Stingracer

Stingracer's Build Thread

This is my first attempt at a build thread.  I'm creating this more as a personal log than anything else but comments are always welcome for better or worse.

In the past I've owned many cars, however the "fun" ones were an IROC (first car and loved it), '76 Corvette Stingray (still miss this one) and a 350z.  I actually got rid of the Corvette for the 350z since I didn't really have time to work on it.  As much as I enjoyed the 350 there wasn't anything to really work on which bored me.  The SN came out when I was graduating high school and loved their looks.  Although I always felt I was a Chevy guy and the Camaro's had more hp I didn't like the way they looked so I picked up a Mustang in 2009 to tinker with and enjoy.  

The car was purchased in 2009 and outside of purchasing a new top and wheels she sat until 2012.  Then I added the items listed below and now I'm ready to make another push.  I'm starting mostly with appearance items.  Mechanically everything is fine she runs smooth and isn't bad on fuel.  She's quick enough to 60 and just tends to fall on her face after 4500 rpms and will work on that during phase 2 of the project.

CAI no name

SVE intake 

1.7 rockers 

FMS shorties 

unknown xpipe 

Flowmasters 

Eibach Pro System 

Raceline 18"s 265 35 (9.5") front and 285 35 (10") rear 

Cobra Front Calipers, slotted/cross drilled rotors, Hawks Yellow pads 

Stock rear calipers and rotors, Hawks Yellow pads 

4.10 gears 

aluminum drive shaft

Here's a pic of the 350z on a drive to Key West.  Unfortunately I don't have pics of the other rides :(

DSCF0013s-1.jpg

When I picked her up the top was torn up and raggedy, the seats were shot and the engine didn't run well and would idle erratically.

OurHouse%20150_zpstvq70tit.jpg

OurHouse%20151_zpsnyvlwj9j.jpg

I changed the intake gasket and that solved the idling and driving issues and she drove quite well. I also picked up some 18 inch Raceline wheels, Eibach Pro springs and shocks, installed a new top and new latches.

IMG_0048_zpsa10c23c3.jpg

I also installed some Raxiom head and corner lights.

IMG_0054_zpsc311755c.jpg

I've only had the headlights for a couple of years, but the rubber weather stripping already crapped out. I don't know if there are any solutions to fixing that or if I have to replace them.

For the interior I built my own rear seat delete and added these buckets.  I've since removed the buckets since they were cheap and very uncomfortable.  I've since then purchased front and rear seats from a 1999 black/silver along with the door panels.  I'll be reupholstering the seats with a TMI setup in the near future.

IMG_20130217_1822111_zps491abc1d.jpg

Once I had the wheels, lights, tops and seats completed I needed to do something about the paint.  I wasn't ready to spend any money on the paint until I figured out what direction I wanted to go in so I plastidipped it in matte white.  For someone that loves shiny things and polishing paint this was difficult but it did make the car more tolerable to look at.

IMG_20150602_173749_zpsdy2lniji.jpg

IMG_20141128_144022nopm_zpsah32cch6.jpg

Cobra front calipers

IMG_20150602_173820_zpserri41u1.jpg

Cobra bumper and Cervinis 2k Cobra hood purchased in Sept.

20150912_113344_zpst1cfcqmw.jpg

20150928_123817_zpsx3opf5wb.jpg

Current items on to do list is get the car painted (black).

More low. 

Begin Phase 2 of the project which is new engine. I don't plan on drag racing or tracking so what I'm looking to build is something around 350ish to the wheels and reliable.  I'm thinking 331 with AFR's.  I haven't put together a game plan just yet.

New wheels.  I'm partial to the SVE Series 2

The center caps are massive lol.   They actually came with spinners that i thought would look slick on my dads 65 Mustang.  My thought back in 09 was I just needed different wheels, but wasn't sure what I wanted back then.  When I pick up my next set of wheels I'll probably still give them to him.  He currently has torque thrust 2's.

14582.jpg

189895_10150105389602702_3481590_n.jpg?o

i think those would look awesome on the 65 with the spinners.

I agree.

What size Torque Thrusts are on the 65 now? I could be interested in buying them from you for my 66 when you swap them out!

17 x 8

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

If you keep the car black it will be like my cars twin. [emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just looked at you ride and you're right. Looks great![emoji106]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

• Moderators

17 x 8

Keep me in mind if/when your dad swaps them out.  I've got 15x8/9 on mine now and don't particularly like the way it looks... needs moar low and the 8in rear put back in it.

Latest update:

Car dropped off for paint.

• Color will be Tuxedo black
  • Will be cut and buffed so should look really clean
  • All emblem holes shaved
  • Antenna delete
  • Mirrors will be painted
  • Cervinis Cobra 2k underhood will be painted
  • Side scoops painted and mounted
  • Paint the tail light bezel and license plate trim in tuxedo black as well 

Wheel Question.  I can't decide what I'd like to mount.  These are three of my current choices and prices look reasonable to me for just the rims. I like silver or gunmetal finish.  I'm staying away from chrome/polished and black.

Rovo Pretoria

wk-074423ss_7267.jpg

SVE Series II

sve-56481653_1960.jpg

Or Rovo Durban

wk-055417sgmk_6721.jpg

tuxedo black is going to be awesome.  don't think i've ever seen a mustang with it.  definitely post a bunch of pictures when you get it back.

i'm partial to the pretorias.  i loves me some spokes.

oh here i was excited to see all that metallic on a mustang.  my car is pure black.  can't remember the actual name of the paint but it was the truest black my painter could find.  then i tossed some blue pearl in it.

oh here i was excited to see all that metallic on a mustang.  my car is pure black.  can't remember the actual name of the paint but it was the truest black my painter could find.  then i tossed some blue pearl in it.

I'm sorry to disappoint lol  I like the metallic look, but I'm not spending $5k on the paint and body and didn't want it to go higher.

Same here.  I like the Pretoria wheels.  I would go gunmetal.

I'm liking the gunmetal as well.

They're not finished yet, but should be ready by next week.  Car was really dirty from sitting outside.  They still need to cut and buff.  They used PPG with three coats of clear.  Pure black.

IMG_20151226_103531_zpsucrcvkiw.jpg

I ordered some replacement side markers.  The weatherstripping on the previous ones that were only 3 years old deteriorated really badly.

IMG_20151226_103549_zpsm2qhya2e.jpg

And let's see if anyone can guess what's different here :)

IMG_20151226_105433_zpsuanacuio.jpg

So I was able to start the new year with my car returned to me.  I'm still working on some detailing, but I'm very happy with the results.

20160102_173532_zpseun3dxpx.jpg

20160102_173540_zpshckmmfdj.jpg

20160102_173555_zpsb7gmyvyc.jpg

I can't wait to get some new wheels and get that new engine in there  :D

On a different note.  I replaced my oil pressure switch which was leaking like no ones business (see link below).  Anyway, since I couldn't find an actual instruction anywhere online I figured I share my steps.

Step 1 Disconnect battery

Step 2 Disconnect the lower radiator hose to get it out of the way and remove the PS pump and AC bracket to give your 1 1/16 socket space to work

Step 3 Remove the ground wire and the wire holder and move them away

Step 4 Insert socket and remove

http://vid112.photobucket.com/albums/n198/glopez350/VID_20160106_174249_zpsi1f0ojxs.mp4

It's nice to see a build like this, where you've owned the car for several years and you're just doing what you can. You have some simple, practical, and realistic goals that a lot of people can relate to. Keep it up, man.

I appreciate that.  I don't live my life 10 sec at a time nor do I track it.  What I do enjoy doing is going for cruises to the Keys (Key West) with the top down and going to cruise in's with my buddys and their rides and getting into trouble on the highway here and there.

I just spit out my coffee lol.

What's wrong with that leak? Isn't that just proof that a mustang is running? Haha just kidding

If I was drinking at the moment I read that I may have too lol

Nothing wrong with the leak at all.  It allows me to always run the freshest oil at all possible times lol, however my dad and friends were pissed I was dumping oil all over their driveways ;)

So I need to stick my side scoops on.  Any product recommendations? 3m double sided tape? Which one?

Thanks!

We use 3m double sided foam back tape to hold on trim pieces on the sides of trucks and stuff, that should be more than plenty to hold on your scoops.   I think thats all they use anyway when new?

We use 3m double sided foam back tape to hold on trim pieces on the sides of trucks and stuff, that should be more than plenty to hold on your scoops.   I think thats all they use anyway when new?

I'll give that a shot.  I will also pick up some adhesion promoter and clean very well.