bthotrod

The Thompson's 98 Cobra Vert Build

5 hours ago, bthotrod said:

My dad is considering paying up some cash for a local vinyl/ car wrap place to make some vinyl stripes for the sides that are similar to the Saleen ones like this

5p1puu.jpg

but say "COBRA" and in a lot bigger of font. Opinions? May just photoshop some on and see what it looks like later. (This stripes are hypothetical, it'll be a while)

Update... me and my dad went to the local dragstrip tonight as usual and saw an SN95 with cobra jet stripes and we both basically said we have to have them no matter the cost. We are getting some made probably in the near future but the blue will be black and the red will be grey.

download_20161020_215531[1].jpg

2 hours ago, Blackmage said:

saw a red cobra vert drive past my house the other day with the cobra jet on the side, just didn't look right at all :-/    

Cobra Jet Stripe Edit.jpg

I think the biggest obstacle is getting around the side scoop... here's a quick photoshop of the color scheme on the grabber blue. Idk, I gotta say I kinda dig it.. (Also lowered it in photoshop)

The CJ graphics look killer on that white SN. Vinyl isn't my thing, but if you're wanting graphics I think the black/gray looks kinda cool against blue and doesn't jump out at you too much. I would nix the "JET" from the graphics maybe, and just make the cobra lettering stretch longer to fill the space.

10 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

The CJ graphics look killer on that white SN. Vinyl isn't my thing, but if you're wanting graphics I think the black/gray looks kinda cool against blue and doesn't jump out at you too much. I would nix the "JET" from the graphics maybe, and just make the cobra lettering stretch longer to fill the space.

Agreed 100%. Also, finally figured out how to insert pics with Flikr and thus I don't fill up the space I'm allotted on my profile, so here's some quick pics from a photoshoot I had with my friend the other day. Also, a roll of vinyl, the cobra lettering, and 1 inch wheel spacers come in tomorrow! Two coils have been cut off the front and the back has been swapped out with some V6 springs. Not quite the stance I was going for but it's free for now and looks a ton better than it did before.

DSC_1151DSC_1185DSC_1187DSC_1140

Letters didn't come in today but the roll of wrap did along with the wheel spacers. The wheel spacers made the stance PERFECT but I didn't get a chance to take too many pics. It sits flush with the fender, which is what I was going for. Also did some undercarriage painting with some rattle cans to pretty it up. 

Also put new ball joints in and a new strut for driver's side because we thought it was bad due to how it sat. Strut turned out not to be bad but a new one never hurt anybody - ball joints on the other hand were wore slam out, happy I replaced.

20161025_164601[1]

Here it is sitting alongside the '69 I restored from age 15 to 16. (You should check out my Instagram page and scroll back a while and check out some before pics.)

20161025_172325[1]20161025_172315[1]

P.S. Ignore the exhaust hanging by wire... it is bent all up and in weird ways. Hopefully gonna get new pipes ran over the axle and new long exhaust tips ran soon!

Cobra emblems came in today! Ordered them flat black w/ gloss inserts. Love how they turned out, however the one where the grill is at is almost too subtle to notice and I'm not sure if I like that. Got a front and rear alignment done, and was told that our suspicion that it had once been in a wreck was definitely true  -however they were able to get everything within 2 degrees of one another and honestly it drives phenomenally so I can't complain. Also took a few more good pics:

DSC_1193DSC_0007DSC_0009

Edited by bthotrod
Grammar

Brandon that thing look sick! I might have get you to help me with my respray when it comes time! Are you sticking with the Bullitt wheels or are you planning some new shoes down the road? Either way it looks great man!

4 hours ago, Spockbacca said:

Brandon that thing look sick! I might have get you to help me with my respray when it comes time! Are you sticking with the Bullitt wheels or are you planning some new shoes down the road? Either way it looks great man!

Going to keep the Bullitts for now though I personally don't like them. They are free and black so for now I'm going to focus my money/ attention on bigger issues, like putting on a new top/ windshield but later down the road I'd love a different set of rims . Bullits are so "cookie cutter." Not a fan. Got a few XXRs I've been looking at though..

Fun news, stickers!!! Ahh what a difference this made. (Carbon fiber lower panel/ carbon fiber stickers. Not too noticeable but a nice touch of detail)

20161028_170122[1]20161028_141310[1]20161028_180155[1]

Sweet vert for sure!  The car has sure come a long way.  Good job saving it.  The Grabber Blue looks really good on the SN.  I'm really loving the 69 too.  One of the best years.

Quick update: Not much has happened but a brand new top & glass is going in next week. Found a guy who does a really good job (saw some of his work) and only charges $250 labor for an SN95 top. (Already bought the top.)

On 11/9/2016 at 11:10 PM, bthotrod said:

Quick update: Not much has happened but a brand new top & glass is going in next week. Found a guy who does a really good job (saw some of his work) and only charges $250 labor for an SN95 top. (Already bought the top.)

NICE! Hey do you have a gap in the corner where the top meets the back of the rear corner window? Like where is pictured below.

193956d1448336597-window.jpg

My top has a gap here on Both sides where the weatherstripping part wont seat properly when I put the top up. I've had three convertibles and I don't remember the first one but the second one definitely had the gap and so does the Cobra. I'm going to replace all the weatherstripping but I think a new top is the only solution???

23 hours ago, Spockbacca said:

NICE! Hey do you have a gap in the corner where the top meets the back of the rear corner window? Like where is pictured below.

193956d1448336597-window.jpg

My top has a gap here on Both sides where the weatherstripping part wont seat properly when I put the top up. I've had three convertibles and I don't remember the first one but the second one definitely had the gap and so does the Cobra. I'm going to replace all the weatherstripping but I think a new top is the only solution???

Just saw this and it's currently at the shop getting replaced.. and I looked through all my old pics and I can't find any that show it well enough. I see a crease there in my pics but that's it :( Sorry, wish I could help! Was more worried about the giant rips that allowed water to enter so I never would have paid something like that much mind. When I get the new top back I'll see if it ends up with a crease like that or not though and report back!

Alright I'm back... the short of the story is that the installer did a horrible job on the installation (was put on  2 inches off to one side, the door glass even hit on the top when you opened and shut the door) and took a week and a half, then apologized and said he'd fix it, only to take another full week. It's not perfect, but its actually a pretty decent install now. I'm satisfied for $300 labor just not very happy about the giant scratch all the way through the fresh coat of paint on the driver's rear quarter and the yellow glue that I keep finding everywhere in the interior. Oh yeah, and the staples all in the seats and carpet that I keep pulling out of my butt. 

My advice: If you have an SN95 with more money invested/ are peculiar about your car, it's worth the extra money to take it to a professional.

New pics will be up shortly!

Here's a few crappy phone pics of the new top, looks great! Getting a new glass was definitely worth the extra price over the cheap plastic windows. Still have to put the black trim molding back on. For a $300 installation I couldn't be happier. 

20161211_12485720161216_13140820161216_131320

Sorry not much has been going on, basically my father has been driving the crap out of this car and haven't been upgrading it too much. We got some of the trim back on around the new top and are planning to repaint all the interior panels.

**COUGHS LOUDLY** Turbo maybe in the near future, Dad's thinking about starting it as a new project as soon as we get some free time around here. School started back up for me (I go to something called Early College) and this semester is being a pain.