stang232

Which header bolts?

I have BBK shorty headers and I have a constant problem with loosening the screws.
I tightened them few times, but in the end did not bolts loose enough and have leakage (driver header gasket).

I want repalce my bolts for new - and here is a queston to you which type, brand buy?

1. ARP Stainless Steel Header Bolts

2. Ford Racing Stage 8 1" or 3/4" 

wish i could help more here.  but when i put on my stock manifolds I used some studs from rockauto and they have been holding up great, nice and tight. different animal i know.

I got tired of loosing them as well and went stage 8.  They were a pain in the ass to put on but I think that was because the JBA headers I use have a square shape where they meet the flange and the locking clips were made to go around a curved pipe.

i tried the locking ones and it was a pain to install but didn't have problems with them coming loose then.  i've since put on arps when i switched to long tubes and been fine.  as for the length.  measure the flange and go from there.  if it's a nice thick flange, then go with 1"

Funny b story, I ordered "header bolts" from McMaster Carr, whichever size and length they were, just made sure I ordered them in stainless..... Guess what? They came stamped ARP

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

A little late to the party I guess but I actually never had a single problem with the factory studs.  They sealed perfectly with stock manifolds and longtubes when I had them on the car.  I'm now back to stock 03/04 manifolds and the studs worked great.  When I built the motor this last time around I switched to Stage 8 locking bolts just because I happened to find some on sale super cheap at the time.  I've had no issues with them at all.  I can see how they could be a huge pain to install with the engine in the car, though.  But they go in real easy with the engine on a stand...

run a set of Remflex gaskets, and your bolts will stop backing out on you. The bolts come loose because of the expanding and shrinking of the manifold and head while heating up and cooling off. The Remflex gaskets have a certain amount of "rebound" to them, which prevents the bolts from slacking when the parts heat and cool.