Younts_Autosport

The Scourge's Budget Supercar - '02 Saleen S281SC

So around December/January I finally ended a months-long search for a new Mustang. Considering I graduate pharmacy school in May and the "quarter-life crisis" I was experiencing through much of 2014, I decided to purchase one of my dream cars, a Saleen S281. I searched far and wide and found the perfect one sitting all the way across the United States from me in the state of Washington. Despite how crazy the whole scenario felt to me and how much I debated, I ultimately negotiated and paid near my asking price for the car. The car was shipped to me and I received it mid-January. I've been pretty quiet about owning it thus far as I was waiting for the car show season to pick up and also bought a few pieces to get the car back up to prime shape (emblems, etc.).

Now that spring is here I can finally enjoy her. She's my "poor man's supercar" and I am absolutely thrilled to own her.

2002 Saleen S281SC. True Blue (same color as my V6). 5-speed. 42,000 miles.

DSCN1333_zps7vruhfin.jpg

DSCN1336_zpsyqvqseis.jpg

DSCN1337_zpsrjpp9hly.jpg

Alright man! Glad to see you found what you wanted and competed what must have been quite the transaction. (Washington, damn!)

Nice mileage. Anything done to it?

There's a slight chance I'll get to go to MW this year and see it. Hope so.

Thank you, everyone! I definitely made the right decision with this car. I plan to take more pictures sometime soon.

The car was mostly stock when it arrived. Previous owners had put a K&N filter on it and a Hurst shifter, had done some funky stuff with the emblems and the dealership I bought it from had taken the build number and windshield decals off. I started out taking care of all the small stuff including replacing those decals, buying new side emblems, taking the honeycomb grill out of the front, and installing my go-to coin holder delete inside. I also replaced the shifter handle that was on the Hurst. A previous owner had one of those ridiculous handles that swept back and downward, making it super-difficult to put the car in gear. I'm using a stock Ford handle now. The only other thing I've done thus far is silver letters on the back bumper.

I do have a number of things I'd like for the car...

• Additional Saleen gauges on the a-pillar (I do have the boost/temp gauges on the dash but I'm planning to mount oil temp/fuel pressure gauges on the a-pillar)
  • MoSaleen idler pulley (I believe the Eaton is running a smaller pulley already, 2.6" maybe, and as far I know THE TUNE IS STOCK!)
  • Some form of cold air intake system (I don't know of one that fits specifically so any input on where to find one or modifying one to fit I would appreciate)
  • Saleen MOMO shift knob (I'd love the carbon fiber MOMO knob but haven't found it in stock anywhere)
  • Carbon Driven door handle bezels and instrument cluster overlay (as soon as I have a spare lens I can cut into, since every one around here is fused to the black plastic)
  • Shrader Performance rear seat delete
  • Get a copy of the letter of authenticity from Saleen
  • Down the road: Stiffler’s FIT system, new front seat upholstery

Since this is my "budget supercar" I'm gonna try to go about this with an emphasis on quality. Not that I wouldn't normally but I've had to cut a few corners before on the V6 and there will hopefully be none of that here.

first i've seen of that shrader RSD.  doesn't seem too bad since it actually removes the headrest on top.  i still think i like the KDesigns version better.

Thanks, everybody

Looks good! That's awesome how it resembles your 6 so well!

Thanks! I was looking at a few different colors, although the dream was really a blue one. I checked out a few Sonic Blues and even came close to traveling to look at an Atlantic Blue convertible. Ultimately, the right one for me at the right price was this True Blue model. It's funny, though, that my V6 looks almost like a darker shade of blue next to the Saleen. I'm guessing it's that faded from ~8 years of being out in the elements.

first i've seen of that shrader RSD.  doesn't seem too bad since it actually removes the headrest on top.  i still think i like the KDesigns version better.

The KDezines looks like a nice kit. I just go with Shrader Performance since they're fairly local to me. 1 to 1.5 hr drive for me here in NC.

Love the simple approach you're taking to the car.  I always thought those cars needed very little more than a shifter, subframe connectors and a nice exhaust.

Huge fan of the color, too.  I'm probably in the minority, but I've always liked True Blue way better than Sonic Blue.

Great car man! Congrats. I like your plan, too. Can't wait to see it all come together. Are you keeping your other one?

Thank you! I'm actually going to keep both cars. God forbid, a financial crisis is likely the only thing that would make me sell this car, and if that did occur I'll still clutch my old V6 for dear life (way too much sentimental value).

Love the simple approach you're taking to the car.  I always thought those cars needed very little more than a shifter, subframe connectors and a nice exhaust.

Huge fan of the color, too.  I'm probably in the minority, but I've always liked True Blue way better than Sonic Blue.

I think it worked out for the best since True Blue is becoming such a rare color, from my perspective at least, especially on a Saleen. Thanks for the compliments!

Hopefully I can get some more pictures of her up here soon. In the meantime, here's a look at the current project I'm working on, a-pillar gauges.

I discovered some of the old Saleen gauges floating around on eBay that match my boost/intercooler temp gauges in the dash. Right now, I have an oil temperature gauge and a sending unit, and my Stewart Warner sending unit for fuel pressure arrived this week. I still have to snag a fuel pressure gauge off eBay (it's a lot more expensive than my oil temp gauge was) and it looks like I'll have to find a fitting to adapt the sending unit to the rail (not the right size). I really don't want to have to tap the oil pan for the temperature probe so I guess I'll have to tee it in down by the filter.

The plan is to install these gauges in a Speed of Sound pillar. I contacted SOS and I'm able to ship my stock pillar to them to modify. I plan to do that soon and I think this will all come together into a very clean mod

DSCN1349_zpseuzbm9wd.jpg

LOOKS GOOD. I always like the SOS pod set up. I however was not aware that they just modified the factory pillar. very cool.

The way I understand it they were making their own pods from Ford parts until Ford discontinued them. For the last year or so their website has said they would get a program going soon that allowed you to send in your own pillars. I didn't know it was already going on, though, until I e-mailed them earlier this year. It's only $125 or so plus the cost to send it to them, a lot cheaper than the pods were when you could buy them brand new.

After hitting some dead ends I found what I swear is the one place that still has the Momo shift knobs that Saleen used. I've been using a factory Ford knob (which has been a fine knob) but I wanted a genuine Saleen piece and I believe I found it. Mine arrived this past week, purchased from what I think is Saleen Speedlab's eBay store. It's on and already has served me well during all that cruising I was able to do Saturday night.

DSCN1356_zpsgvbnyrca.jpg

DSCN1352_zpst5zce1xu.jpg

Nice. I think I'd be tempted to buy more than one with that and some of these other rare parts on this car that you may come across. Just in case, like with the knob, if it wears out or gets scratched or anything. I mean, who knows, you might have the car for the next thirty+ years and it might need a little freshening up one day.

I would love to be putting more of my plan into action here but progress on both my projects is slow-going since I'm about to graduate and I'm trying to save money until I get a job lined up. Now that I mention it, finally completing pharmacy school is likely the biggest and best news I have right now (woooooooo).

Anyways, I was at Pro-Dyno a few weekends back for a car show and had the Saleen dynoed. When I bought the car it had a smaller blower pulley and a stock tune so perhaps it was running lean, it actually was. Still, I was happy with the numbers considering I haven't put any work into the car yet and the series II SC. Gobs more torque than I expected. In the next few months I'd like to get the motor side of things squared away. I don't have big plans, at least not yet. The plan right now is to:

- Figure out a CAI set-up (might be a DIY job with the lack of aftermarket support I've found, input would be greatly appreciated from others, maybe @WildWillyWalker knows a trick or two)

- MoSaleen idler

- Dyno tune

As always, I'm happy to hear your thoughts on this, and any suggestions as well. Still a novice with the whole supercharged V8 thing.

*****EDIT 5/7/15 - ACCIDENTALLY POSTED V6 DYNO SHEET HERE, SEE PAGE 2 FOR ACTUAL SALEEN SHEET*****

DynoSheet_zps0fb8ab5a.jpg

*****EDIT 5/7/15 - ACCIDENTALLY POSTED V6 DYNO SHEET HERE, SEE PAGE 2 FOR ACTUAL SALEEN SHEET*****

Attended a local car show on Saturday and tried to get a few more pictures of the Saleen while I was there. I made sure to get a shot of the motor, too. This thread was missing one of those. I have some work to do underneath the hood and hopefully I can take care of most of it in the next few months.

DSCN1398_zps0kkbg71x.jpg

DSCN1400_zpsy4mggyo7.jpg

DSCN1382_zpsee0fvuv5.jpg

DSCN1412_zpszi5m2kiu.jpg

DSCN1413_zpsddydas6b.jpg

those numbers seem really low for what it should be with the supercharged model.  isn't stock supposed to be 350 and over 400 tq?  definitely needs a tune then

I was hoping those numbers were for the the sixxer... maybe the dyno guy didnt know what he was doing and didnt put any load on it... I only say that cause my car put down a whopping 135hp and 218tq....

I would love to be putting more of my plan into action here but progress on both my projects is slow-going since I'm about to graduate and I'm trying to save money until I get a job lined up. Now that I mention it, finally completing pharmacy school is likely the biggest and best news I have right now (woooooooo).

Anyways, I was at Pro-Dyno a few weekends back for a car show and had the Saleen dynoed. When I bought the car it had a smaller blower pulley and a stock tune so perhaps it was running lean, it actually was. Still, I was happy with the numbers considering I haven't put any work into the car yet and the series II SC. Gobs more torque than I expected. In the next few months I'd like to get the motor side of things squared away. I don't have big plans, at least not yet. The plan right now is to:

- Figure out a CAI set-up (might be a DIY job with the lack of aftermarket support I've found, input would be greatly appreciated from others, maybe @WildWillyWalker knows a trick or two)

- MoSaleen idler

- Dyno tune

As always, I'm happy to hear your thoughts on this, and any suggestions as well. Still a novice with the whole supercharged V8 thing.

DynoSheet_zps0fb8ab5a.jpg

Whoa, something is not right here.  I would expect my tired out stock NPI 2v to have those numbers :-/   

woah wuhhhh

Whoa, something is not right here.  I would expect my tired out stock NPI 2v to have those numbers :-/   

I was hoping those numbers were for the the sixxer... maybe the dyno guy didnt know what he was doing and didnt put any load on it... I only say that cause my car put down a whopping 135hp and 218tq....

Is there a boost leak? Those numbers are incredibly low.

That's what I was thinking. Those numbers resemble a stock na motors numbers.

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

those numbers seem really low for what it should be with the supercharged model.  isn't stock supposed to be 350 and over 400 tq?  definitely needs a tune then

Damn guys, those numbers ARE low 'cause I uploaded my old V6 dyno sheet...ugh

there you go.  soooooo much better!  i was trying to be polite as possible but i was like holy shit something is seriously wrong with that saleen if it's putting out such low numbers.