AustinX56

car running weird

so my car sits most of the time, only take it to shows, and its run fine, recently when i try to start the car it wont turn over, if i wait a minute it fires right up, fuel pump was replaced last year so it cant be that, also when im driving the radio will turn off and on and the car feels like its about to shut off and my anti lock light flashes real quick, it never did any of this when i drive with ac off..... any ideas, please and thank you the car is a 94 5.0 car runs good when im on the gas, but when im in drive but not hitting the gas is when my problems start

is the car basically stock?  any changes made to the car recently?   also, when you say wont turn over, do you mean the engine does not crank at all, or do you mean it cranks but does not start?  

4 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

almost sounds like a grounding issue

good point. i had that happening with my 96 at the battery.  have some wiggle the negative battery cable while your cranking, and see if it fires up.  

42 minutes ago, Blackmage said:

is the car basically stock?  any changes made to the car recently?   also, when you say wont turn over, do you mean the engine does not crank at all, or do you mean it cranks but does not start?  

its pretty much stock beside pulleys, and a CA, i can hear it trying to start but just wont fire

Edited by AustinX56

40 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

almost sounds like a grounding issue

had my grounds checked when the fuel pump went out, before i found it was the pump i had all my grounds checked

id still just pop the hood and grab onto both positive and negative cables and make sure they are tight. and if the "no crank" issue is happening, have someone wiggle them while you hold the key in the start position to see if anything changes.  

28 minutes ago, Blackmage said:

id still just pop the hood and grab onto both positive and negative cables and make sure they are tight. and if the "no crank" issue is happening, have someone wiggle them while you hold the key in the start position to see if anything changes.  

will give it a go, thanks bud

5 hours ago, Blackmage said:

are you having to jump start the car at all?  if not, id say its not the alt.

nah but if it sits for 3 days without being started it wont turn over at first, so i wait a few seconds and turn the key again it fires right up.... thanks for the help btw

On 5/13/2016 at 2:17 PM, AustinX56 said:

nah but if it sits for 3 days without being started it wont turn over at first, so i wait a few seconds and turn the key again it fires right up.... thanks for the help btw

Please stop saying "wont turn over". Its a term that makes my skin crawl because nobody uses it correctly.

Are you having an intermittent "NO CRANK" issue?

or is it a "Crank, no start" which will then "start" after you let it sit for a few seconds?

8 hours ago, The Mk2 said:

Please stop saying "wont turn over". Its a term that makes my skin crawl because nobody uses it correctly.

Are you having an intermittent "NO CRANK" issue?

or is it a "Crank, no start" which will then "start" after you let it sit for a few seconds?

crank no start the let it sit then fires back up

On 5/30/2016 at 7:30 PM, The Mk2 said:

Next time you go to start it. Turn the key on and off several times. 

"On" 1..2..3... "off" repeat 3+ times.

Then try to start it.

Let us know what you find

she started right up

8 hours ago, The Mk2 said:

Replace your fuel pump. The internal check valve is probably bad.

replaced that 3 moinths ago, she been starting better since ive been driving it more, but when im at cruising speed it stalls to 0 rpm's for a second the jumps back into place....iac or tps?

On 6/18/2016 at 5:29 AM, The Mk2 said:

I love being ignored

translation - something is still bad.  Could be a bad pump out of the box, could be a leak in the lines that causes it to loose pressure.  A fuel pressure gauge can confirm this.  

On 6/19/2016 at 2:42 PM, ttocs said:

translation - something is still bad.  Could be a bad pump out of the box, could be a leak in the lines that causes it to loose pressure.  A fuel pressure gauge can confirm this.  

will try and get that figured out soon, since its not a daily driver i dont need to hop on this right a way, but ill hook up a gauge and see, what pressure should it be at 

On 6/19/2016 at 3:42 PM, ttocs said:

its one of two things.

A bad check valve in his brand new (probably Airtex from the parts house) fuel pump.

OR

A turn S-Hose inside the tank.

I'll be willing to bet that a fuel pressure gauge will show a rapid drop in fuel pressure once the key is turned off.