GTTRacing91PGT

Poor Throw Out Bearing!

Which Clutch?!  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Which clutch/flywheel combo for my 2003 Mach 1?

• Exedy 500 w/ Exedy lightweight flywheel
    • Mcleod Super Street Pro w/ Mcleod lightened steel flywheel

So I got a little scare this weekend when my 03 Mach started making a terrible metal on metal screeching sound from under the hood, and the car stalled out on me while decelerating. Took about 15 minutes before the car would start back up and run, but still had the terrible noise. I let it sit another 15 minutes or some and was able to drive the car about 5 minutes down the road to my in-laws. There is nothing visibly wrong anywhere and no leaks either. Oil looks full and clean. While driving it back after it shut off and having my foot rest on the clutch pedal while driving, I can feel a pulsating in the clutch pedal. The screeching sound is very loud with the car in gear, quiets down with the clutch pressed in. I've come to the educated guess that my throw out bearing is toast.

So I will do the TOB, clutch and flywheel all at once on my 2003 Mach 1. I'm thinking Exedy 500 with the Exedy flywheel or the Mcleod Super Street with Mcleod flywheel. Both are around the same price, so I'm not worried about that. Any suggestions? I need this ordered in the next day or so, so any input will be considered!

i know you probably ordered already, but ive had good luck with my spec stage 2 clutch.  it chattered like mad when i first installed it, but after about 40k miles and 2 motors, its still holding strong.

When my TOB went out, it squealed only when I pushed the clutch in, to the extent that I limped it home shifting without using the clutch. This would have to be the first time I've heard of a bad throwout bearing making noise when the clutch is released, then going silent when the clutch is pressed in... A bad/worn bearing of any kind makes noise when pressure is applied to it in one way or another, when the clutch is released there is no load on the throwout bearing. When you push the clutch in, the force is applied to the bearing, which would normally cause it to start squealing if it was bad. I would be inclined to think the noise is coming from something else. Of course if you're doing a new clutch then a new TOB is only common sense so it's all good.

McLeod hands down. I love my McLeod... almost stock pedal pressure and it'll hold a mountain of power.

On 8/16/2016 at 5:34 AM, 95riosnake said:

when the clutch is released there is no load on the throwout bearing. When you push the clutch in, the force is applied to the bearing, which would normally cause it to start squealing if it was bad.

While that is true the vast majority of the time, it's not always the case.  Some clutches do pre-load the TOB even when the clutch is fully released.  My McLeod twin disk is that way.  Makes it a real bitch to get the transmission back in.

Good point @Tabres I guess that could be the case, although I assume his clutch is stock?

Side note: I voted for McLeod but then realized the clutch in the poll was a single disc. I have no experience with their single disc clutches, and no experience with the Exedy either so I guess disregard my recommendation on that lol.

If you can swing a McLeod RST you will not regret it, I guarantee it. The price is rough but I would never even consider going back to a single disc setup after having driven my car with a twin disc.

1 hour ago, 95riosnake said:

Good point @Tabres I guess that could be the case, although I assume his clutch is stock?

Side note: I voted for McLeod but then realized the clutch in the poll was a single disc. I have no experience with their single disc clutches, and no experience with the Exedy either so I guess disregard my recommendation on that lol.

If you can swing a McLeod RST you will not regret it, I guarantee it. The price is rough but I would never even consider going back to a single disc setup after having driven my car with a twin disc.

it's been so long since you drove it Dan, can you even remember that far back?:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Prokiller said:

it's been so long since you drove it Dan, can you even remember that far back?:ph34r:

OOH the burn! lol

I can just barely remember ;)

What I will never forget was the misery that was getting stuck in traffic in that car with the old Ram HD clutch... pulling over and taking a nap was your best bet with that setup lol.

On 8/16/2016 at 6:34 AM, 95riosnake said:

When my TOB went out, it squealed only when I pushed the clutch in, to the extent that I limped it home shifting without using the clutch. This would have to be the first time I've heard of a bad throwout bearing making noise when the clutch is released, then going silent when the clutch is pressed in... A bad/worn bearing of any kind makes noise when pressure is applied to it in one way or another, when the clutch is released there is no load on the throwout bearing. When you push the clutch in, the force is applied to the bearing, which would normally cause it to start squealing if it was bad. I would be inclined to think the noise is coming from something else. Of course if you're doing a new clutch then a new TOB is only common sense so it's all good.

McLeod hands down. I love my McLeod... almost stock pedal pressure and it'll hold a mountain of power.

So some time has gone by since my original post, and I moved the car around a couple of times afterwards. I guess my initial explanation wasn't as accurate as it could have been. The screeching sound was very loud ALL the time, but the sound definitely changed with the pedal pressed. It did get louder when pushing in the clutch, not quieter.

So onto the job at hand:

Removed the clutch cable cover and was greeted with these...

IMG_2466_zpsaerrpm5a.jpg

IMG_2468_zps11cxy1ex.jpg

I was relieved to find that it was just the throwout bearing and not something more serious. I decided to order a flywheel as well at this point. I went with the McLeod Street Pro and a McLeod lightened steel flywheel. New pilot bearing, throwout bearing and fluid was done as well. I kept the stock clutch cable.

Moved the xpipe and heard a rattle.

IMG_2470_zpsyh5xfygn.jpg

IMG_2471_zps2kpi0bs1.jpg

Must have been from bottoming out so often. You can see all the damage to the outside of the cats in the next pic. Took an air hammer to them and just hollowed them out.

IMG_2473_zpsseyd8nzz.jpg

IMG_2474_zps3iabb8ce.jpg

IMG_2475_zpszirlcwjd.jpg

At the end of the day, I am happy with the new setup so far. I only have about 100 miles on it, but it feels just as it did prior. I still have the annoying grind/bang into 2cnd when cold, but aside from a new transmission, I think that's unavoidable. Thanks for the McLeod recommendations!

26 minutes ago, Blackmage said:

how much of a change in sound did you get with hollowing out the cats?  

In my opinion, the overall noise level didn't increase, just the tone of it. With the cats, the exhaust sounded a little smoother. When you got on it, it had a nice, loud, smooth sounding tone. With them hollowed, especially under heavy throttle, it's become noticeably raspier. I don't think it's really any louder, just not as controlled as before. Overall though, not a huge difference.

i was just curious is all.   I hollowed out 4 cats on my audi, 2 of which were about 2" away from the turbo's, and the exhaust note hardly changed at all.  but im sure my turbos were happier.