f04682

Need some transmission gearing input

Hey fellas, i'm coming to you guys again for some transmission input.  Last year I purchased a TR3550 transmission for my 94GT w/ a 347 and 150 shot nos.  But currently I am still running the stock T-5, with well over 200k miles and it's and going on 22 years old and it has never been redone.  My problem is I ran the stang up to about 135-138 MPH at about 6100-6200 RPM's in 4TH gear running FMS 373 gears.  The T-5 5TH gear would have let the RPM's drop too low and looking at the TR3550 gear ratio for 4TH and 5TH gear it is the same as the T-5.  What are my options for getting more top end speed out of the TR3550, are their more gearing options (aftermarket) out there for the TR3550 tranny or am I screwed and need to start shopping for and T-56 (which I don't want to do if I can get around it).  As always, thanks for the input.

An easier option than dicking around with gears in the trans is either increasing your tire size or just swapping the gear in the rear end.  Either are cheaper than a 2500-3000 trans swap depending on what components you go with

I agree if you're looking for more top end MPH the place to do it is the rear end gears or tire diameter. 3.73's are not helping your top end speed, I would try dropping down to 3.55's, moving to a taller rear tire, or both.

What is your goal?  When you reference hitting 138mph I'm guessing you're talking about a highway pull?  Because I don't see a 150shot 347ci car trapping almost 140 in the 1/4... that's flying.

Myself, I wouldn't feel comfortable going to a taller tire for highway racing/top speed stuff.  To make any real significant difference you'd probably have to go to like a 28 inch tire and that would just scare me (there a reason no one shows up to 1/2 mile and mile events with them...).  I'd swap the rear-end gear down to a 3.27 probably.  The torque from a 347 and a nitrous hit will still motivate the car really well and you'll have the extra MPH you want.

Edited by Tabres

@Det_Riot i'm running a Comp Cam XE282HR and it has a pretty big lope, I wanted to run 3.55 rear gear but my engine builder said that I have to run a minimal of a 3.73 gear just it have decent driveability so that's why i'm running the 3.73

@95riosnake As far as tires go i'm running 26 inch tall tire, going to a taller tire may be in the cards but not much taller than 26.5 inches.

@Tabres I don't run 1/4 mile in fact it has never been to a track and it probably never will go, but I will run it up on the freeway and hell most factory tuned cars will run past 135MPH.  I have a V8 twin turbo BMW that my wife has taken the liberty to pass me up on the freeway coming home from a show.  (How embarrassing getting done by the dork driving wife) LOL

On 3/17/2016 at 3:02 PM, f04682 said:

@Det_Riot i'm running a Comp Cam XE282HR and it has a pretty big lope, I wanted to run 3.55 rear gear but my engine builder said that I have to run a minimal of a 3.73 gear just it have decent driveability so that's why i'm running the 3.73

@95riosnake As far as tires go i'm running 26 inch tall tire, going to a taller tire may be in the cards but not much taller than 26.5 inches.

@Tabres I don't run 1/4 mile in fact it has never been to a track and it probably never will go, but I will run it up on the freeway and hell most factory tuned cars will run past 135MPH.  I have a V8 twin turbo BMW that my wife has taken the liberty to pass me up on the freeway coming home from a show.  (How embarrassing getting done by the dork driving wife) LOL

Not to be a dick but if you were planning on sticking to freeway runs I don't think you picked the right cam.

The unfortunate thing is unless you gear down the rear end or up tire size, both of which you see like you're opposed to doing, you're most likely SOL.  Regardless of what transmission you choose, a 1:1 ratio is going to be your last pulling gear. Even if you're dead set on changing transmission your cheapest option would most likely be swapping in an mt82 since they have a 1:1 fifth gear not 4th. But all that does is add an extra shift to get to ~135. The only place you're going to see a huge increase in MPH capabilities is rear end gear so if it means swapping cams, that's what you might need to do.