bthotrod

17x9 Backspacing Question

I've looked around and have yet to find an answer, so here's the stupid question.

Want a 17x9 wheel. Max backspacing they offer is 5 inches. I know how backspacing/offset works, I just want to know just how stupid 9 inchers would look with 5 inch backspacing instead of the "recommended" (by AM and LMR) 6 inch backspacing. If anyone has done this, has pics, or literally any advice, PLEASE HELP! If the answer is yes, I can fit these on a '98, I'll reveal what I'm getting. ;) 

5 inch backspacing would effectively push the wheel outward 1" toward the fender lip, away from the suspension. In the rear it would look just fine, as 9" is a bit narrow out back IMO. Up front, they might poke out a bit and look odd. I used to run 18x9.5" all around, same backspacing/offset front and rear, and the fronts poked out a little so I had to run spacers out back to make it look right. I'd say if you have the option to test fit a 5" backspacing wheel on the front, that would be your best bet. Last thing you would want is to spend a bunch of cash and have Mexipoke up front lol.

4 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

5 inch backspacing would effectively push the wheel outward 1" toward the fender lip, away from the suspension. In the rear it would look just fine, as 9" is a bit narrow out back IMO. Up front, they might poke out a bit and look odd. I used to run 18x9.5" all around, same backspacing/offset front and rear, and the fronts poked out a little so I had to run spacers out back to make it look right. I'd say if you have the option to test fit a 5" backspacing wheel on the front, that would be your best bet. Last thing you would want is to spend a bunch of cash and have Mexipoke up front lol.

I'd try one if I could find one, I guess I'll keep looking around.

42 minutes ago, Prokiller said:

rear it's fine.  front not so much.

The other option is 17x8 with 4.5 inch backspacing, leaving 3.5 inches coming out from the hub vs. 4. Any thoughts on that? (Still going to squeeze some big tires up there, might have some bulge but oh well.)