dasr1985

UPR Chrome Moly K-member and Maximum Motorsports Control Arms

I've called both companies and didn't get a real solid answer on this, so I figured I would post here and see if anybody has any thoughts, ideas, opinions, recommendations, or experience.

2004 Mach 1

Currently running the complete front Maximum Motorsports k-member setup with forward offset front control arms.  Need to switch to UPR to accommodate On3 kit, and aside from probably having to switch from Delrin to performance Poly bushings; does anybody have anything to say about whether or not I can probably just use the Maximum forward offset control arms with the UPR chrome moly k-member?

just curious first, have you tried to make the on3 kit fit with the MM k member?   i thought their new kits didnt require the QA1 or UPR k member any more?

The way the forward facing headers are designed they don't clear the k-member according to a few other owners and the On3 guys.  I'm still in the "researching how to get out of this predicament" stage of this endeavor.  It blows because I really don't want to get rid of this k-member, but I can't get a refund and I'll def loose my a$$ in selling the On3 kit vice selling the MM k-member.  The faul lies with all 3 parties involved though.  In conversations with LMR (who I purchased through for the free shipping) and with On3 I never specifically asked if there would be issues running it with my MM K-member, BUT I did state what I was running and nobody every chimed up with, "nope it aint gonna work".  It wasn't until I was talking with another On3 owner that I found out, started doing forum digging (it was a weekend so no phone support) and found through 255 pages of an On3 thread that the MM k-member won't work.  Then, this past Monday I got the response from an email I sent to On3 that the MM K-member for sure will not work without doing custom headers to clear as well as a custom down pipe for the exhaust.  I'm still on the fence about what I'm gonna do, but damnit man the predicament.  I still slightly lean towards selling the turbo kit because I love the MM suspension set up so much.

I would wait to test fit the headers and down pipe first to see how much modification is needed to clear the MM k member before I did anything. Beyond that, I would definitely prefer to modify the On3 stuff instead of ditching the MM k member for the UPR... the two k members are not even on the same planet quality-wise so I would definitely do whatever is possible to keep the MM. It may not even be a situation where a full custom header is needed, it might be modifying individual primaries, cutting and modifying the flange to exit at a different angle, etc. The downpipe probably won't fit without modification regardless so that may not be the end of the world. Everyone I have seen install the On3 kit has said that modifications were needed fitment-wise so you're probably in for some work anyway.

As far as the MM control arms on the UPR K member, they should theoretically fit, but the offset may or may not cause clearance issues. I'm not sure if the arms are the only component that is offset, or if the mounting points for them on the MM K are also offset compared to stock. If the MM K member has the control arm mounts located in the same place as stock, then the UPR K should be able to swap in place of the MM.

I have non-offset MM front control arms and have used them both with the stock K member and now a Team Z autocross K member and they fit just fine with both. The only issue I think you need to check into is whether the offset will be a problem.

I like your perspective +95riosnake, this weekend I planned to get under the car and see if I can at least run a test fit with the headers just to see how bad it is.  I feel like if those can line up the rest of my issues will be a matter of bending/cutting/welding the rest of the piping needed to go back through the k-member for the exhaust.  I'm not giving up hope yet, but in the end I'm in no serious rush and absolutely I agree with you about the k-members.  In no way do I really want to get rid of the MM components so I'm pushing to do what I gotta do.  The downside is my Mach 1 is currently my daily ever since I got rid of my bronco (now a bad decision, lol) so whatever I'm doing it's on the weekends to be buttoned back up by sunday night unless I put in for leave.  I'll keep this thread posted.

18 minutes ago, dasr1985 said:

I like your perspective +95riosnake, this weekend I planned to get under the car and see if I can at least run a test fit with the headers just to see how bad it is.  I feel like if those can line up the rest of my issues will be a matter of bending/cutting/welding the rest of the piping needed to go back through the k-member for the exhaust.  I'm not giving up hope yet, but in the end I'm in no serious rush and absolutely I agree with you about the k-members.  In no way do I really want to get rid of the MM components so I'm pushing to do what I gotta do.  The downside is my Mach 1 is currently my daily ever since I got rid of my bronco (now a bad decision, lol) so whatever I'm doing it's on the weekends to be buttoned back up by sunday night unless I put in for leave.  I'll keep this thread posted.

Whew that's rough, it's gonna be tough getting that turbo setup installed and the car back up and running in a short time frame when the time comes. Might want to line up a rental car or a buddy for a ride to work lol.