CompOrangeSN95

CompOrangeSN95's Project: SN9500

9 hours ago, Tabres said:

The shifter is awesome.  I saw a guy on SVTPerformance build something similar several years back and have wanted to do it with my car ever since.  It would be so much more ergonomic to drive with how far back I have to sit because of how tall I am.  Embarrassing to say almost, but I haven't ever perused it because I don't really want to give up my cupholders... 

At 6'2" I feel your pain and that's the main reason I'm doing it.  Fortunately I've never had cup holders in my SN95, so I won't miss them. haha

Well, the block is toast. Crackcase is already bored, cylinders are already bored, crank journals are .01" under, and all the mains are warn to shit.... I was advised by a trusted engine builder that it would be much cheaper to buy a new block. I took a chance with that Cobra, and it bit me in the ass. BUT, I got the rest of the front suspension in, so I got that going for me, which is nice.

20170129_151056_zps7u3becy8.jpg

20170129_172118_zpskdr3jgap.jpg

20170129_172131_zpsllebxqmz.jpg

20170129_172139_zpslynvuz2q.jpg

20170129_172153_zpsyrc7d1al.jpg

18 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

Looking great!

Sorry to hear the bad news about the block :( Are you planning to source a new block and build it or just find a new complete motor?

I haven't decided yet.  I already bought a bunch of goodies for that engine and I'd really like run a terminator top end.  So I may try to find an aluminator block and build it. But for now, I'm putting the drive train on the back burner.  I can't afford an engine this year since I'm getting married in November.  For now I'm going to focus on the chassis and fuel system since I already have the parts.  I'm really bent out of shape about the engine, it was the sole purpose that I bought the cobra.  I'm amazed at how well it ran, there were no noises, had good throttle response, it sounded great.  Gives me a lot of anxiety about buying a used block from ebay.

Sorry to hear the motor being junk, I had a similar thing happen buying a turbo engine out of a 280zx years ago.  Have you considered pulling a block out of a mark 8 from a salvage yard or something?  Should be able to get a teksid for a 2-300 dollars and just scrap the heads and rotating assembly.  Is the crank from the cobra salvageable?  

Edited by Lanter

Just now, Lanter said:

Sorry to hear the motor being junk, I had a similar thing happen buying a turbo engine out of a 280zx years ago.  Have you considered pulling a block out of a mark 8 from a salvage yard or something?  Should be able to get a teksid for a 2-300 dollars and just scrap the heads and rotating assembly.  Is the crank from the cobra salvageable?  

Best I can tell the crank is still good.  The journals are .010 under, but I should be able to get bearings that accommodate that.  Good idea with the scrap yard, hadn't thought about going that route.

I know you said you aren't buying a motor this year, but my good buddy has the OEM shortblock out his gt500 that he pulled out in favor of a forged ford racing bottom end. 5.4L. Literally on a pallet ready to be shipped. 

41 minutes ago, Det_Riot said:

I know you said you aren't buying a motor this year, but my good buddy has the OEM shortblock out his gt500 that he pulled out in favor of a forged ford racing bottom end. 5.4L. Literally on a pallet ready to be shipped. 

Mmmmm hmmmm, yes please.  Text me those nudes when you get a chance. 

Soooo, ummmmm, I know I said I wasn't buying an engine this year, but I may have, accidentally on purpose, bought a complete 2012 GT500 engine, oil pan to blower with pcm, harness, radiator, and heat exchanger.   Just waiting to get the shipping confirmation, but I should have it by the end of the month.

13 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

What class are you gonna run with that much motor??

Honestly, I don't know.  Chances are this car will be more of an HPDE / promotional car than anything and the Daytona will be our competition car.  Although, right now I don't have time to dedicate to a specific series, so staying competitive would be near impossible.  

On 2/13/2017 at 6:19 AM, 95riosnake said:

Did you buy the motor from a guy with a Gotta Have It Green turbo new edge? Saw a post where he had essentially the same motor for sale on IG.

haha yup, this is that motor.  I saw his new-edge in the background of one of the pictures he sent me and asked if I could see more.  That car is unbelievable.  What's his IG?

22 hours ago, CompOrangeSN95 said:

haha yup, this is that motor.  I saw his new-edge in the background of one of the pictures he sent me and asked if I could see more.  That car is unbelievable.  What's his IG?

His IG name is @frcepwr, his car is downright mental for sure.

Congrats on the new motor, glad to see you didn't run into any shipping issues with it and can't wait to see it start making its way into the car!

On 2/13/2017 at 6:19 AM, 95riosnake said:

Did you buy the motor from a guy with a Gotta Have It Green turbo new edge? Saw a post where he had essentially the same motor for sale on IG.

His New Edge is completely wicked.  I saw it at MW last year, it's unbelievable.  

23 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

Soooo... any updates on the Shelby motor?

Unfortunately nothing yet.  I've been working on customers cars and planning a wedding so I haven't had much time to wrench on mine.  I did get the fuel pumps for my surge tank mocked up, but that's about the only progress since I've gotten the engine.  The aluminum bracket mounts vertically to the left of the trunk latch.

20170308_123107.thumb.jpg.a33e9db9124ff0c06a168c77c03cd35a.jpg

14 minutes ago, Blackmage said:

for sure those things look sexy as hell.  mount them on the outside of the car, like on the roof so we can still see them please :D 

I'll mount them to the hood.  Get some extra air flow over them to keep from over heating haha.

Fuel system is coming along.  Surge pot is mounted, pressure pumps are mounted, frame is drilled and tapped, added 2 return fittings to the cell, and got a handful of the lines run.  So far I'm very happy with the results.  Still need to modify the fuel cell lid, design and machine some mounts for my filters and dw350il pump, and machine a new lid for the swirl pot so I can mount a gauge and monitor pressure.  It's slowly becoming a racecar.  Gestation period for these things is way longer than 9 months...

20170409_161630.thumb.jpg.2a729935329ada3e7d8fcd8b2c8d5960.jpg

Stuff is happening. I'm almost done with my fuel system (at least the trunk side of it). Mocked up my new filler neck, and I'm liking it more than I thought I would. The hex bolt is temporary, I'll be using socket head cap screws when I do the final install. Next up is the filler panel and then I can move onto the interior to get it ready for the first half of my cage. Going with a MM 4 point w/ cross bar, for now, which I should have by the end of this month. 

20170429_174748_zpszuwp5tq1.jpg

20170429_135211_zpsb4wgyy99.jpg\