Brian

Steeda Functional Race Wing

For those who have this spoiler (URL: http://www.americanmuscle.com/stfurawi94.html) I am curious to know how effective it really is.

I know both Matt (LilRoush) and Adam (CompOrange) have these so hopefully they can chime in. I'm thinking about running this (no I don't care if you think it's rice... plus I'm trying to catch up to Jeremy) and checking out the "open track" scene. Not planning on going as all out as Adam (fully gutted etc) and will retain all the luxeries of AC etc.

Anyways, for those who have it please give me your feedback of it. Not in a rush to get this piece since I have plenty of other items on my list but I like to do tons of research before I go with a product so this is one way for me to do that.

ALSO, for those who feel the need to come in and say "that's rice (except Jeremy I'll allow him) or I hate that spoiler" you're posts are subject to deletion to follow rule number 1 (go look).

Thanks in advance,

Brian :D

SO RICE!!!

Seriously though, are you actually going to race enough to necessitate a wing that IMO doesn't look as good? I can't imagine the performance improvements are that huge unless you're running pretty fast. Subscribed for testimonies though.

I'm 50/50 on the spoiler. I think it looks good with the right setup. I think with white it'll be hard to pull off though. Plus it's something different that you don't see every other car rolling around with.

I know a few people who used to live locally who had them and did not race at all on an open track (IIRC) but got them for the looks & to be different. Always kinda appealed to me but the other side of me does think.... Jeremy..... oh I mean rice.

As for racing it on open track, I'd like to check it out and see if it would be something I would be interested in ALTHOUGH I'm pretty sure my recent rear end build wouldn't go well with an open track. Either way I'm still interested to know if the spoiler actually makes a big enough difference for those who race in that scene.

This thread might help someone else later on who might have the same question.

Different /= good if it's still bad... I know that sounds stupid, but some people don't seem to understand that being unique's only good if you do a good job with it. I think it could be pulled off, though you'd have to have a more aggressive hood to match.

I plan on running a Saleen Extractor Hood or a cowl hood. I'm not 100% on this spoiler. This is more of a feeler / information gathering.

I figured the thread would go like this the second I hit submit haha.

In for some wisdom from people who open track. I'm leaning towards trying out open track and curious on how much a wing like that actually helps.

The wing itself looks alright imo, on a car that does see the track.

Well Brian, what can you expect? lol And its pretty childish to exclude one person from a certain rule in a thread. Y'all laid out the rules and I enjoy this site I just disagree with what just happened in your first thread. That's like our police being above the law lol. Anyways carry on.

Side note, I think that T1 is ugly though :( I know what you mean. The first time I saw this spoiler was on a new edge and I loved the look. Then a saw a local SN95 with it and he pulled it off pretty well.

Well Brian, what can you expect? lol And its pretty childish to exclude one person from a certain rule in a thread. Y'all laid out the rules and I enjoy this site I just disagree with what just happened in your first thread. That's like our police being above the law lol. Anyways carry on.
It's more of enforcing the rules that every member agrees to follow (go review the rules). I just was reminding everyone about rule number 1 in this thread. If we had no rules this place would be..... well you know. The Jeremy thing is more of an inside joke which most of you are outside for. If he read it he would know exactly what I am talking about. We have been talking shit back and forth about it all day. Don't over analyze. Carry on. :D Edited by Brian

It's more of enforcing the rules that every member agrees to follow (go review the rules). I just was reminding everyone about rule number 1 in this thread. If we had no rules this place would be..... well you know. The Jeremy thing is more of an inside joke which most of you are outside for. If he read it he would know exactly what I am talking about. We have been talking shit back and forth about it all day. Don't over analize. Carry on. :D

pics of jeremy rice or gtfo of your own thread......lol

No graphs? No detailed data proving why..... Brett don't let me down :(

I'll just have to go read your suspension threads then....

Haha, if I had a wind tunnel I'd give you more explicit detail. I've never personally driven a car with a steeda wing on it. Only thing I can tell you is the difference with the Saleen T1 over any spoiler I've had (s281, stock, and no spoiler at all), is phenomenal. The s281 is okay for anything less than 100, keeps the car stable. Stock is terrible, it induces lift and will actually raise the rear end versus lower it (i.e. downforce). Same effect with no spoiler, just feels real skittish. Versus the T1, which absolutely, positively kept my car planted as it needed around Auto Club Speedway's Roval.

damn.jpg

pass-evo1.png

That last picture is sick.... You need wind tunnel data.... I don't like seeing your posts without crazy amounts of info haha. It's weird to me. I'll look at the T1 but I've always thought it was ugly.

It's more of enforcing the rules that every member agrees to follow (go review the rules). I just was reminding everyone about rule number 1 in this thread. If we had no rules this place would be..... well you know. The Jeremy thing is more of an inside joke which most of you are outside for. If he read it he would know exactly what I am talking about. We have been talking shit back and forth about it all day. Don't over analize. Carry on. :D

I agree to follow them; which is why I'm here lol. Yes I agree, I'm in for the rules. They just seem to be enforced out of emotion rather than just as the law, if you know what I mean. I've "noted" that, lol. I may just be over analyzing lol, I just hate communism lol.

Back to the topic as I don't want to derail the thread which is one of the rules hehe.

Anyways I like the wing. It looks so sick on track cars! I'm in to learn about using wings.

I say you try it out, and post pics of it on a white cobra and I'll than I can visually picture my cw cobra with it ;)

That last picture is sick.... You need wind tunnel data.... I don't like seeing your posts without crazy amounts of info haha. It's weird to me. I'll look at the T1 but I've always thought it was ugly.

haha, it's more fluid looking on the 94-98 than the steeda IMO. It may not be the prettiest but it gets the job done.

DSC_0003.jpg

I don't like the style, and given the size of it, I highly highly doubt you'd ever notice any realistic difference with it whatsoever. Real wings require large surface areas or steep angles of attack, this wing has neither.

Only reason I'd be nervous to try it wingless is because of Brett's post about how unstable the car would be with even say a OEM spoiler.... Makes me nervous to get the car up in speed if it's going to be unstable even at different events.

I know the wing isn't as large as say the '00 Cobra R but I would assume it would make a difference. More is better than none in this situation, right?

fucking ricers... ;) took you long enough to get in here.

I was at a gokart track running the best times of the night lol. Sorry ;p

And now I'm going to bed.

However, you'll feel the car get "unstable" but you'll be able to slow down. Push the envelope, see what you get out of it. YOu may be surprised. Regardless, you need to try it before you drop fat stacks of cash on it.

ricer :D

I love the Steeda wing. Much better than the feel from the S281. Without a wing is just like Brett said... a bit loose on the back end. I'd love to try a T1 on the track. I do have a 2nd trunk lid with a much more aggressive / adjustable wing as well, but half the time I'm too lazy to swap it over and just hit the track with the Steeda wing.

It's got just enough bite and not go too far overboard. Slightly less bite than the Cobra R I've driven with.

The other thing to consider is the wing needs to be matched to the aero on the front of the car and your suspension as well.

On track from best to worst that I'd used:

Single adjustable plane (APR or JSP style)

Y2K Cobra R

Steeda

S281

stock

none

For what it's worth, mine isn't the 94-98 wing, but the 99-00. I bought it used and redrilled the trunk. It's mounting points are slightly wider than the wing for the earlier car.

R6.jpg

R22.jpg

R7.jpg

R11.jpg

Edited by LilRoush

I love the Steeda wing. Much better than the feel from the S281. Without a wing is just like Brett said... a bit loose on the back end. I'd love to try a T1 on the track. I do have a 2nd trunk lid with a much more aggressive / adjustable wing as well, but half the time I'm too lazy to swap it over and just hit the track with the Steeda wing.

It's got just enough bite and not go too far overboard. Slightly less bite than the Cobra R I've driven with.

The other thing to consider is the wing needs to be matched to the aero on the front of the car and your suspension as well.

On track from best to worst that I'd used:

Single adjustable plane (APR or JSP style)

Y2K Cobra R

Steeda

S281

stock

none

For what it's worth, mine isn't the 94-98 wing, but the 99-00. I bought it used and redrilled the trunk. It's mounting points are slightly wider than the wing for the earlier car.

R6.jpg

R22.jpg

R7.jpg

R11.jpg

Was hoping you would add your $0.02 on this as I knew you have had a bunch of spoilers. Trust me though, once you go t1 you'll never want to go back lol

I wish I could afford one when they pop up for sale. I spent WAY too much on my adjustable wing for as much time as it spends sitting in the extra bedroom instead of on the car. LOL

they are always for sale :) Tiger Racing makes reproductions and sells them on eGay

Oh really... tempting.

I will say the biggest variation between a flat plane type wing and a solid part (like the S281) is what they are doing with the air. The single plane wing will smooth airflow coming off the top of the car/trunk lid - adding even stability. The solid wings (S281 and T1) are doing a lot more for rear end downforce and keeping it planted.

I did forget one wing, and I will never use that style again. I had a double stacked Saleen SR wing on one of my fox body cars for awhile. It was almost TOO much wing for the car.

Oh really... tempting.

I will say the biggest variation between a flat plane type wing and a solid part (like the S281) is what they are doing with the air. The single plane wing will smooth airflow coming off the top of the car/trunk lid - adding even stability. The solid wings (S281 and T1) are doing a lot more for rear end downforce and keeping it planted.

I did forget one wing, and I will never use that style again. I had a double stacked Saleen SR wing on one of my fox body cars for awhile. It was almost TOO much wing for the car.

I was actually impressed with the roush spoiler on mine, it flexes a little bit at high speed but it keeps the car planted well above 100mph.

Oh yeah, I'm a big fan of the 3 post and 4 post Roush wings. I love the effect you get with them extended off the rear deck those few extra inches.

Yes! I even moved mine back about 2-3 inches since I don't have the middle post, looks sweet and it definitely keeps the car stable. Only thing that worries me is since it is a 2 post it does flex a bit in the center.