scottydsntknow

2000 Mustang GT Steeda built #0048

Long time no post, I kinda forgot about this forum TBTH but then went on the other forum and got the PM about how the new ownership basically screwed that site in the ass with a spiked war dildo and to come here instead.  So back here.

Car is still not done but getting there.  I have to have it done by early October or I need to sell it as a roller.  I'm active military and have orders to Southwest Spain for 4 years and I'm leaving right after Christmas.  Very excited about that and I want to take this car with as the 1 car that gets shipped over by the military for free.  These cars TURN heads in Europe and are  basically like Skylines are here but over there since they were never available.  

So what is going on... 

IRS is about to go in, Prothane Subframe and front diff bushings, FTBR in the control arms and rear mount.  I think I may have had the easiest stock rubber LCA bushings to remove ever, they came right out with a 1/2 ratchet, no breaker bar needed...  Steeda rear brace with fresh RP fluid and a lube locker gasket to keep that all solid.  Was going to go in last weekend but found a slightly loose bolt in the rear mount and turns out it was stripped out (the mount).  Whole IRS had to come back apart but luckily that's easy.  Just waiting on the FTBR mount (thank GOD for FTBR...) to arrive tomorrow and it'll all go back together.  

40k original mile 4V on the stand in the garage.  Has the 190 duration Lincoln (mach/termi) cams in it and I was going to swap/degree them with a 202 duration set I got out of a 99 Cobra for free but no time or $$$ for that right now.  Leaving the stock cams in it as they were installed from the factory vs risking me screwing it up and breaking something.

Have the correct 4V brackets for the Novi 2000, going to run it non-intercooled between 6 and 8lbs of boost with a safe tune for a reliable 400 or so to the wheels with a 6800 redline and call it a day.  Have EVERYTHING to get this done sitting in the garage right now, that happens as soon as the car is back on the ground with the IRS installed.

So basically every weekend from now till I get the 4V in and get a startup tune on it is going to be busting ass on this thing.  Oh, going to drop the tank and do the fuel pump too since I have no idea whats in it and if its the OEM pump or what.  Stock line and rails to Terminator injectors.  

• Moderators

Make sure to put in a new fuel filter while you are under there. The IRS makes it damn near impossible to change it.

Welcome back, by the way. I was wondering what happened to you.

As an update, the IRS has been done for awhile, went in just fine.  

Old engine is out, Novi 2000 is sold to fund a proper bottom end build on the 2V and I'll buy a KB 2.1 kit later on down the road which is what I've wanted to do and should have done with my last 2V car also.  

.020 WAP block

Stock crank

Diamond -19cc pistons

Boss rods

Stock low mile head with new springs

Stock PI intake

Cushman 2.5 blower cams

Still tearing down the original engine, have everything on hand except the cams.  Will get to putting the WAP together as soon as teardown is done.

• Thanks 1

Well nothing like the above got done.  Instead I came across too good of a deal on a 4V to pass up.  50k mile Continental 4V.  Got an adapter for the FWD block.  Few gotchas with that block but nothing you can't fix with basic power tools and using a few things from the Conti like the dipstick tube.  Engine is in, need to bolt the accessories to it and extend the wires on the coils and do the alt wires and then load a 4V tune and start it.  Have 3 weeks to have it done, I'm military with orders to Spain and we leave 2 January.  Need to have this thing running by mid December at the latest.  Wish me luck lol. 

And can't figure out how to attach files on this forum... blah...

Because the adapter was $75 and the engine was $500 and already had C heads and the 202 duration 99 Cobra cams.  Mach intake was $250.  I had everything else from my old 2V and a few 4V engines I parted out last year like timing cover, tstat setup, alt etc...  I have less than $1k in parts into this swap lol.  There were a bunch of little "gotchas" but everything was all fixable with a drill or grinder.

Engine is in and base tune is loaded.  Just datalogged it the other day and waiting on my tuner to get me back a revised file.  Even with the base tune on it it idles great at 750 and sounds AWESOME.  No leaks, no issues with cooling or oil pressure and everything works.

Just need to put the front bumper and hood on.  That is literally it.  Going to make it in time to take it with me it looks like.

Edited by scottydsntknow

Drove it for the first time tonight.  Everything is done except the tune being finalized.  And the clutch feels kinda mushy and R is grinding so I express ordered a MM quadrant and a microclick firewall adjuster.  Trying to trade my stock hood plus cash to a local guy for his silver Steeda cowl hood but we'll see.  If not I might go grab a mint OEM 99/01 Cobra hood from a yard 2 hours away but I'd prefer not to make that drive...  Or I'll just throw on the 2000 hood and hate it till I get a black scoop to bolt onto it...

• Like 1

Hell yeah dude its almost fully dialed in now too.  I'm at the point where I just sent a datalog under load in 4th from 1500-4K (which put me at like 100mph with the 3.27s lol).  Car runs GREAT.  The FTBR IRS is omfg solid... like... if I ever sell this car or just get another New Edge the FIRST thing that is happening is the SRA is going bye.  Its THAT much of a difference.  There are only a few little things to get ironed out.  Steering wheel shimmy at highway speeds which I've had before and has ALWAYS been A arm bushings which I can just replace with poly bushings or get some tubular arms or see if I can find some NOS Termis.  I will also need to hit the u-pull tomorrow or next week sometime to load up on misc parts to throw in the trunk for when I ship it over.  

edit:  that fuel pressure gauge is dead right now, that is not actual FP lol.  Going to put oil in there and then worry about where the water/boost goes later.  Probably a SoS pillar.

indriveway.jpg

driving.jpg

Edited by scottydsntknow

Ah... Remote tuning can be so much fun. I still need to send a final 2k to 6k in 3rd gear pull to my tuner. Sooo much fun!! I found the best place for such shenanigans in merging into the I-10 in a less populated stretch.

edit: I’m certain I found this thread on another forum a few weeks ago and watched your first start video. It does sound sweet!

• Like 1

WOT pulls to 6500 good on the AFR.  IAC is being stupid so I might need to change to the 2V IAC and mod the air intake for another tube.  The good news is that is stupid easy on a stock 4V air intake, there is a flat "boss" that would be perfect for a PCV fitting for a hose to attach to.  I'll worry about that when I get there along with 7k+ tuning... but I'm going to underdrive the accessories before I start routinely turning it to 7k... I'm not someone who puts any stock in "pullies make 8-10rwhp zomg!" but I also would like my alt and water pump to last...  I'm going to get the Steeda set since the crank is actually a SFI pully and not some piggyback crap.  

But... the car is currently on the car trailer to take to Baltimore for shipping to Spain.  I was going to take it tomorrow but we are supposed to get some crazy snow tonight so Friday morning it is when the roads are clear and 0 precip is forecast.  Fun wakeup at 4:30 but it is what it is.  

Edited by scottydsntknow

Pic of it on the trailer last night...  :(  But good to know I'm sending it with me and the temps there=year round enjoyment of the car.  

It is about 3" of snow on the ground now so good call not taking it today I guess...  Waking up retarded early tomorrow to take it.  

trailered.jpg

Its getting ready to leave Baltimore... I'm already over here loving it so far.  60 degrees F and sunny and we were at the beach today and super good wine is $6USD a bottle lol.  Food is cheap as hell too and really REALLY good.  Going for a second showing on a house we really like tomorrow.  Marble floors, fireplace, nice kitchen, 3 really nice big american size bedroom and 3 full baths with the Master being REAL big.  Outside is super private, its in one of the nicest small cities in the region (El Puerto de Santa Maria) and really nice tile patio, good yard, off street gated parking with cover for the Stang and lemon/olive/banana trees too lol.  Yard maintenance included, solar panels so the power bill is stupid low (like $75USD a month) and water is $60USD a month.  I get $800USD a month for utilities lol.

Excited but driving a rental VW Golf with a really sporty suspension (euro) is making me REALLY want my stang here.  There is a Mustang club on base for the dozen or so ppl who own them.  There is another silver New Edge (mine is nicer lol), a few Coyotes, a 6 cyl New Edge, a few 05-09 3V cars and I probably haven't seen a few yet but these are like... the ONLY Mustangs in Spain along with the few serviceppl who have them in Seville.  

I'm here 4 years.  I can probably do another 4 here or in Germany.  That'll put me at 22 years and if we love it living in Europe I'll try to retire somewhere over here.  If not I'll be able to go till 24 years and can PCS back to the USA on the gov't dime basically to any base I choose and then retire there.  Its like... a special dispensation move if you are close to retirement and need to come back to the CONUS.  

Mustang is getting ready to leave Baltimore still... those bastards need to hurry and get it on the boat... once its on the boat figure 7-10 for it to get to Germany and then its overland to here.  So... probably looking at another month.  :(

IMG20180516212100.jpg

I keep forgetting to update this thread.  Car has been here for a few months now.  Got it through Spanish inspection, got a tweak to my tune from my tuner but it looks like he nailed the tune for the octane out here on base.  Did the front brakes too, backs are still good but I'll do them too.  Got a torque wrench that goes to 250 so I can make sure the IRS halfshaft nuts are good every time I rotate the tires.  

Did the stereo, right into the Mach 460 and it honestly sounds way better than I thought it would.  Cut the green/white/grey/purple pigtail off the old line level adapter that was in there and soldered RCA plugs directly onto it and plugged them into my HU and it worked great.  Bluetooth, Pioneer ARC app, front USB and aux, tons of options for a $100 stereo.  I always get Pioneer and I'm always satisfied.  No CD player because its not 2008 anymore.  HU is only half as deep as traditional ones because of it and a lot more space so the RCAs aren't bound up or anything against the dash plastic.  

IMG20180617213346.jpg

IMG20180617170618.jpg

Little BS cosmetic mod but I like it, changed the logo from blue Steeda to black Steeda.  The old one was original to the car in 2000 and was halfway off anyway... I'm surprised it made it as long as it did lol.  

IMG20180623210851.jpg

Next up?  Fix the rest of the cosmetic stuff and fix the last thing that is left to fix from the dipshit previous owner which is the window glass.  

Trying need to go through the front suspension and bushings.  New steering rack bushings, Termi A arms with new bushings and balljoints, new swaybar bushings and heim joint endlinks.  Not planning on going aftermarket K, I don't see a reason to.  Any beefy one is not going to save much weight and I like the protection and strength of the stocker.  

Then... I'm going to enjoy driving it and toss around whether I want to boost the JY motor that is in there or just wait till I decide on a transmission.  By far the most economical thing for me would be to get ahold of Pro Force Performance and get a T45 kit with billet forks, all new guts and a 26 spline shaft and rebuild it myself because I don't think any transmission can make the 75lb milair weight limit to get out here without paying out of my ass for international shipping.  It shifts ok now, a little notchy and the input is whining a LITTLE in low RPM, low gear but its not bad at all.  Has not gotten any worse in 1500 miles, actually quieted down a bit tbth especially at idle in neutral with the clutch engaged.  

For boost... honestly if I can get an Eaton swap under the stock GT hood that's the way I'm going to go.  And I know of multiple ppl with the 99-04 GT hood that have done it on forums with just a little trimming so I should be good.  Can get that shipped out here because it'll break down into multiple boxes easy.  

IRS diff/halfshafts will also get done whenever I figure out the trans and power adder I'm going to go with so I can get the gears installed in the pumpkin and just shipped out here in one shot.  If its the Eaton I'll probably go 3.15s, 3.08s or even 2.73s for supercruise out on these highways plus the T45 has a 3.37 first gear anyway to make up for it.

So yeah... that's where I'm at.  

Edited by scottydsntknow
  • Like 1

If you can get some 1000 microfarad capacitors and wire them into the tweeters it takes the bass out of them and allows the woofers to play more and sound 10x better, assuming the stock speakers are still in it.

You got a link to any sort of install write up for that?  Yes the stock mach stuff is still in there and it sounds great for a mach system but I know it would be way better with all aftermarket stuff which I'll eventually do one day... 

Right now the car hasn't been driven in like a week and a half because one of the windows finally ripped out of its rear bracket and I had to wait till today for the E6000 adhesive to come in.  Going to do a minor mod to the bracket tomorrow and re-glue both windows and let them cure 24 hours and re-install and hope they hold.  If not... its new glass with the revised full 1 piece bracket that runs across the entire bottom of the window.