Silverv6

Help with vortech?

I have a vortech v2 for my 3.8 v6 and the only issue im having with it is when i bolt the bracket up to the head and block the tensioner is touching the harmonic balancer.. The bracket came off a 98 motor and is supposed to be for 94-04 i believe. The belt was not on due to the motor being out of the car and not complete at the moment. Does anyone know why? I know you have to grind the water pump would that have anything to do with it?

i keep rereading the OP and i started thinking, whitch the belt in place, do you think the tensioner would still hit the dampener? my 4.6 pully moves like an additional 2+ inches up and almost hits another bracet without my belt..

i would agree with hunter. put the belt on first to see how it looks and check for clearance. If there is a required mod to do before installing that on your car then that might have something to do with it as well. just do what the required shaving consist of and put the belt on just to verify that there is in fact a problem.

It might clear with the belt on but im not sure i cant mock it up because the motors in the disassemblily process as Jeremy said. I would need a 1/4" of clearance maybe a bit more for it to work well think i could get that? I heard there are 2 different tensioners for this set up which is why im asking in the first place.

Pics just for frank =PP

post-82-1388183629945_thumb.jpg

First ones the mock up seconds a pic i just found online looks like it might work granting its the correct tensioner.

post-82-13881836298591_thumb.jpg

Curious to see what kinda power this thing will make. Will it be a stroker? Will it hang with a n/a cobra? :) Ps thanks for the pics :)

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

Yes 4.3 stroker fully forged. If i can get enough fuel to it hopefully it will =P Your welcome haha

building it for about 400 horse.

*evil laugh* Yeah the biggest issue is fuel according to james he put down 410 but maxed out the svt pump

I bought one when I installed my S trim on my Bullitt just to be safe. Tuner didnt even have to turn it on, but it is there for future mods. Car put down 383/387 with plenty of fuel ( cobra injectors too)

My goal is 400 its a hefty one but i know its possible because ive seen it done, maybe ill get some cobra injectors? Fuel is one of my main issues because im not sure how much to run..

My goal is 400 its a hefty one but i know its possible because ive seen it done, maybe ill get some cobra injectors? Fuel is one of my main issues because im not sure how much to run..

I knew I most likely wouldn't need it, but I found a hell of a deal on a used one so I snagged it...better to be safe than sorry!

Personally I would look into some 60's. I maxed out my 39's in the low 400's. I prefer a little room for safety. And nowadays the bigger injectors (60's, 80's) can be tuned to idle like a stocker.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Better to have the capacity to have more fuel than necessary, then your pump won't be running on such a high duty cycle, same with your injectors. Get more than you need the first time lol

Personally I would look into some 60's. I maxed out my 39's in the low 400's. I prefer a little room for safety. And nowadays the bigger injectors (60's, 80's) can be tuned to idle like a stocker.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

It's weird how some cars react. My buddy put down 420/420 with his T trim on a stock motor with cobra injectors (Boost a pump too) and had no issues..tuned down to 399/398 and still has no fuel issues.

the balancers look totally different. none the less. with the belt depressed on the tensioner, you should have more room. as for the fuel issue, buy a stryker 340 pump and 60lb injectors. 39 and 42 make their muscle on V8s. the 2 less cylinders is tasking the fuel system. also, trying to get the 400 out of 6 squirters will be a higher demand.

the balancers look totally different. none the less. with the belt depressed on the tensioner, you should have more room. as for the fuel issue, buy a stryker 340 pump and 60lb injectors. 39 and 42 make their muscle on V8s. the 2 less cylinders is tasking the fuel system. also, trying to get the 400 out of 6 squirters will be a higher demand.

Yeah i know i mentioned the balancers looking different earlier in the thread. I figure i need about 1/4 inch or so and i would be good. 400 is a huge goal but possible its been done a few times.

Although the bracket is 94-04, you're right about your crank pulleys lookng different.

You have an 02 and the vortech pic you posted is a 94-98. Crank pulleys are different for 94-98, 99-00.5 and 00.5-04

I have an 01 but according to vortech it should work as long as its not an aftermarket crank.. the only thing left to do is finish the motor and see if it gets pulled back with the belt.. i mean if i got literally 1/4-1/2 an inch it would be fine.. and with the other parts on there it should work dont you think?

you mean the harmonic balancer then silly goose :) not the crank

Yes but thats exactly what vortech told me..

ever get this going?

Currently the motor is in disassemble stage lol going to the machine shop here in a few weeks to get the block and heads redone then ordering internals and she will be going together =]

Ha, its still chillin on the engine stand. I think before the end of the year he's going to get the machine work done and the forged short block assembled :)

that the plan =]