Brian

Steeda Functional Race Wing

I wonder how good mine is lol. Legitimately, make fun all you want ;p

My tail doesn't get nervous over 100

99-04 wings are designed a bit better than the 94-98. I took the time to look at the a stock 94-98 wing and it replicates an airfoil. it will actually induce lift instead of downforce... ford engineers...

Yes! I even moved mine back about 2-3 inches since I don't have the middle post, looks sweet and it definitely keeps the car stable. Only thing that worries me is since it is a 2 post it does flex a bit in the center.

That is exactly why mid 99 they got the third post in the middle.

I've always liked that Steeda spoiler, i had a friend that ran one on his black 97 GT and always thought it looked sweet. I've considered rocking one, it's nice that it's functional. I didn't know the S281 was also functional, pretty cool.

I took the time to look at the a stock 94-98 wing and it replicates an airfoil. it will actually induce lift instead of downforce... ford engineers...

hmm lil roush said he'd rather run with a stock wing then none which contradicts that. I did hear somewhere the cobra crab claw is supposed to be a lot better than the stock spoiler but i have no idea what truth that holds.

The crab claw and Roush wings are a functional due to the scoop design to them. They add a little bit of down force.

And I only prefer the stock to wingless b/c of the way it smooths airflow. It's not doing anything for downforce at all.

Yall are selling me on the Steeda wing. I've been thinking about it a lot since I posted this thread.

Matt, how would it hold up at different events like the drag strip? Or would it not matter as much there compared to an open track?

I've been watching a lot of open track videos and it looks like a lot of fun. I've never tried it. I know someone who does it and I am going to talk to them about how to get started.

Fyi as someone who's seen behind the curtains of aerdoynamic designers and intense CFD tests I'm cracking up over here at all the supposed "tech" being spouted off as truth about wings designed purely for form instead of function.

The guy who designed this has forgotten more about aerodynamics than he ever had time to teach me - this steeda wing may not hurt any but don't tell me you "felt it at higher speeds" - it's called the placebo effect

a6f860b8-8a0a-3fc7.jpg

a6f860b8-8a0f-ff40.jpg

Edited by mavisky

I've been watching a lot of open track videos and it looks like a lot of fun. I've never tried it. I know someone who does it and I am going to talk to them about how to get started.

Find a good HPDE event in your area and head out for the day. It's that easy.

Fyi as someone who's seen behind the curtains of aerdoynamic designers and intense CFD tests I'm cracking up over here at all the supposed "tech" being spouted off as truth about wings designed purely for form instead of function.

The guy who designed this has forgotten more about aerodynamics than he ever had time to teach me - this steeda wing may not hurt any but don't tell me you "felt it at higher speeds" - it's called the placebo effect

Even if a wing is designed for looks vs function, if it's touching the air it's having an impact. That impact does fall under "function" of the wing - good or bad. Some do more than others, and there is no way around that. Call it what you will, I know what set ups felt the best to me, and that was all I was posting. That being said, the wings being talked about are the Steeda race wing, the Roush wing, the Saleen T1 along with a few other misc that have popped up. The 1st three are all backed with a lot of R&D for positive impact on the track.

Very nice.

Mav - obviously that car has a LOT of work put into the aero factor. We aren't going THAT deep into it, but the little things DO matter a lot. Little things like wing angle and tire pressure can help or hurt your lap time. Even slight camber angle adjustments have helped / hurt me in the past.