ttocs

big brake set ups?

I am contemplating the next part of my project and starting to dream of brakes.  I am a newb here of the part needed or what kits work the best and any help would be appreciated.  I thought there were some difficulties with the rear parking brake set up?

Depending on what you're looking to do, I'm in love with my Baer brakes setup.  The fitment was phenomenal, quality is amazing, and the thing stops hard enough to throw me through the windshield.  I went with their 4 piston setup, T4's in the front and SS4's in the rear.  With my car, I plan on driving it on the street alot, so the 6 pistons weren't 100% needed.  Comparing their kits to many other of the manufacturers, I don't think that I could've found a better bang for the buck (and they're as sexy as can be).  They can build you an economic priced kit or something that you have to trade one of your arms and your first born son for.

IMG_3204_zpsvkqemeta.jpg

IMG_3254_zpswm6vzeeo.jpg

http://baer.com/1994-2004-Ford-Mustang-Brakes/

00 Cobra R's are always a decent choice too for up front.  all factory mounting points and uses regular cobra rotors and lines.  

A22232D2-FEC4-4B1B-A4B1-48C095A6BDC6_zps

i know @9838stang did a 13" Baer conversion on the rear and that utilized all the stock stuff as well. 

Depending on what you're looking to do, I'm in love with my Baer brakes setup.  The fitment was phenomenal, quality is amazing, and the thing stops hard enough to throw me through the windshield.  I went with their 4 piston setup, T4's in the front and SS4's in the rear.  With my car, I plan on driving it on the street alot, so the 6 pistons weren't 100% needed.  Comparing their kits to many other of the manufacturers, I don't think that I could've found a better bang for the buck (and they're as sexy as can be).  They can build you an economic priced kit or something that you have to trade one of your arms and your first born son for.

IMG_3204_zpsvkqemeta.jpg

IMG_3254_zpswm6vzeeo.jpg

http://baer.com/1994-2004-Ford-Mustang-Brakes/

Are you using 13" rotors?  These calipers use C5 Corvette pads, don't they?  Seems like it would make for a pretty economical setup that would work very well.

I think if I had my way baer is the one I would like to get.  Now the economically priced kits they put together?  It seems like their kits are much more expensive on their site then on other places that advertise for them although I realize they are putting it together in the end anyways.  The brembo kit looks nice too but I can't seem to find anything for the rear with them?

00 Cobra R's are always a decent choice too for up front. all factory mounting points and uses regular cobra rotors and lines.

A22232D2-FEC4-4B1B-A4B1-48C095A6BDC6_zps

i know @9838stang did a 13" Baer conversion on the rear and that utilized all the stock stuff as well.

^ these my car will be getting a set very soon.[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If stopping power is what you are looking for, the rear baer 13" brake upgrade kit isn't the most power full kit by no means. if you are looking for a larger size to install in the rear for looks and for better that stock stopping power, then this kit is a great kit for the price, and will be all you want/need. I installed cobra from brakes up front and loved the power it gave but i noticeable nose dive when heavy use.I installed the rear 13" baer rotor kit and it pretty much got rid of the nose dive. I love the look of the size of the rotors now. One thing i hated about this look, the rear brakes looked tiny on the 13" rotors. I added the 94-04 rear cobra caliper brackets, on the rear and it gave the appearance that it is larger. i love the look.

Stock rear on top of the 13" baer rear

IMG_20150114_214723757_zpsm7bpft5o.jpg

IMG_20150114_214809732_zpshedhxh57.jpg

DSC_0402redo_zpsto0vao6w.jpg

stock caliper/stock caliper bracket and 13" baer rotor

IMG_20150310_124846475_zpstkc8igo1.jpg

cobra caliper bracket vs stock caliper bracket

IMG_20150310_131012768_zpst98emmtq.jpg

IMG_20150310_131100584_HDR_zpsfqrhd37p.j

IMG_20150310_135923212_zpssn3pxraf.jpg

To me it makes the rear caliper look a little bit bigger.

DSC_0250redo_zpsng3eqpkn.jpg

DSC_0239redo_zpsods6yei1.jpg

Are you using 13" rotors?  These calipers use C5 Corvette pads, don't they?  Seems like it would make for a pretty economical setup that would work very well.

Yes sir, they're 13's in the front and 12's in the rear.  The pads that come with the kit are from a 4th gen Camaro/Firebird.

I think if I had my way baer is the one I would like to get.  Now the economically priced kits they put together?  It seems like their kits are much more expensive on their site then on other places that advertise for them although I realize they are putting it together in the end anyways.  The brembo kit looks nice too but I can't seem to find anything for the rear with them?

I would give them a shout and ask for Rick Elam.  Super nice and knowledgeable guy.

from what I can tell wilwood is the only one that makes a parking brake available for the rear?

Baer has a parking brake mount on their brackets, as well.

well shit lol! i have no excuses now then, i never really was excited about pulling the axle shaft to put the cobra rears on because they weren't that much bigger than the gt rears. the hat part looks kinda funny though but still worlds better than the tiny gt brakes. 

Solid rotors??  Yuck.  Kinda defeats the purpose of upgrading brakes, no?

i'd say a drilled and slotted 13" rear rotor is an upgrade over what we have for stock lol. especially for just under $300. good deal in my book i'll do this no doubt! 

if i could just get past the huge hat part lol. why so much hat  :(

• Moderators

i'd say a drilled and slotted 13" rear rotor is an upgrade over what we have for stock lol. especially for just under $300. good deal in my book i'll do this no doubt! 

if i could just get past the huge hat part lol. why so much hat  :(

I paid less than that for vented, slotted rotors... just 11.65" not 13".  I guarantee they're better stopping power.  They may not look as good though.

I paid less than that for vented, slotted rotors... just 11.65" not 13".  I guarantee they're better stopping power.  They may not look as good though.

i guess the only thing you would need is that bracket to move the caliper....then one could run any 13" rotor??? ya think? 

and i wouldn't honestly care if i gained a ton more stopping "power" until i had more go "power" lol. 

i guess the only thing you would need is that bracket to move the caliper....then one could run any 13" rotor??? ya think? 

and i wouldn't honestly care if i gained a ton more stopping "power" until i had more go "power" lol. 

Nah, the offset of the rotor comes into play, as well as the thickness of the rotor. A rotor may exist out there somewhere, but you'd need to find one that has the right offset, bolt pattern, rotor thickness, etc. If you're just wanting a better look the 13" Baer kit will be just fine. In all reality our cars are so nose heavy the rear brakes are not the important thing to address braking-wise. In fact, any front engine, rear drive car is so biased toward the front for stopping power that the rear brake needs are MUCH less than that of the front. My rear setup is so completely overkill it's not even funny, but I didn't do it because I needed it, I did it because I wanted a serious setup on all 4. I'll have to run a brake bias adjuster and dial back the rears a lot to prevent locking them up when I slam the brakes and the rear unloads as weight transfers forward.

Nah, the offset of the rotor comes into play, as well as the thickness of the rotor. A rotor may exist out there somewhere, but you'd need to find one that has the right offset, bolt pattern, rotor thickness, etc. If you're just wanting a better look the 13" Baer kit will be just fine. In all reality our cars are so nose heavy the rear brakes are not the important thing to address braking-wise. In fact, any front engine, rear drive car is so biased toward the front for stopping power that the rear brake needs are MUCH less than that of the front. My rear setup is so completely overkill it's not even funny, but I didn't do it because I needed it, I did it because I wanted a serious setup on all 4. I'll have to run a brake bias adjuster and dial back the rears a lot to prevent locking them up when I slam the brakes and the rear unloads as weight transfers forward.

yea lol i know it would need to fit an sn95's bolt pattern...i guess i was wondering if any other 13" bear rotor without the huge hat would work. something they would know i'm sure. 

yea lol i know it would need to fit an sn95's bolt pattern...i guess i was wondering if any other 13" bear rotor without the huge hat would work. something they would know i'm sure. 

That's what I was saying about the offset of the rotor and the thickness. Our stock rear rotors are quite thin. There might be another rotor in their lineup that may fit but cross referencing would be tricky. Who knows, there might be something out there though. I'm with you though, having a salad bowl behind the wheel inside your rotor is a little less than ideal lol.

I just wish the surface area was thicker. But I suppose that has something to do with the fact that it is utilizing the stock caliper, the economic mustang upgrade

If it helps, if you get the cobra rear caliper brackets, you can maybe find a rear rotor that happens to be the same thickness as a cobra rotor. there is a noticeable gap difference between the two rotors and caliper brackets. If you go this route then you will need to go with cobra rear pads.

But again as mentioned, You will need to find the correct offset, in a 13" rotors between v6/gt stock rotor and cobra rotor thickness

They're pretty sweet... The calipers are huge!

20150527_202600_zps94n6nuzg.jpg

Damnit man up till those I was even sick of red brakes but the candy red is really sweet.  Also discovered you might be able to get them with a shelby logo = more difficult.  I am sent an email to their "contact us" trying to find the email of your friend.

Damnit man up till those I was even sick of red brakes but the candy red is really sweet.  Also discovered you might be able to get them with a shelby logo = more difficult.  I am sent an email to their "contact us" trying to find the email of your friend.

Haha, they call this "Fire Red".  I'm not a fan of things that stick out, normally.  However, these were on my mind since I saw a set of them go onto our Corvette at work!  Rick's a great guy and will give you all of the information you need.  

Haha, they call this "Fire Red".  I'm not a fan of things that stick out, normally.  However, these were on my mind since I saw a set of them go onto our Corvette at work!  Rick's a great guy and will give you all of the information you need.  

any chance you have his email?