Younts_Autosport

The Scourge's Budget Supercar - '02 Saleen S281SC

What does a naturally aspirated PI 2-valve normally dyno at?  I'm sure it's a real fun car but I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher.  Either that or centri cars just make a lot more than roots cars do...

What does a naturally aspirated PI 2-valve normally dyno at?  I'm sure it's a real fun car but I'm surprised the numbers aren't higher.  Either that or centri cars just make a lot more than roots cars do...

My guess is that a PI 2V would make like 215-220 on a dyno (??). I think Saleens with the series II blower were only rated at ~350 to the flywheel so about 300 to the wheels sounds okay to me, but I'm not extremely knowledgeable with these cars. However, I don't know if the car just needs a tune that bad or if it's actually making good power for what it is, from what I hear the series II isn't amazingly efficient and factory power might've been exaggerated. Who knows? On a positive note, the car is a blast to drive from my perspective, considering the 177 horses in my daily driver.

Congrats!!!!!!!

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

Thanks!

With a canned tune (93oct), CAI, catback, UDPs, 75mm TB, and Plenum my 02 GT made 254rwhp and 314lb/ft. That being said the guy said my car made 10-15 hp and lb/ft more than what all other similar cars he had dyno'd made. Once I threw on an catted x pipe, I was able to pull on my buddies tuned Lightning.

Okay folks, I'm looking for advice on some things if anyone has input:

1) CAI - I'm still looking into making my own intake since I haven't found a specific one for sale. That's where I'm running into problems. I have a 4" Specter intake tube (got a kit made for another vehicle for free) that I thought about using but I still have to make it work and might have to cut the pipe and source up couplers to make it all fit. The car came to me with a C&L mass air flow sensor and an air filter dropped in place of the stock box and for now I'm still running this with a factory intake tube. I'm considering just keeping the stock tube if I have too hard of a time creating an intake, and maybe getting a heat shield for something for the filter. I don't imagine the factory tube flows that badly, it just looks bad. Not sure of my best course of action at the current time.

2) Exhaust - High-flow cats, yes or no? I'm going for a more high-pitched, "supercar-like" sound so I'm keeping the x-pipe and Borlas but I'm not certain yet on what it will sound like with high-flows and if the set-up will be much louder with them. The car sounds great under acceleration but is fairly quiet on idle. I also don't want to affect low-end power or torque by decreasing back pressure, if that would even occur.

3) Supercharger pulley - I'm running the 2.8" that was on when I bought the car. I'd prefer to leave it be and run a MoSaleen idler pulley but would I find that much added benefit in a smaller pulley knowing that the supercharger can only be so efficient. If my boost gauge is fairly accurate then I've made maybe 7 lbs of boost before, although I try not to test too often since the car is running lean.

Thanks, everybody!

1.  it doesn't look too different then a 96-98 cobra/01 bullit intake.  might see about finding one of them cheap and testing it out.  might be easier than making your own from scratch if you can just slightly modify an existing one.  if your set on making it yourself, just get some pieces of 4" PVC and some couplers and mock it up.  drill some holes and rubber grommets for the incoming lines. 

2. do you need cats for inspection in your state?  yes, then hi-flows.  no, then off road no question.

3. start with the idler pulley.  you can always get a smaller pulley down the road if you want more boost. 

Keep the catted pipe for emissions and get an O/R Prochamber; I heard they sound amazing with Borla. My setup for my vert will be MAC LTs, BBK Catted X for emissions, MAC O/R Prochamber for the rest of the time, and Borla Stingers. For my Cobra it will be ARH Headers with their catted X and O/R X blowing into a Bassani catback with Borla XR1s welded in. I want to get an O/R H to fit the ARH 3" stuff but I have yet to for the Cobra. I may grab an O/R H for a change up on the vert every now and then, H Pipes sound good with Borlas.

1.  it doesn't look too different then a 96-98 cobra/01 bullit intake.  might see about finding one of them cheap and testing it out.  might be easier than making your own from scratch if you can just slightly modify an existing one.  if your set on making it yourself, just get some pieces of 4" PVC and some couplers and mock it up.  drill some holes and rubber grommets for the incoming lines. 

The only problem with the cobra ones is that they have an oval throttle body.  BUT!!   What about a thunderbird supercoupe intake?  

finished-2.png

Idk if its different on a 2V, but you gain nothing by switching to an aftermarket throttle body on a 4V.  If it were me I would just save my money.

i would forgo it for now but when you do want to get one, accufab all the way.  they flow more even at the same size rating.  and quality is top notch.

I shipped my A-pillar off to Speed of Sound earlier this week and it arrived yesterday ready to mount the Saleen gauges. The pillar looks great, quality appears likewise. I still have to source up some fittings for the sending units and the wiring but the whole set-up should be installed in the coming weeks. Very excited to not only be working on these gauges but to be ordering some other new parts for the Saleen soon!

DSCN1476_zpsg1lln11i.jpg

Does speed of sound still do this for 94-98 pillars or just newer?!?! They used to sell those complete and I wanted one badly but then they stopped selling them not even a week before I was on a order.

I believe they can still make the 94-98 pillars, too. You just have to ship them your stock pillar. Since the website hasn't been updated in so long I had to e-mail them to find out that they were now converting customer pillars. I imagine if they did my '02 pillar they'd still be able to do your '95. I talked to Alan, the owner, is the guy I talked to through e-mail who told me everything I needed to do to ship my pillar, his e-mail is alan@speedofsoundllc.com

Okay folks, I'm looking for advice on some things if anyone has input:

1) CAI - I'm still looking into making my own intake since I haven't found a specific one for sale. That's where I'm running into problems. I have a 4" Specter intake tube (got a kit made for another vehicle for free) that I thought about using but I still have to make it work and might have to cut the pipe and source up couplers to make it all fit. The car came to me with a C&L mass air flow sensor and an air filter dropped in place of the stock box and for now I'm still running this with a factory intake tube. I'm considering just keeping the stock tube if I have too hard of a time creating an intake, and maybe getting a heat shield for something for the filter. I don't imagine the factory tube flows that badly, it just looks bad. Not sure of my best course of action at the current time.

Thanks, everybody!

You ever find a CAI?

http://tunableinduction.com/9604_supercharged.htm

I have seen the meter forward kit above used with a custom pipe from the meter to TB. 

You ever find a CAI?

http://tunableinduction.com/9604_supercharged.htm

I have seen the meter forward kit above used with a custom pipe from the meter to TB. 

I looked into Tunable Induction but my case actually got a bit more complicated when I realized the car came to me with a C&L MAF and it wouldn't work with the intakes like the stock MAF did, and I didn't want to spend the money on the nice supercharged intake kit to probably have to modify it. I liked the meter forward kit, too, but again it looked like the C&L MAF wouldn't work. I'm actually now in the process of building my own intake out of PVC pipe. Maybe it'll look alright after I finish and paint it but it's the best thing I've come up with so far and has to be better looking than stock. Hopefully I can get some pictures of the progress posted soon. Thanks for the suggestions.

Nice saleen.truly love the new edge saleens

Thank you, sir.

You mind me asking what they charged to do that since they are using your factory pillar?!?

No problem, meant to reply to you earlier in the month. It was $125 and I had to also pay to ship it to them. They covered return shipping and the turnaround was quick. They're located in Tennessee so it should be quick for you.

So I've been busy working on the induction side of the car. I decided I wanted an Accufab throttle body, ordered it and discovered that, unfortunately, my Saleen supercharger inlet was going to need modification. The throttle blade on the Accufab wasn't clearing the opening of the inlet. We had to grind and sand down the opening, which I was actually happy to do considering the crudely casted inlet and how much material was there (you could tell a lot needed to be removed by comparing it to the gasket). We spent some time sanding the opening by hand to smooth it all out. Didn't exactly gasket-match it but at least the throttle blade now clears and hopefully that inlet flows a tiny amount better now. One of these days I'll have the supercharger and inlet ported.

ALSO does anyone know why I can upload pictures from my phone here and it turns them upside down. 'Cause I even tried to flip them before I uploaded them so they would upload right side up and, umm, they're still upside down...

post-612-0-60177900-1435545280_thumb.jpg

post-612-0-79377800-1435545504_thumb.jpg

sometimes the phone may actually be upside down when you take the pics.  It may be showing up correctly, but if you turn your phone around the other way and snap the pic it may upload right side up then.  just a thought.

That's probably it. It sounds so obvious now that you mention it, but then I have to yell out loud because the phone readjusts the pictures and displays them to me correctly on the phone and I can't remember if they were taken UPSIDE DOWN!        **(throws phone)**

Congrats on the new car and the graduation, I love the looks of the new edge Saleens. I will not make MW this year but will try to be in Charlotte for the fall autofair

That's probably it. It sounds so obvious now that you mention it, but then I have to yell out loud because the phone readjusts the pictures and displays them to me correctly on the phone and I can't remember if they were taken UPSIDE DOWN!        **(throws phone)**

I had that issue once trying to upload to facebook.  i think they actually fixed that bug though.   oh well, just make sure you throw the phone at something solid!

Congrats on the new car and the graduation, I love the looks of the new edge Saleens. I will not make MW this year but will try to be in Charlotte for the fall autofair

Thank you, sir. Sad to hear you won't make it to Mustang Week but I'm going to try to make the fall Autofair so hopefully I'll see you there. I've been meaning to attend one of the Autofair events for several years now but haven't, maybe now that I'm out of school and getting settled I can make arrangements.

So here's an update. After some experimentation and mock-ups I finally have a homemade cold air intake that is close to being finished. Yes, it is indeed made out of PVC pipe. We sanded and paint-matched it as best we could. I think that the car was repainted at some point and it appears to be a tad off from what I really know to be True Blue, not that that's a problem. I honestly think this intake is going to look better than the factory tube as long as it holds up during initial testing (already needs some work after the first drive today).

I hope it doesn't look obviously too much like plumbing pipe but I can't say if it does for sure since I've been building it. Nevertheless, if it continues to look decent and can handle the job I'll straighten up the MAF, redo the hose clamps and tidy up a bit. What do y'all think?

post-612-0-20962100-1436507803_thumb.jpe

post-612-0-69976300-1436507831_thumb.jpg

you can tell it's PVC if you know to look for it.  i don't think that's a bad thing though.  i think it looks a lot better than the stock rubber crap in there.  you could cut the joining part and just put a coupler there instead.  or hell, get a coupler and throw it over the joining portion of the two pieces to make it look like it's just two different pieces.

I think the intake looks pretty good IMO. Honestly there's nothing wrong with using PVC... the plastic doesn't heat soak like a metal intake would, and people pay big bucks for a JLT intake which is...PVC... lol. It's just PVC painted up pretty.

I think the intake looks pretty good IMO. Honestly there's nothing wrong with using PVC... the plastic doesn't heat soak like a metal intake would, and people pay big bucks for a JLT intake which is...PVC... lol. It's just PVC painted up pretty.

you do nice clean looking simple mods. i think the pvc painted looks right at home honestly. 

I always hated on PVC intakes. however yours looks well done and right at home. also never really thought about it but, like Dan said JLT's are just molded PVC sooooo whatever. well done sir!

Nice intake.  I've thought about doing that on my notch and then paint to match.

Tastefully done!

Thanks, everybody! The intake is off the car at the moment until I can come up with a bracket to support the brick-heavy C&L MAF housing. I also have one of JLT's plastic heat shields that should hide the filter and most of the MAF housing. Car projects are moving at a snail's pace right now but I've begun training with my new employer and all my financial woes will hopefully be resolved in the near future.

Thanks, everybody! The intake is off the car at the moment until I can come up with a bracket to support the brick-heavy C&L MAF housing. I also have one of JLT's plastic heat shields that should hide the filter and most of the MAF housing. Car projects are moving at a snail's pace right now but I've begun training with my new employer and all my financial woes will hopefully be resolved in the near future.

Sell that C&L MAF it is just added weight. A 90mm from a Lightning is super light and better than the C&L. C&L were popular on fox's and are rarely seen on modular cars because we can use the Lightning or even better one from SCT which is also lightweight. Honestly the stock MAF is 80mm,maybe even 85mm on 99-04, and more than capable on a 300rwhp car. 

First update in a long time: Ordered the MoSaleen idler a few weeks ago and installed this evening. My concern right now is that it's not centered with the belt, it's actually flush with the front side of the belt. I don't want to chew a belt up or something so do I need to center this thing up or is there even an issue? I've let the car run for several minutes with no visible issues.

First update in a long time: Ordered the MoSaleen idler a few weeks ago and installed this evening. My concern right now is that it's not centered with the belt, it's actually flush with the front side of the belt. I don't want to chew a belt up or something so do I need to center this thing up or is there even an issue? I've let the car run for several minutes with no visible issues.

how far off is it?  picture?

meh, i wouldn't worry too much.  just keep an eye on it in the beginning.  my only concern would be when you put some load/boost to it will it articulate at all and shift on the pulley.  i highly doubt it though.