GTTRacing91PGT

MXProbeStang Build

Weekend update (no pics, sorry):

Fuel lines are all finished, dash harness is grounded, brake switch spliced, clutch switch jumped, fuse block mounted, radio wired up, dash reinstalled, column remounted and secured, column electronics connected and cluster harness in place.

All this really leaves me with is fill fluids and do a last go over on all connectors/bolts and make sure everything is tight. Maybe one night this week I'll have good news for everyone!

4 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

I have to say I love how that throttle body setup looks, too bad it'll have to get covered up with an air cleaner (I assume).

I haven't decided how to tackle that issue yet. I want to take hood clearance into consideration, as well as aesthetics. I think once I get the car running and moving on its own I am going to focus on the hood over winter. The air cleaner will come into play at that point.

So todays update:

I finished up going over the engine bay, and as far as I can tell, all electronics are connected, tightened, grounded etc... Snugged all exhaust bolts up, made sure fuel lines weren't overlooked, and added oil. After each quart I went around and made sure nothing was leaking or seeping out anywhere, which it wasn't. Next up was filling with coolant. Started slowly pouring in the first gallon, again checking for leaks as I went. Everything looked good so I moved onto the second gallon. As I'm about to pour, I hear the dreaded drip of fluid... Take a peak underneath, and each side of the radiator has a slow drip. From what I can tell it is seeping out of the endtanks on each side. So I guess it's time to order a radiator and swap it out.

That frustrated me, so I cleaned up and called it a night. I went out this morning before work and cleaned up my tools I've left laying all over, and decided to swap driver side door harnesses. So at least that's done. I'll try to get it spliced tonight.

As things stand now, I am going to be trying to start it for the first time on Thursday night. I have a friend coming over who is familiar with the MSPNP2 unit, so hopefully we can get it fired up. I prob won't update again until Friday, so wish me luck. I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully it starts!

31 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

so what rad are you going with?  a mustang one or a probe one?

I'm using a Probe radiator. It fit the chassis best and allowed me to run the factory dual rad fan shroud. My factory burp tank bolts up as well. Originally, the plans were for the Mustang radiator to be used, but it ended up being too tall. I'm confident this will still keep it cool, especially with the 2 fans. This leak is just an unfortunate hassle and expenditure.

Friday morning update:

IMG_2677_zpszj6sczxv.jpg

IMG_2676_zpsh6g298hw.jpg

So I planned on some garage time Thursday night, with the end goal of turning the key. I had a good friend stop by who is familiar with TunerStudio so I had some helping hands also. As we set up the MSPNP and his laptop, we finally got into things and it was time to turn the key...

NOTHING.

This was sort of expected. We broke out the trusty test light and began tracing the starting circuit. We determined the ignition switch was sending power when the key was turned, but the plug between the column and the clutch switch wasn't getting power. Not much left to do but strip all the tape and loom off of the harness for the column and see what we have. It quickly became clear that someone was in there at one point, whether it be for an alarm or remote start or something. Turns out, it was hacked pretty good, with wires pulled out of poorly executed connectors and a ridiculous amount of tape. So I spliced it all back together correctly, and voila; power.

It was pretty late at this point, so we set timing and called it a night. I have to clean up the wiring under the dash again now, replace the radiator and locate an exhaust leak. I have a small list of electronics to splice in still but then I can start to turn my focus to cleaning it up and putting it together. I haven't put it into gear yet. I'll save that for another day. I may have to adjust the rod on my slave cylinder.

One more HUGE step done!

On 10/7/2016 at 5:08 PM, Orange 94 said:

AWESOME! Love this build

On 10/7/2016 at 8:19 PM, bthotrod said:

Happy to see it's running! First start-up is always a good feeling  :)

On 10/8/2016 at 1:15 AM, RedTwilight said:

Congrats on the start up!  The home stretch is coming into view now!

Thanks guys!

Nothing exciting to report over the weekend. I finished the driver side door wiring and made sure it all worked. Thankfully, windows go up and down from both switches, locks function from both doors, and mirrors function properly. Hooked the speakers up in the front doors, and those too work. Some progress is better than none.

My replacement radiator came in today, so I'm going to force myself into the garage tonight to swap that out. I think I have the tail light wiring figured out, so I'll work on splicing those, along with front turns, corners, fogs and headlights. Maybe by this weekend I'll have most of my wiring all spliced. I'd like to be done with that part and start putting the interior back together. Once I get that all done, I think it'll be time to try and back her out of the garage and see how it goes.

Weekend Update:

Not a lot of work done this week on the Probe. I did finish the tail light wiring and that all works correctly. Swapped the radiator out as well, so that's taken care of. I wired my turns and corners, but ran into a problem. I tapped my halos into the corner lights, and now they pop a fuse as soon as I turn them on. Turn signals and hazards work properly, just the corner lights are giving me problems. I'm sure it's the halos, so I need to undo it and find something else to run the halos off of. I spent most of my garage time on the garage itself, and a little work on the Nova took away from Probe progress. I'll update The Slop Shop thread though, so check that one out too!

Hell yeah brother! Love to see when projects come together like this. The intake looks so fitting on the probestang, I'm glad it went to someone who was going to utilize it properly!

So I spent the week tying up some loose ends in preparation to drive it. I wired my headlights up and reinstalled most of the interior. Secured a bunch of loose parts of the wire harnesses and made sure everything in the engine bay was secure since I won't have a hood on it yet. I also tightened all the exhaust bolts up to the best of my ability.

The big night came last night. Turned the key, fired it up, pushed the clutch in, hand on the shifter, slowly move in the direction of first gear......... NOPE. Ok, lets try reverse........ NOPE.

Well, this was expected. Disappointing regardless, but I expected this. I'm not using the Mustang clutch pedal and cable but rather the Probe clutch pedal with Miata hydraulics. The clutch fork was drilled to accept the rod from a hydraulic slave cylinder, so I believe that rod might be too short, and might possibly have to bleed the slave some more. I have good travel on the fork when the pedal is pressed, just not enough obviously. I hope to avoid the need of a larger aftermarket master cylinder, but that may be required if all else fails. I know plenty of people run stock master cylinders on their v8 Miatas, but there are a bunch who switch too. So add another item to the list of things to do!

I also realized I am terrible at tightening exhaust bolts. My whole garage filled with exhaust smoke and sent me stumbling to open the other garage door. While I'm underneath with the slave cylinder I'll have to go over all the bolts again. A big leak somewhere. I'm probably overlooking something stupid.

I'll update next week again. Maybe I'll have good news that time around!

The car is back on jack stands and I've started with a few things that had to be addressed:

I unbolted the slave cylinder on the trans to see if I could source a longer push rod. After doing some research, it sounds like my solution is going to be a larger master cylinder. From what I've read, the stock Miata master just isn't strong enough. I'm going to reinstall the slave and wait on a new master cylinder to arrive. Hopefully that does the trick. Unfortunately, that means the car won't be moving in the near future.

I decided on a hood scoop for the car and patiently waited its arrival. I was originally going to buy an sn95 cowl hood and cut it up and mold it to the Probe hood, but ultimately found a scoop with a lower price tag that I thought would work better anyhow. I got it the other day and did some test fitting.

IMG_2767_zpsykz7sr3f.jpg

IMG_2771_zpszuesqcmq.jpg

IMG_2773_zpswumnrdbs.jpg

It is a 3" and fits pretty nicely. I'll need a new hood as this one is chopped up pretty badly but I guess I'll see if my fiberglass skills still exist once I hit the junkyard. This will be one of my winter projects.

I also wanted to change my upper radiator hose, so I'm taking this downtime to do that. I'm using a Canton straight water neck and molded silicone elbows to eliminate the need for all the rubber and metal adapters and hose clamps. I should have that done next week so I'll get some pics up before and after once it's done.

Until next week....

Earlier this summer I seen this black ford probe coming towards me and it's funny cause at first glance I was like damn thats a clean ass rx7 :P the guy had it sitting low and a set of pricey mutli piece wheels. Not a car you see everyday around here though that's for sure. But after googling pics of them they can look pretty bad ass. And I agree those headlights are sweet! 

On 10/29/2016 at 9:17 AM, tony said:

Never see a clean cowl hood on a probe lol...from that side profile pic it looks like it will be pretty sick in the end

Thanks Tony. I'm hoping I can get it glassed on well enough. I'm nervous bonding the two materials together, but I don't have much of a choice. An aftermarket fiberglass cowl hood isn't offered for these cars so I have to do it myself.

On 11/14/2016 at 7:58 AM, Blackmage said:

God those headlights look disgustingly good on there!

On 11/14/2016 at 10:29 AM, tony said:

Earlier this summer I seen this black ford probe coming towards me and it's funny cause at first glance I was like damn thats a clean ass rx7 :P the guy had it sitting low and a set of pricey mutli piece wheels. Not a car you see everyday around here though that's for sure. But after googling pics of them they can look pretty bad ass. And I agree those headlights are sweet! 

The headlights are great. I take no credit for them as the previous owner built them, but yeah... they're pretty nice. I will have to replace the halos if I want them to work, but even without them, the projectors are nice.

As far as an update goes... I went to a new junkyard the other day for a hood and some other goodies but it turned out a total waste of time. The two Probes in the yard were hammered and stripped, so I left with nothing. In addition to that, I have been trying to get this master cylinder upgrade for a month or so, and it is just dragging out. I am under the impression it should arrive by the end of the week, so hopefully Thanksgiving week I can get it installed and bled, and maybe have some good holiday updates for everyone. I kinda lost all momentum on the car since this issue arose. I promise to get back at it though once this master cylinder arrives. I'll get some pics up of the headlights functioning, the new rad hose setup and the new master cylinder setup this coming week.

As far as bonding the fiberglass to the steel hood, the guy at my local body shop supply store recommended this bonding agent specifically for helping bond glass to metal.  I cant for the life of me remember what it was called but it came in a dual calk tube.  I did the same thing for a guy, put a glass cowl on a steel hood, and that was about 10 years or so ago.  To this day it has not cracked at all.  

After a quick google search it was something like this if not this exactly.  Its been so long i cant remember. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tes-08116?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-3m&gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQ5jwt-9dKyFwEDhnwUV28SaSjhfpOTfmMQ-sMWQfbm8aAjNj8P8HAQ

Edited by RideTech_Ryan

On 11/17/2016 at 10:19 AM, RideTech_Ryan said:

As far as bonding the fiberglass to the steel hood, the guy at my local body shop supply store recommended this bonding agent specifically for helping bond glass to metal.  I cant for the life of me remember what it was called but it came in a dual calk tube.  I did the same thing for a guy, put a glass cowl on a steel hood, and that was about 10 years or so ago.  To this day it has not cracked at all.  

After a quick google search it was something like this if not this exactly.  Its been so long i cant remember. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tes-08116?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-3m&gclid=Cj0KEQiAx7XBBRCdyNOw6PLHrYABEiQAJtyEQ5jwt-9dKyFwEDhnwUV28SaSjhfpOTfmMQ-sMWQfbm8aAjNj8P8HAQ

On 11/17/2016 at 0:39 PM, ttocs said:

panel bonding adhesive is great stuff.

I have heard of that stuff before. The price tag scares me a little bit since I don't own an applicator. I may have to see if I can find anyone close that has one of the applicators so all I need to do is buy the adhesive.

So a little bit of an update. I finally received the new master cylinder and other goodies so I forced myself into the garage last night to install it all. Unfortunately, and this is what I was afraid of, physically the unit won't fit. The actual size of the master cylinder is too large for the spot that it needs to go. Very frustrating, but I guess that's what to expect with a build like this. So I went ahead and ordered a smaller Wilwood unit that uses a remote reservoir. I'm hoping this will give me the flexibility to make it work. Hopefully I'll have it by the holiday and I can fit it up by the end of the week.

I'll get some pics up Monday morning for you guys.

So it's not the update I wanted to post, but it's an update none-the-less.

As a refresher, the Miata clutch master cylinder isn't strong enough to engage the clutch, so I decided to upgrade. I contacted Martin of Monster Miata in CA for a solution and he got a package together for me. It consists of a 7/8 Wilwood master cylinder, adapter plate and braided stainless 1 piece clutch line. Here it is next to the stock 5/8 Miata master:

IMG_2833_zpsbyfwlcez.jpg

Ends up this did not fit. It is too big for its location. I ordered a smaller master cylinder with remote reservoir to hopefully give me the flexibility I'll need. Even though it's all Miata components I'm dealing with on my Probe, the strut tower isn't the same distance from the Probe firewall as it would be on a stock Miata. In addition to the distance from firewall to strut tower, there is a ledge on the firewall right below the master cylinder where it was all grafted together and welded.

IMG_2858_zpskz8awlfi.jpg

Which brings me to my next issue. I had to have the adapter machined since it was also physically too large. It hit my booster and that ledge on the firewall. I sent it out to the machine shop to get modified since I do not have the equipment or tools to do so. In the mean time, my new master arrived and will fit in the space given. I'm not so sure it will fit with that ledge there though, so I hold off judgement until the adapter comes back.

A side note: There is a guy a mile up the road from me that has a machine shop on his farm, specifically Aquajet equipment. He is a good customer of mine, so I thought I'd check him out. I'd like to get a glimpse of his shop and will throw some pics up if I ever get the chance. Super nice guy though, and he agreed to modify the adapter. After driving back a very long stone road, I finally found the place :lol:

IMG_2895_zpsfpwvton1.jpg

IMG_2896_zps1wghlwre.jpg

IMG_2897_zpsufnl5vqf.jpg

IMG_2898_zps4xxmrqak.jpg

I picked the adapter up this morning, and my worst fears were realized... Won't fit. That damn ledge on the firewall is just too close.

IMG_2901_zpsuvi0t8y9.jpg

I'm thinking I will have to mount the master on a slight angle. I can use the existing mounting points if I slightly elongate the holes on the Wilwood unit and it will fit just like the original Miata unit. I'll have to mount the reservoir elsewhere but I'm not too worried about that.

IMG_2905_zpskahmotvl.jpg

IMG_2906_zps76rfejgr.jpg

My concern is going to be bleeding the system. What do you guys think about doing it this way? If I bench bleed the master first, I should be fine? The outlet for the hose will be slightly lower than the highest point. Modifying the firewall isn't an option for me so I'm at a bit of an impasse.

i have no experience bleeding anything like that but i would imagine you can get it pretty decent after a few tries.  

i know that place, it's right down the road from leids right?  never been there as a customer but used to delivery stuff every once in a great while when i worked at weavers i think

42 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

i know that place, it's right down the road from leids right?  never been there as a customer but used to delivery stuff every once in a great while when i worked at weavers i think

Yep, it's on Kohler, right around the bend from leids. Super nice guys and very helpful.

I'm a little frustrated with this car again, and with Christmas coming I've been pretty busy. Maybe by the New Year I'll have this thing mounted. I'll update whenever I do.

are you able to run some sort of hydroboost from a 96-04 mustang?  i really have no idea if you could get a power steering pump adapted to the motor to run it, but just a thought. it might open up some room near the clutch master.  

I know I haven't updated this since December, but I thought I'd keep everyone in the loop:

I still have some little issues to work out. I'll make a better post later this week. In the meantime, enjoy it moving on its own for the first time!

52 minutes ago, Blackmage said:

whatd you end up doing with the master cylinder?

So I ended up using the adapter and master cylinder in the previous post. I was able to beat on that little ledge on the firewall enough to allow the adapter to fit in the upright position. It was a lot closer than I thought once I really got into it. That allowed me to mount the master cylinder the correct way:

RWDPGT730_zpsphlaftd1.jpg

RWDPGT731_zpsbdp6gm3l.jpg

RWDPGT729_zps26zsivq9.jpg

On 10/29/2016 at 9:17 AM, tony said:

Never see a clean cowl hood on a probe lol...from that side profile pic it looks like it will be pretty sick in the end

I was going to do the hood myself but ended up having a new body shop up the street do it for me. I was afraid the scoop would crack off so I left it to the pros. I need to cut the holes underneath once I decide on an air cleaner, but otherwise it's done.

hood1_zps7kpr5dnc.jpg

hood3_zpsomexjvyy.jpg

hood2_zpsxgmpqpib.jpg

hood4_zpstifi43qh.jpg

hood5_zps3hh7kbq4.jpg