PeteKidwell

removing fuse box

I have my motor & trans out going to clean up some wiring & paint has anyone removed fuse box under hood I don't think there is anything in it that I really need now that it has a carburetor but I mayb wrong.    

post-542-0-58487600-1446483472_thumb.jpg This is what it looks like just trying to make it look a little better.

THANKS

I relocated mine to under my rear seat. Even though you're carb'd there are still a handful of things running through your fuse box you'll need. Lights, horns,n fans, etc etc. Pull up a fuse box schematic and determine what you do or don't still need

I relocated mine to under my rear seat. Even though you're carb'd there are still a handful of things running through your fuse box you'll need. Lights, horns,n fans, etc etc. Pull up a fuse box schematic and determine what you do or don't still need

How long did this take for you to complete?  What were your biggest challenges doing this?  I'm planning to relocate my fuse box over the winter so I can get some Scott Rod panels in but I still hate the idea of it being in the fender.

you're still going to need the fuse box if you are running the lights on your car, airbags, radio, etc.    I attached mine under the drivers side fender and then relocated the harness across the front radiator support, behind the header panel.  Then i ran the rest of the wires under the fender, up to a hole right under the brake booster and into the body of the car that way.

3A041A56-C2DB-4A6A-85CB-B281249C68E2_zps

FC82D3FA-2E2E-4BD8-B7E5-9A2985DAD37A_zps

How long did this take for you to complete? What were your biggest challenges doing this? I'm planning to relocate my fuse box over the winter so I can get some Scott Rod panels in but I still hate the idea of it being in the fender.

Well I did it in conjunction with the through floors and tubular suspension conversion last year so I don't have a real good time frame on it. But most everything on the car took from early march to early July. If you were motivated and had everything readily accessible you could likely do the full relocation in a few weekends. My whole car was stripped, interior and everything, so it made tracing and running wires a lot simpler. The most tedious task was making a wiring diagram and marking everything out before I started cutting. I used labels for every wire, A-ZZ and color coded a schematic for it so I could keep it all in check. The wires used to extend it all was from junkyard harnesses so I could keep the colors as close to similar as possible.

start of my schematic

abunymyd.jpg

spare harnesses

japusy6e.jpg

removed some bulkhead connections since these wires were staying in the passenger compartment

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5504/14465384843_4b2d1f8744_b.jpg/img]

new wires you see on the left

yvy5ugyn.jpg

more things

4e5uhudy.jpg

Hoooooooollllllllly cow... yeah, as much as I absolutely love where you put yours @Det_Roit, I'm not nearly that ambitious at this point.

Hahahah no problem. I think I was only that ambitious because the entire car was stripped for the through floors