SN95_Justin

1995 GTS 351W swap.. project nytemare

i've been working at this project for a little while now, and even though it's nearing completion, i'm still throwing up a project thread. why? because projects are never "finished"!

like the title says, 351W in a sn95. 

The lucky girl..

ingles_zps37e867f9.jpg

why did i choose to build a 351W over the 302 i already have? well.. reliability.. and as the old saying goes, there's no replacement for displacement.. since later on i plan to go with a D.S.S 408 stroker kit and some form of forced induction.. that i'm still deciding on. do i want the efficiency of a turbo or the parasitic loss of a supercharger?  but that's later on.

lets cut to the chase.. 

Engine

-stock bottom end 

-trickflow twisted wedge 190cc heads with 1.6 roller rockers

-X303 cam

-BBK ceramic coated long tube headers

-Edelbrock victor efi upper and lower intake

-bbk cold air intake

-30lb injectors

-MSD billet distributor

-Moroso 11mm plug wires (got a heck of a deal on these)

-C&L 76mm mass air flow

-solid engine mounts

-Steeda UD pulleys

-Offroad x-pipe with mac 2 chamber and axle dumps

-150 shot go-go juice

i did run into a problem on figuring out how i'm hooking up the throttle cable.. then i was browsing 50resto and found the trickflow egr delete spacer with the throttle cable mounting provisions. was a nobrainer and i didn't have to do any trial and error.. for lack of better words.. redneck engineering.. 

Suspension

-lowering springs

-tubular LCA's

-Steeda adjustable UCA's

-MM C/C plates

Drivetrain

-Tremec 3550

-aluminum driveshaft

-FR billet flywheel

-3.73 rear

I know i'm forgetting some things, but this is a general rundown of what's done to the car..

lets not forget some pictures.. every thread is useless without those!

IMG_20141009_231338_zpslmlpttua.jpg

IMG_20141017_174059_zps9cbwf80i.jpg

I'm not using this timing cover either. i'm using the pre-93' timing cover to be able to use the accessory bracket for the 351W swap. 

IMG_20141019_230137_zpsznvgrcdx.jpg

I know the injectors pictured are 24lb's.. i used them for mockup while I was doing the longer rail cross overs and waiting for the red 30's

IMG_20141014_001403_zpsa9n4f6mp.jpg

da85d8111016a93cbffcecf8de6a6254.jpg

Going to throw a big single turbo at it. Haven't decided if I want to stroke it out when I go all forged internals or not. Might as well lol. Lots of suspension upgrades from maximum motorsports, stifflers and/or team-z. I'm currently building a MS2 v3.0 ECU and going to do a few mods to be able to do boost control and what not.

Currently thinking of switching to the powder coated blue FRPP valve covers since I've having clearance issues with the sheetmetal VC'S and my brake booster.

sent from the taco shack via tap then talk

Thanks! I did originally plan to go with BBK ceramic coated longtubes. Got them and put them on and then took them off and ordered a set of BBK ceramic shorties.

Lol i literally did the same thing... After I had sent back two different sets of BBK longtubes.

Will do. I've only got the power source installed on the board. I need to buy a Jimstim and a testing cable and I should be on my way to finishing it. Very time consuming and patience demanding lol.

For headers, I'm just running the ceramic 351w swap headers 50resto carries. They fit well and are easy to maneuver in and out of the car when removing the engine while they're still attached.. unlike the long tubes lol

So there were a few changes made tonight. Maximum Motorsports solid steering rack bushings were installed to lower the steering rack and it also needed new bushings. Some guy installed offset bushing to where it pushed the rack upwards.. don't know why.. but this achieved the clearance I wanted for the pan to rack clearance.

Also installed the FRPP blue valve covers. Achieved the cover to brake booster clearance I wanted.

Of course, a progress report wouldn't be completed without a picture.. so..

post-763-14243223527417_thumb.jpg

post-763-14243223811647_thumb.jpg

We'll see how well the supplied breather works. Also ran into a problem with the trottle cable. Since I'm not running a EGR spacer, I bought the trick flow adapter that goes between the TB and the plenum. Well.. it hits the fuel pressure regulator and the coolant rails.

So, my choice to fix this is cut off the cruise control extension ( don't know why I didn't already do this..) and get a action of "C" channel stock and make my own adapter to make the mounting where I need it. Hopefully it won't mess with how my throttle operates..

I'm running the trick flow plate with the fox throttle bracket with no clearance problems, if you want I can take a picture?

Please do.. would like to see how everything is fitting for you. my issue is the tall valve covers and the pressure regulator. Coolant rails are movable on my setup. I also ready thay edelbrock had a supplied throttle bracket that would be used in place of the stock bracket. Of course, I can find one for sale online or on their website.

Made a special order with edelbrock for the throttle cable bracket that supposed to go with this intake. Maybe it'll fix it, maybe not. $20 for the bracket is worth the gamble to me.

As for the spacer, I already have the spacer for this intake installed.

@smallblocksn95 yes, please do.. still waiting for my edelbrock bracket to come in..

Also, picked up some cool stuff tonight..

post-763-1425015475993_thumb.jpg

Got a sweet deal on these awesome condition seats. Look like they were never even sat in. Now, to find similar condition front seats or just go with corbeaus.. hmm..

@smallblocksn95 I meant is the bolt pattern to the fuel rail 2 or 3 bolts? That could mean a lot since mine is a 2 bolt. I'm pretty sure the 3 has a smaller footprint than the 2.

@jgib4 I'm not sure about the aftermarket for a Cleveland. Never have done my homework on them really other than the Windsor has larger journals.

As far as power expectancy, anywhere between 350 and 400 rwhp all motor with a good tune. This will also have a 150 shot thrown at it as well. So somewhere around 500 with juice.

I know cleaveland heads are better but i was under the impression most of the parts between c and w were interchangeable, could be wrong though.  Thats pretty respectable numbers though.

@smallblocksn95 nevermind. I see that it's a 2 bolt. You're also running what looks to be a trick flow upper. Which pushes the TB mounting out further. With the edelbrock victor efi intake, it relocated the mounting surface to what I believe to be towards the centerline of the engine. Thus, leads my to my problem.

I did do some redneck engineering and cut some aluminum stock and made a temporary bracket until my edelbrock bracket gets here. We'll see how everything works out.

Also, is that the stock coolant rail? I couldn't run a stock fox rail with this edelbrock lower. It hit the number 1 injector.

What dyno did you run on to get those numbers?

Hmm. May have to go to my other garage and grab the extra set I have and see if those work better.

@jgib4 here's a good link to take a look at. Very informative on what SBF engines have what interchangeable parts.

http://diyford.com/rotating-assembly-interchange-small-block-ford-engines/

Finally got my bracket I had to special order from edelbrock Brock today. Also got back some parts I needed fabricated. Didn't really do much to the car but fingers crossed for it to be on the road this weekend! Just in time for fire school!

c220b766405778b6a544c04b358bcd52.jpg

It's almost time to start up. Need to find a belt that's long enough, hook up a few hoses, wires, add fluids and odds and ends.

Fabricated a boss and drilled and tapped for a new location for the alternator to raise it up about an inch. Had interference with the valve cover. 178c5bc21131f8c3f92402c8ba86c904.jpg

Also installed the MM solid steering rack bushings a while back.

Also thinking about relocating the battery to the trunk since it's about an inch from my AC compressor now..

Got a little bit done today.. or should I say alot? Car is totally back together minus radiator hoses and coolant. Didn't start up due to my neighbor having a 9 month old and lots of guns.

Posts are worthless without pictures.. so here ya go!

bc69c736345b34ae6402691483b72503.jpg

Did you get you coolant lines to fit? The Victor lower has the coolant temp sensor/heater line towards the centerline of the engine so the factory hardlines will hit your injectors. Looks like you already got it squared away though. Everything looks great! Looks oddly familiar ;)

Did you get you coolant lines to fit? The Victor lower has the coolant temp sensor/heater line towards the centerline of the engine so the factory hardlines will hit your injectors. Looks like you already got it squared away though. Everything looks great! Looks oddly familiar ;)

I did. Cut the hardlines separate from eachother. But I also figured that out about the victor lower. Still waffling between the way I'm running it now or going with the nylon braided lines.

Are you on SEFB as well? Or?

Car still isn't running. Haven't messed with it much this week since it's my.first week of fire academy. Which means lots of PT and homework. Messed with it a little tonight after buying a new battery and I can't get it to crank. Timing is TDC on compression, it's getting fuel, it's getting spark. Read somewhere that it should be set to 10bdc for initial startup. Going to try this method tomorrow when I won't wake up the neighbor hood. They don't like muffler less cars..