Jump to content
Kyle5.0

Kyle's Project 98 GT Saleen Replica/AutoX Build

Recommended Posts

What's up guys? Im back in an sn95!

I was originally on the hunt for a Saleen or cobra but ran across this on Craigslist and couldn't pass it up. The body and interior are flawless with no rust or dings. There is a slight rattle in the engine I need to diagnose further however. 

The car is a a Chrome Yellow 98 GT with -120k miles I picked up somewhat locally here in Indiana. The car is mostly stock except for:
Full Saleen kit
Saleen s351 wing
Bassani catted x
Bassani catback
Pro 5.0 Shifter
98 cobra wheels
Cobra style headlights/clear corners
Unknown rear lights

Still trying to figure out my plans for the car, I'll most likely go the Saleen clone route and get some paint matched Saleen wheels because I love that look. First things first I need to run to the local pull a part and grab some OEM tail lights. Here are a few pictures from after cleaning it up this morning. I still need to grab some of the interior and motor.

 

After the 2 hour drive home. Didn't want to take a chance on rock chips

 

28003572216_dd1d2fea09_b.jpgDSC_0746 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

27424234283_f5cd0bef29_b.jpgDSC_0754 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

27960524261_dc46be4247_b.jpgDSC_0757 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

27960517711_f9f368f81e_b.jpgDSC_0760 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

Need to figure out how to get rid of the sag in the front bumper. Any suggestions?

27960512081_d5460ef254_b.jpgDSC_0763 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

 

 

Edited by Kyle5.0
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks really nice and clean.  Needs a little more low.  Oh and export tails.;)

 

To fix the sag on the bumper might require a little heat to warm the material up.  Then support it some how while it cools.  Be careful not to burn the paint.

 

To prevent future sagging, maybe bond a plate to the inside.  Then fab a bracket to connect it to the bumper itself. 

Edited by RedTwilight
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice!  Look forward to seeing what you do with it. I think a paint matched set of magnesiums would set this car off!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedTwilight said:

Looks really nice and clean.  Needs a little more low.  Oh and export tails.;)

 

To fix the sag on the bumper might require a little heat to warm the material up.  Then support it some how while it cools.  Be careful not to burn the paint.

 

To prevent future sagging, maybe bond a plate to the inside.  Then fab a bracket to connect it to the bumper itself. 

 

Haha suspension is one of the first things in the plans so dont worry! Ill try to get the bumper formed back into shape and I agree some sort of brackets are probably the best option,

11 minutes ago, Lanter said:

Very nice!  Look forward to seeing what you do with it. I think a paint matched set of magnesiums would set this car off!

 

Id love to find some magnesiums or lemans wheels when budget allows but it'll probably be reps to start with :/ Whatever I get will defiantly be paint matched though!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks great Kyle!

So the front bumper does have a sag? I didn't think thats how saleen bumper looked, looks like a littler derp smile :P
Taillights and lowering will really make it look sharp.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha yeah it is pretty saggy. The first things on the list are to address that bumper, get OEM tails w/ satin black bezels and probably just H&R race springs. I don't really want to slam this one as much. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That yellow paint looks clean man! Kinda strange that they would have such a clean exterior and then BAM....lets throw some star wars looking tail lights in there 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it man! To take it a bit further on your paint matched yellow wheels/clone plans, I vote you go for a Saleen SA-15 replica.... sooooo damn sexy and would only be a little vinyl wrapping required on top of a heat extractor to pull it off.

 

image031.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

Love it man! To take it a bit further on your paint matched yellow wheels/clone plans, I vote you go for a Saleen SA-15 replica.... sooooo damn sexy and would only be a little vinyl wrapping required on top of a heat extractor to pull it off.

 

image031.jpg

you take that picture from a camera phone from 1993?

 

images_saleen_s281_1998_1.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

I took it with my google images camera... and that shit is O.G. Mr. Photo Snob lol... note the signature and 90's vibe... don't hate lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Prokiller said:

looks clean for sure though.  going to get saleen side stripes or not?

I'll probably end up with them. I've always had mixed feelings about full out clones but they just look so good and it really pulls the Saleen kit together. I'll probably try to get everything as close to authentic Saleen as I can

6 hours ago, tony said:

That yellow paint looks clean man! Kinda strange that they would have such a clean exterior and then BAM....lets throw some star wars looking tail lights in there 

Hahaha. The owners I bought it from had it for 6 years and they said they didn't do too much to it so I'm guessing they've been on there since the early 2000s

4 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Love it man! To take it a bit further on your paint matched yellow wheels/clone plans, I vote you go for a Saleen SA-15 replica.... sooooo damn sexy and would only be a little vinyl wrapping required on top of a heat extractor to pull it off.

 

image031.jpg

Damn that's a good idea. If I can get my hands on a heat extractor that would definitely be an option

Link to post
Share on other sites

+1 on the SA-15 rep. Cervini's has a heat extractor that's close but not quite the same. You'll probably have to modify and combine two hoods or literally win the lottery and find someone selling that exact hood. Either way it'll look

20194329.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Spockbacca said:

+1 on the SA-15 rep. Cervini's has a heat extractor that's close but not quite the same. You'll probably have to modify and combine two hoods or literally win the lottery and find someone selling that exact hood. Either way it'll look

 

The cervinis hood is close, but I feel the ABCexclusive hood is even closer?
The cervini hood is more square, Termi replica? The ABCexclusive is a saleen replica, looks correct with the rounded slopes. The ABCexlusive also has the correct side vents it looks like?
Cervini is actually vented though .


http://www.cervinis.com/94-98mustang-heat-extractor-hood.html

https://www.abcexclusive.com/hoods_main.htm#sln800

Edited by Orange 94
Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Orange 94 said:

The cervinis hood is close, but I feel the ABCexclusive hood is even closer?
The cervini hood is more square, Termi replica? The ABCexclusive is a saleen replica, looks correct with the rounded slopes. The ABCexlusive also has the correct side vents it looks like?
Cervini is actually vented though .


http://www.cervinis.com/94-98mustang-heat-extractor-hood.html

https://www.abcexclusive.com/hoods_main.htm#sln800

If you go heat extractor dont go cervinis... Its more like a termi hood than a saellen heat extractor.

Look at keanan...

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Orange 94 said:

The cervinis hood is close, but I feel the ABCexclusive hood is even closer?
The cervini hood is more square, Termi replica? The ABCexclusive is a saleen replica, looks correct with the rounded slopes. The ABCexlusive also has the correct side vents it looks like?
Cervini is actually vented though .


http://www.cervinis.com/94-98mustang-heat-extractor-hood.html

https://www.abcexclusive.com/hoods_main.htm#sln800

 

Rich you're absolutely right! I never think about ABCexclusive, I don't know why. But yeah that looks pretty dead on!

Edited by Spockbacca
Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive heard good things about keanan and Ill see a used one pop up every once in a while. Ill keep my eye open.

 

Alright 2v experts. Ive got a video of it at cold start and after its warmed up for a few minutes. I had a 95 for 7 years so I know nothing about 2v's. My first guess though is timing chains or tensioners. It sounds like a chain and from my understanding the tensioners use oil pressure? When driving I hear no noise except when off the throttle to shift. The car runs fine otherwise and pulls hard. 

 

 

 

Edited by Kyle5.0
Link to post
Share on other sites

Whew that does sound rough on the cold start, hopefully the modular guys on here can lend some expertise, as my modular knowledge is pretty much nonexistent also. It definitely sounds normal after it's warmed up so I'm not inclined to think its a major fix.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll have to listen to the vid later but could it be the lash adjusters not fully pressurized on start up?

 

I like the SA 15 scheme other than the yellow wheels.  But maybe black wheels would look good too.  Just enough to go with the black on the hood center and not too much yellow.  It'll also be a nod to the design and making it your own versus an all out replica.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RedTwilight said:

I'll have to listen to the vid later but could it be the lash adjusters not fully pressurized on start up?

 

I like the SA 15 scheme other than the yellow wheels.  But maybe black wheels would look good too.  Just enough to go with the black on the hood center and not too much yellow.  It'll also be a nod to the design and making it your own versus an all out replica.

Would that cause the noise in between shifts?

1 hour ago, Orange 94 said:

yellow wheels or bust.

Haha don't worry. 80% of the reason I bought the car was so I could do yellow wheels

Link to post
Share on other sites

Friday evening I picked up some OEM 96-98 tails off CL so yesterdays project was getting them painted and installed. I painted the bezels satin black, but being impatient while waiting for it to dry I decided to throw on my old gloss black bezels. I kinda dig the look so Im not sure which ones Ill go with in the end. Either way it looks 1000x times better than what was on there before. 
IMG_0622_zpsskstdtm9.jpg
28102625502_7700d6dc84_b.jpgDSC_0820 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
28172934536_c73189ee66_b.jpgDSC_0829 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr
27590916814_fc9a4bf6cb_b.jpgDSC_0834 by Kyle Matson, on Flickr

Edited by Kyle5.0
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

1000000% improvement! I personally prefer the gloss black bezels, looks more finished than satin IMO. But satin will look good also.

Yeah that was kinda my thinking too. Ill probably stick with the gloss

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, RideTech_Ryan said:

Love the Saleen replica idea.  :wub:

 

Thank you! If only I had some RideTech parts for it (cough I'm only a few hours away cough)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Air Ride FTW!!! I've only had one one 2V Kyle so I'm no expert by any means but the modulars are prone to timing tensioners going bad and if you hear the noise in between shifts it could be due to the engine not having a load on it so it gets a little loose. Again, no expert but maybe someone can chime in. @Tabres just got his tensioners in his 4V situated. Not sure if he'd know anything about the 2V but dude's very knowledgable!

Edited by Spockbacca
Link to post
Share on other sites
On July 13, 2016 at 0:49 PM, RideTech_Ryan said:

350 South St. Charles St. (cough, cough)

Jasper, In (cough, cough) lol 

Stop by and ill show you what we have and give you the tour.

Thanks! After our wedding next year I may take you up on that offer, wish the money was in the budget now but I guess I have to do adult stuff first haha. I'd love to check it out though. 

On July 14, 2016 at 10:35 PM, Spockbacca said:

Air Ride FTW!!! I've only had one one 2V Kyle so I'm no expert by any means but the modulars are prone to timing tensioners going bad and if you hear the noise in between shifts it could be due to the engine not having a load on it so it gets a little loose. Again, no expert but maybe someone can chime in. @Tabres just got his tensioners in his 4V situated. Not sure if he'd know anything about the 2V but dude's very knowledgable!

Yeah at this point I feel like it's the tensioners. I'm still debating if I want to fix it or just wait and throw a pi crown Vic motor in it in the future. 

 

Well last night I made an offer on some r50 cobra r wheels on eBay so they should be heading my way soon. I got them for a decent price and it will give me the chance to see how I like the yellow on the car. They are to just hold me over until I can get some legit saleens, CCW's, HRE in the future. 

image_zpsxufykpw7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Spockbacca said:

With the wheels out of the way now, you can do something about the 4x4 status!!!

 

Hopefully soon! Got to keep the fiancé happy and not buy too much at once. I'll probably just go with H&R SS or sportlines paired with a set of Konis or Bilsteins. After driving my Honda with suspension work for the last year and coming from an sn95 with coilovers and a bunch of MM parts it definitely needs work though lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

those actually look pretty good on there, wasnt sure if I'd like em or not.    cheap fix for the springs, cut those bitches for the time being ;) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


SN95 Source ©

The premier SN95 Community

×
×
  • Create New...