ttocs

poking holes in the oil pan

I have decided to move forward with my suspension upgrades while I wait for some weather warm enough to paint.  One of the projects will include replacing my K-member and while I am down there I need to poke a couple of holes in my oil pan.  Seems like it would be easy to pull the pan and drill/tap with the K off but from what I have seen using a punch on it while its on the car seems easy enough as well and would not leave me needing a new seal.  I want to install a oil temp sensor in it as well as a drain to go to my catch can to just automatically drain back in so nothing huge.  What would you do?

contaminates?  Its trapped in a closed system directly out of the and fed right back in so what is it picking up along the way?  On top of that it would run fine with no catch can so wouldn't that same oil that isn't taken out from the can picking up the same contaminates and still trapped in the system?

contaminates?  Its trapped in a closed system directly out of the and fed right back in so what is it picking up along the way?  On top of that it would run fine with no catch can so wouldn't that same oil that isn't taken out from the can picking up the same contaminates and still trapped in the system?

I dont care were you put it the point is its contamintated as evil said. The can isnt just collecting oil its traping steam vapor or condensation omonst other crap. You can put it back in if you want I just suggested you dont. Your car your decision.

But if this is your idea of clean then be my guest. Like i said i wouldnt post-55-0-71348300-1450554349_thumb.jpg

Another vote for weld bungs. Either female NPT or male -an. Much better than 2 threads in the stamped steel pan.

Another vote for NOT plumbing your oil catch can back. Oil vapor has condensation in it. You want that out of then engine. Hence why you want your oil temps above 212 also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I would definitely suggest not punching and tapping the pan while on the car.  I did that then found a pan with a welded bung so I swapped them, I took every precaution and used tons of grease on the tap to catch the shavings but there were still some in the pan when I pulled it out to swap with the other pan.  Not many but more then what I would be comfortable with.  You can do it and flush the shavings as much as possible with oil but it would still scare me.

I'd either tap it off the car or have a bung welded on.

I was looking at the oil pan today trying to figure out where the sensor would go when I noticed that there is a bolt on the side of the pan similar to the drain plug on the drivers side.  Any idea what that spot is for?  Can I put the temp sensor there?  I think looking at the different oil pans available for a 94 that it is a low oil level sensor that we do not use?  If so then it would be nice to get a fitting to screw into it and then mount the sensor but I just want to be sure before I tear it apart.

That would make it soooo much easier then needing to weld. hell I would not even need to take the pan of the car then... Hopefully I can get a fitting to do it, will check tomorrow.

the plug hole is 20mm with a 1.5 thread pitch should help you out some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the plug hole is 20mm with a 1.5 thread pitch should help you out some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that will make it a little easier although I still plan on bringing the plug and the sensor to find the fitting needed.  thanks dude.

I think looking at the different oil pans available for a 94 that it is a low oil level sensor that we do not use? 

As said, low oil sensor.  However, every 94-95 5.0 I have seen has the sensor.  If there is a bolt in the pan, more than likely someone pulled the sensor out.

If the sensor is unplugged you will not get an oil light on the dash.

I was wondering about this as well.  I was not sure if was just an option that was on a different vehicle or if it was missing.  The motor has been replaced and it might have been missed.  I will see if I can find an empty harness somewhere but I have not seen anything extra down there.