zzSIDEWINDERzz

Intake Manifold 2V

Hey guys,

Thanks for letting me join.  I am looking on some advice on Intake Manifolds.  I'm wondering whether or not it would be worth it for me to swap manifolds.  I figured this would be a good place to ask for advice.  I will list my main mods and then list all of them at the end.

I have a MMR Stroker (4.75) with the Boss 5.0 Block (Total 5.1L) in my 03 GT.  It has Stage 3 Ported Trick Flow heads, Stage 3 MMR cams.  I am limited to intake manifolds because of the Shaker system which has to mount in locations of that of a stock intake.  I have a Professional Products Typhoon intake manifold that has been Stage 3 ported and polished that would work but I became weary of installing it because of the bad rap it has.  I could also do the Victor Jr. but I don't want to loose low end power.  I'm currently running the stock PI intake and was told to leave it in unless you are making some crazy horsepower.  The car is N/A.  Any advice?  Would the horsepower gain be worth the swap?

Full Mod List:

ENGINE MODS

-  MMR Street Mod 750SE 4.75 Stroker 2V Fully Forged Longblock
-  Ford Racing BOSS Block increases displacement to 5.15L
-  ARP Head Studs
-  ARP Main Studs
-  ARP Balancer/Crankshaft Bolt
-  Trick Flow Twisted Wedge Cylinder Heads                                         (Stage 3 Ported and Polished by MMR)
-  MMR Stage 3 N/A Camshafts
-  Ford GT/GT500 Roller Rockers
-  BBK 78 mm Throttle Body & Plenum Combo
-  Stock Ford Racing PI Intake Manifold 
-  BBK Cold Air Intake

-  MMR Billet Oil Pump Gears

-  Aeromotive Fuel Rail System
-  24LB Ford Racing Fuel Injectors
-  SVT Focus Fuel Pump
-  Stainless Kooks Long Tube Headers with   Stainless Kooks Catless X-Pipe, Pypes Stainless Flow Tubes into Stainless Flowmaster (Super 10's - 1 chamber) into Stainless Walker Tailpipes.
-  Ford Racing High Volume Oil Pump
-  Edelbrock High Volume Water Pump
-  MSD Blaster Coil Packs
-  Brisk Silver Racing Spark Plugs
-  Mishimoto 68C Racing Thermostat
-  Fluidyne High Performance Radiator
-  March Performance Underdrive Pulleys 
-  Canton Street/Strip Oil Pan
-  MMR Billet Rear Main Seal Housing Cover/Block Support

Compression ratio is around 10.7 to 1

TRANSMISSION

-  SFI Approved 8 Bolt Flexplate
-  BUILT B&M Street/Strip 4R70W.  Rated @ 600HP
-  Derale Transmission Cooler
-  TCI Street Fighter 3000 Stall Torque Converter
-  B&M Deep Transmission Pan
-  Ford Racing Aluminum Driveshaft

BRAKES

Front:  Wilwood Superlite 6 Piston Calipers
-  12.88" Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Rear:  Wilwood 1 Piston Calipers 
-  12.88" Drilled and Slotted Rotors

DIFFERENTIAL

-  Ford Racing 4.10 Gears
-  Ford Racing Differential Girdle

SUSPENSION

Front:

UPR Tubular K-Member
UPR Tubular A-Arms
UPR Coilovers with Viking Springs
Strange 10 Struts
Steeda Caster/Camber Plates
Eibach Sway Bar
UPR Bumpsteers

Rear:

H&R Lowering Springs
Eibach Sway Bar

Thanks,

Dean

I guess ive never heard of PP intakes having a bad rap?  I did a quick google search and saw some stuff on LS motors with the ports not matching up.  Unless they have been known to just explode for some odd reason, i wouldn't see any reason not to run it.

PP is an entry level product imo.  I had their 75 mm tb and always had problems with hanging idle until I got the idle adjuster.  After I sold it the next person had the same issue.

With everything you have in that motor I can't help bu think that its going to help it breath better.

Thanks.  I think I will try to sell the PP and get the Edelbrock.  My only concern with an intake swap is of course the loss of low end but the only way to get the absolute most out of the motor at this point would be to swap the intake.  I ran out of time this year (winter showed up in Canada) to get it Dyno tuned.  It hasn't been retuned yet after all the work that was done.  Very curious to see how much HP it will make now.

I have a couple alternatives in mind to the Edelbrock. You could try to find a Bullitt intake, or get a Trickflow intake. Trickflow uses a similar design to the Bullitt but I don't know the finer details. Both should work very well on an NA engine without much loss of low end. Those would be my top choices for an NA 2V. I wouldn't go with the Edelbrock unless you plan to stay at 8k rpm.

Thanks for the advice.  The reason I have not gone with the Bullitt or the Trick Flow is  because of my Shaker system.  The Shaker scoop mounts to locations that only a stock intake provides.  With the Bullitt or Trick Flow there would be nowhere to mount the Shaker brackets.  

Dean

23 minutes ago, zzSIDEWINDERzz said:

Thanks for the advice.  The reason I have not gone with the Bullitt or the Trick Flow is  because of my Shaker system.  The Shaker scoop mounts to locations that only a stock intake provides.  With the Bullitt or Trick Flow there would be nowhere to mount the Shaker brackets.  

Dean

Oh, sorry. I forgot you mentioned that.

I basically have three options.  Leave the stock PI.  Install my Ported Professional Products Typoon (not sure if the increase would be worth it) or Get the Edelbrock which I think would work with the Shaker.  Just not sure if the gains of swapping my intake would be worth the loss of low end.