CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95's Project: SN9500

41 minutes ago, RedTwilight said:

Is it bad that the idea crossed my mind of swapping everything over from the '98 into the Triumph? :rolleyes: 

I like the way you think.  If I was a trust fund baby, or had an unlimited supply of cash, you'd see a lot of creations like that haha.

4 hours ago, CompOrangeSN95 said:

Update: The drive train has arrived.  '98 cobra, 105k miles, with some cosmetic damage.  I'll be using the engine, trans, hydroboost, and abs module.  The front brakes are going to my Dad and the rest will be up for grabs.   My car is currently on the lift and waiting for me to pull the rear. 

PS: The Triumph Spitfire is being parted out as well.  If you happen to know any enthusiasts give me a shout.  It's a 1979 with an original hard top.  Engine runs, and the trans shifts.

20160510_184913.jpg

whats the interior look like on that one cobra? 

22 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

FYI on the part out, the hood scoop nostril inserts bring a mint on eBay.

Excited to see more updates as the transplanting process begins!

I'm hoping to get as much cash out of it as I can.  I have quite a collection of mustang parts now.  I may end up getting a spot at carlisle to see if I can unload a bunch of it.

Now you see it...

20160517_162639.jpg

Now you don't...

20160517_183741.jpg

Next up is to cutout the spare tire well and a majority of the trunk floor.  Once that's out I'll weld in a chromoly brace, media blast the underside, paint ia, and install the IRS.

3 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Speaking of... when are those toe links hitting the market? lol

There is an ad on the facebook page for them.  I am not sure if they are ready to ship or not the ad is pretty old.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/361920087214925/permalink/998893250184269/?sale_post_id=998893250184269

@95riosnake They're currently for sale, and I have 1 set ready to ship and material to make more.  I've had some interest, but no takers yet on account of them not being real world tested.   They're also up on our website www.ARGperformance.com.  I'm pushing really hard to get the car on the road so I can get some time on them, but until then I have to trust the math.  This is what's included with the kit.

TOE-LINKS.jpg

Update:  Rear frame brace is in.  The sheet metal warped while I was welding it... operator error.  The brace is nice and straight though, and that's all that matters.  I added gussets and 1/4" angle iron to tie the back sheet metal to the frame and gives me a place to mount my new bumper support.  Next step is cleaning everything and preping it for the IRS. 

20160530_144841.jpg20160530_144810.jpg

36 minutes ago, Tabres said:

So envious of this project.  I would love to build a car like this.  Can't wait to see more progress!

It's slow, but will definitely be worth it.

I got the car outside today and power washed the underside.  Since the car doesn't have a trunk or rear, we just jacked it up with an engine hoist and wheeled it outside.  

20160605_094931.jpg

Once it was clean we rolled it back onto the lift and got the rear end in place, again using the engine hoist.

20160605_134107.jpg

Got everything lined up, installed it, and marked the frame to drill holes for the rear mounts.  I ended up machining some 3/8" 6061 aluminum plates to put on top of the frame rail but forgot to take a picture of the finished product.  Here's some pictures of the rear end installed, before we took it back out to drill the frame and install the aluminum plates.

IMG_20160605_164333.jpg
20160605_144553.jpg

20160605_163609.jpg 

I'm hoping to get some more work done on it in the next few weeks.  Also looking at getting some maximum motorsports mm2 coil overs at the end of the month.

Having no trunk floor definitely has its benefits, I wish I could have installed my IRS with an engine hoist lol. I had to do it using two floor jacks and it took me an entire day of stress to get it in without scratching the hell out of it.

2 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

Having no trunk floor definitely has its benefits, I wish I could have installed my IRS with an engine hoist lol. I had to do it using two floor jacks and it took me an entire day of stress to get it in without scratching the hell out of it.

The hoist and car lift are a god send.  I'm very lucky to able to use one whenever I need it.  We still had to do a bunch of finagling to drill the holes in the frame for the rear mounts.  I can only imagine how much of a nightmare it is to do on the ground.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, 95riosnake said:

Looks like I'll be suffering the same fate in a few years...

Small update:

The frame for the fuel cell is complete, minus the top mounting holes.  Did a moc-up with the fuel cell and it looks pretty cool.  I have some work to do on the fuel cell before I can finish mounting it and plumbing the fuel system.  I'll be running a swirl pot, and duel redundant pump setup to prevent fuel starvation even under the harshest conditions.  I will also be machining a new flange and filler neck so I don't have to worry about the derpy D-ring cap that came with the tank.

The current plan (which is ever changing, thanks brain) is to finish the suspension, get the engine and trans swapped in, and drive the shit out of it.  Once I've tested some of my parts and put a little more money in the bank, I'll be continuing with my under body aero and full cage.

P.S. if you know anyone interested in a bone stock 3.8 v6 and auto trans, give me a shout.  Engine runs great, trans needs to be rebuilt.

Bonus picture of the brake setup on the car.

20160626_151048.jpg

20160612_164906.jpg

20160626_151242.jpg

20160619_151914.jpg

Another update: Sub-frame connectors are done, jacking bars are done, and the engine and trans has been pulled from the 98 cobra. Time to tear into it a bit and make sure everything looks good. Planning on doing the COP mod, rear coolant crossover mod, and most likely en egr delete to make space for future plans. Also looking to swap the coolant pipe to AN hose and fittings. Hoping to have my front suspension this December. Slow build is slow.

20160820_155715.jpg

20160917_160353.jpg

20160917_160404.jpg

20160917_160417.jpg

20161002_144837.jpg

20161002_151153.jpg

20161002_162157.jpg

Yeah, I've made some progress on it.  Got the v6 out and cleaned up the engine bay.  Wire brushed the inner fenders and strut towers and threw some black paint on.  Got my front suspension, brakes, eibach sway bars, rear coil overs, wiring harness, and fuel system.   Just trying to make time to work on it.  Also cleaned up the engine, AN fittings for coolant all around, COP conversion, and underdrive pulleys.  Found some metal when I took the pan off so I'm going to pull the mains to see if I can locate the source.  I'm really pushing to have the car on the road/track by May. 

20161231_133703.jpg20161211_142146.jpg

20170111_210112.jpg

I'm using a 1 gallon fuel cell as a swirl pot.  DW250 feeding the swirl pot and a DW350 feeding the engine. 

20161126_112714.jpg

20161123_093637.jpg

Sleeves to use mm coil overs with my KB lower control arms. 

20161123_143247.jpg

20161123_063939.jpg

20170111_210105.jpg

Front suspension is in. Just finished putting new studs in my new front hubs, so those will be on this weekend. Cleaning up the steering rack and installing my MM bump steer kit as well and it'll finally be sitting on it's own feet again. I also finalized my design for a divorced shifter. Going to ditch the center console and moc-up something custom.

Bad news: I tore into the motor and found the one cylinder has deep gouging in it. On top of that, the crank was rubbing on one of the main caps, wearing a considerable amount of material off. Going to bring the block and crank to my engine guy and see what he says about them. The previous owner really fucked this thing up. 

front suspension

front suspension.jpg

divorced shifter

SHIFTER.jpg

engine gore

20170123_210358_zps2s9t7hiz.jpg

idk what's up with the head gaskets that were on this thing but all of the coolant passages only had a 1/8" hole... This engine definitely suffered from heat.

20170123_201707_zps6srsepmx.jpg

Are you not running a center console or modifying it for the shifter.   I saw a divorced shifter setup in a datsun z with no console and it looked awesome.  

Edited by Lanter

15 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

What sway bar mounts are those?  And what sway bar?  Something I still haven't bought for my car...

They are maximum motorsports mounts.  Moved it forward for the offset arms.  The sway bar itself is eibach.

1 minute ago, Lanter said:

Are you not running a center console or modifying it for the shifter.   I saw a divorced shifter setup in a datsun z with no console and it looked awesome.  

I'm taking out the center console.  It'll just be carpet with a boot for the shifter and a boot for the parking brake. 

It looks like you are using the 94-95 spindles.  The spacer stack for bump steer will be kinda crazy, if not impossible to get correct bump steer.  The 96+ spindles are the way to go cuz the steering arm for the tie-rod is straight vs. offset.  MM does not recommend using the 94-95 spindles when using the upper mounting holes on the k-frame cuz it makes the situation even worse.

11 minutes ago, 410sn95 said:

It looks like you are using the 94-95 spindles.  The spacer stack for bump steer will be kinda crazy, if not impossible to get correct bump steer.  The 96+ spindles are the way to go cuz the steering arm for the tie-rod is straight vs. offset.  MM does not recommend using the 94-95 spindles when using the upper mounting holes on the k-frame cuz it makes the situation even worse.

Hmm, good to know.  I didn't realize they were different.  Conveniently I have a set from a 98 cobra, I'll clean them up and install them instead.

1 hour ago, 95riosnake said:

Love that shifter design! Sad news about the motor, at least you will know it's 100% when you get it out on the track though.

Thanks man!  Yeah it's a bitter sweet scenario.  Means the car won't be on the road this year, but at least it will be bulletproof when it is.

The shifter is awesome.  I saw a guy on SVTPerformance build something similar several years back and have wanted to do it with my car ever since.  It would be so much more ergonomic to drive with how far back I have to sit because of how tall I am.  Embarrassing to say almost, but I haven't ever perused it because I don't really want to give up my cupholders...