest quam with the AEM was the lack of free air calibration. I noticed that after about 6 months of use, my AEM sensors began to skew.

When it comes to something as crucial as fuel metering... Cheaping out is never something I'd do.

Ive used Zeitronix, Innovate, AEM and PLX. Ive had great success with AEM, but i'll probably never run anything other than Innovate again.

My biggest quam with the AEM was the lack of free air calibration. I noticed that after about 6 months of use, my AEM sensors began to skew.

another vote for Innovate! It is very accurate (compared to my tuner's dyno AFR readings). Like mentioned by @The Mk2  the free air calibration is a very nice feature. The gauge is very slim which was a plus for me. The downside is cost and that it is a little more difficult to install than others I have seen.  

. I'm curious about this "free air calibration" how does it work? What does it do??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Supporting Member

I know I'm late to the party but by my experience Innovate is junk (they generate a ton of radio noise and the output is erratic at best).  The best bang for the buck I've found is Spartan.  They're not as expensive because as the name implies, they are no frills.  The controller is bundled in the cabling, gauges and whatnot you need to get separately.  I run megasquirt so I just use it's dashboard if I need to see what the output is.

https://www.14point7.com/products/spartan-lambda-controller-2

Edited by seijirou