RedTwilight

Mustang Week 2017 Sept. 4-10

Has anyone else seen that Mustang Week will be changing dates for 2017 from July to September 04 - 10?

Not sure if I'm happy or sad about this.  I can see a lot of people not making it due to school starting at that time of year.  But then again there will be fewer of the mini-van crowd there. 

Temps aren't going to be much cooler, and the hotel prices are still a bit high due to the holiday.

The venue change will also allow for more vehicles. 

And I was just thinking of getting a new license plate that said CRWD CTRL.

I was going to make an honest effort to attend 2017 for the first time by making it my family's summer vacation. They've never been to Myrtle Beach. Like many others are expressing, my kids are in school on these new dates and my work is very busy this time of the year, so I will not be able to go to this one. I know I am just one person, who has never been here before. But I am sure there are others in my situation, and it adds up. I understand the circumstances surrounding the change, but it is still a shame.

There's always Carlisle :2thumb:

Edited by GTTRacing91PGT

Attendance will inevitably take a huge dip... pretty much anyone with kids will have to either stay home or come alone. Pretty tough for people to take off on a week vacation at the beginning of the school year. On top of that you can add the extra hotel crowding of the first day being Labor Day. I'm sure they have good reasons for the date change that we don't all fully understand but it sure seems like a terrible idea to me.

Now if only Carlisle Ford Nationals would change the damn date of their show I'd be happy. Nearly every year it falls on the same weekend as my wife's birthday and roasting in the heat at a car show is the last thing she wants to do to celebrate. And me skipping town for the weekend of my wife's bday isn't exactly a great idea lol.

2 hours ago, Sho Amo said:

What a dumb move. I wonder what they were thinking or if they even have a choice.

No they didn't really have much choice.  The mall that has been the venue for the show and cruise will be under heavy renovation next year.

So that local is out.

The convention center is booked April - August for the nexterm 5 years.  Sept was the earliest date.

As far as the huge empty old mall parking lot that the Rod Run is held at;  Myrtle Beach Town Council will not let MW  be held there. They said it was because of the videos online of burnouts and fly-bys at the current venue.  So that has finally came around to bite MW in the backside.

As far as other possible venues; Brad, Mike,  and Rodney have spent countless weeks and trips down there in search of viable places.  Non have proved to meet the requirements needed for such a large event.

So basically the MW staff is doing the best they can with what is available.  Be glad that it is still going on instead of being shut down altogether. 

Well it sounds like all the dipshit idiots who can't grow up enough to control themselves have screwed the event out of the Rod Run venue... I don't blame Myrtle Beach at all. I'm surprised they even want the event to be held there anymore. I'm sure they appreciate the tourism dollars but there's a point where the income is outweighed by the nuisance to other tourists and having black marks on every bare spot of pavement in the city lol. I guess when I was 19-20 I used to do a lot of burnouts so I probably can't climb on a soap box too high, but a vast majority of the people are not just young kids that can't control themselves.

i'm actually happy about it.  should be cooler and less crowds.  i get not wanting to take the kids out of school but come one, it's the first week or so of school, they don't do anything anyway.  katie already found a house for the crew and it's significantly cheaper than even the week before it, like by half.

i want to say this year was much better besides some silver sn95 getting all sideways it was pretty good and I didn't hear of any wrecks I am fine with the date change the house we are looking at is cheaper then I think ????

5 minutes ago, Yeahloh95 said:

i want to say this year was much better besides some silver sn95 getting all sideways it was pretty good and I didn't hear of any wrecks I am fine with the date change the house we are looking at is cheaper then I think ????

my understanding is that house if we were to rent it the week before would be almost twice the cost.  and if we rent it the week after its only like a grand for the whole week.

Yea it didn't seem to be that rowdy at all compared to the year before. Actually i may have been the only one that got any kind of ticket and that was just because Tom needs to work on his hand signals :P

I did wake up to a million FB messages about the house, lol. Sorry I was already counting sheep by the time you guys were talking about it. The price definitely sounds good to me, I'll have to run it by Andrea and see if we can come.

I highly doubt my car would be show ready by then, I'll be happy if it can move under its own power by then lol. There just hasn't been any money left in the budget for the car yet.

That sucks about moving dates.  Being in July made the perfect excuse to combine mustang week and a family vacation for me.  Though lower prices and temps is always welcome.  Hopefully attendance isn't too far down from this year.

4 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Well it sounds like all the dipshit idiots who can't grow up enough to control themselves have screwed the event out of the Rod Run venue... I don't blame Myrtle Beach at all. I'm surprised they even want the event to be held there anymore. I'm sure they appreciate the tourism dollars but there's a point where the income is outweighed by the nuisance to other tourists and having black marks on every bare spot of pavement in the city lol. I guess when I was 19-20 I used to do a lot of burnouts so I probably can't climb on a soap box too high, but a vast majority of the people are not just young kids that can't control themselves.

The part that gets me is that they still allow the bike weeks and they (at least one of them) are much worse than Mustang Week has ever been.  I know last year during the crotch-rocket bike week there was at least one murder, stolen bikes, bank robbery, shootings, a lot of drugs, and at least one year there was someone running from the cops.  That particular week is WAY WAY worse than Mustang Week will ever be.

All MW has really had was burnouts (some that have resulted in wrecks), flybys, and engine revving.  All of which also happens during the bike weeks and other auto weeks.

The negative outpouring was certainly to be expected.  The MW staff has done GREAT for the past 15 years, this July 2016 is no exception.  I had a great time this year, and even learned more about my car and how it deals with the heat.  I kind of expect the heat during mustang week.  Its summer / July in South Carolina!

This was already mentioned, but the mall construction took away that venue.  The Convention center certainly has the space.  Vendors inside, car show outside, and way more room.  I just hope for everyone sake that they do a bit better job at getting people into the place.  It took us almost an hour sitting in the heat to get in there for the Meet and Greet. 

The time frame is just awful, but again, their hands were tied.  The city brings up the burnouts and horseplay every time a suggestion is made and the actions of a few have finally taken their toll.  This year was FAR less dumbness than previous years, but still, history can't be rewritten.  Aside from families that have school starting, there's also family traditions on Labor day.  Families keep those close to home, and either have local events or attend local events.  It's a nice break for the kids / teachers / students after the stress of starting a new school year. 

It is a pretty big conflict for my wife and I.  We are part of the crew that supports multiple racers at the Yellow Bullet Nationals, which is held Labor Day weekend every year.  Rain date is the folowing weekend.  Last year one of those racers was in the winners circle for Super Street and this year there is a strong chance at a repeat.  There's also a strong chance at winning 10.0 index for one of our racers.  I'm PSYCHED about this weekend! 

I really cant imagine the logistics and financial hit it would cause for us to do YBN and then head right down to Myrtle Beach in 2017.  It's just crazy. 

I hope for 2018 the MW staff are able to make it on a weekend other than labor day, for everyone's sake!  I also hope they entertain having it in an entire different state all together.  Maybe one that could use the HUGE influx of $$$ the event generates.  I'm biased, but what about Maryland?  There beaches, dragstrips and a raceway within a reasonable distance.  Or Virginia, which has the same?  You could even go north and have something in the poconos - Island dragway isnt far, you have the Pocono Raceway.  and it would be right in my back yard :) 

ok, Rant off.  Sorry for the novel, but I type fast. 

I've had many conversations with people about how nice it would be if they would consider another location. Don't get me wrong, I love Myrtle, but there are plenty of other coastal locations that have plenty to offer. I would go as far as to say some of the other options may have more to offer both in scenery and in affordability. It would certainly be a welcome change if it somehow got closer to home for us in the northeast, the distance is definitely a restricting factor. The only way my car will ever make it there, if I ever get it finished lol, is on a trailer (that I don't have) behind a truck (that I don't have). Sure I could roll the dice and drive it there, but that's a massively long trip for a car littered with parts that can't be had at a parts store at the next exit. If that trip length went down to say, 5-6 hours instead of 8.5, that changes the game significantly.

I may not have much else going on with the car but I'm trying to figure out a way to go. We are usually getting 60+ hours a week through sept and oct and Sammy's obviously in school. 

10 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

that's it not telling you which one

You'd blow all of our minds if you showed up with that notch on bags, 19's and coyote swapped hauled down with that f100 with the same :P 

11 hours ago, tony said:

You'd blow all of our minds if you showed up with that notch on bags, 19's and coyote swapped hauled down with that f100 with the same :P 

I'm gonna put balloons in my rear coils.  Does that count?!

14 hours ago, Steve-Oh said:

We're gonna be ballin' this year!  

Gonna get some new tires beforehand and then burnouts for days.

don't you have to get it running first to do that?  :P