RedTwilight

I made a thing!

This year the GF and I decided our Xmas present to ourselves would be a new king size bed.  While searching online for a design we liked we finally settled on a platform style that had some cubby holes.  The headboard I changed from the original plans of a flat slab to one with a shelf and storage space (place for the cat to sleep).  I also mounted a power strip and a couple of round LED lights.  

The 8 spaces on the bottom sides I'm going to build some drawers instead of being open per the original plans.

I waited for a while for the GF to pic a stain for the platform.  But one day while perusing Ollies we found a nice color called driftwood.  I LOVE the way driftwood looks and this stain replicates it really close.

So now we have a new larger bed; but yet the dogs still have me sleeping right up along the edge!:rolleyes:

20161220_204226.jpg

The pups seem to like it a lot!

20161222_081554.jpg

11 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

I bet you can't wait to find one of those corners with your shin in the middle of the night!  I have permanent bruises on my knees from our bed.

Already have!  LOL  It's almost as if I'm walking around the back of my truck with the tow hitch sticking out.

Looks good!

Every time I get into bed, which is always second, in the dark... I have my arms out like curb feelers trying to make my way into bed... no better way to lay down to sleep than being pissed off and in pain lol.

35 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

Looks good!

Every time I get into bed, which is always second, in the dark... I have my arms out like curb feelers trying to make my way into bed... no better way to lay down to sleep than being pissed off and in pain lol.

That's one of the reasons I put lights in the headboard.  But I've learned to walk a little further out after the first couple of stumped toes!

I'm almost completely satisfied with it.  I had to cut all the wood with a circular saw as I don't have a table saw.  A table saw would have been so much nicer cutting all those 4'x8' sheets of plywood to size.

Nicely done!  I just bought a king sized bed last thanksgiving and I love it.  Definitely don't have the sweet ass bed frame and headboard though.  Nicely done!  Inspiration to make my own now. 

1 hour ago, SublimeRT said:

Looks really nice man.  My wife and I upgraded to a king size this past summer, but with a little cheap steel bed frame.  I gotta make something nice like that someday.  

With your fab skills I'd expect we will see a mini version of your chassis table or similar as a bed frame lol

Edited by Lanter

On 12/29/2016 at 9:32 AM, RedTwilight said:

This year the GF and I decided our Xmas present to ourselves would be a new king size bed.  While searching online for a design we liked we finally settled on a platform style that had some cubby holes.  The headboard I changed from the original plans of a flat slab to one with a shelf and storage space (place for the cat to sleep).  I also mounted a power strip and a couple of round LED lights.  

The 8 spaces on the bottom sides I'm going to build some drawers instead of being open per the original plans.

I waited for a while for the GF to pic a stain for the platform.  But one day while perusing Ollies we found a nice color called driftwood.  I LOVE the way driftwood looks and this stain replicates it really close.

So now we have a new larger bed; but yet the dogs still have me sleeping right up along the edge!:rolleyes:

20161220_204226.jpg

The pups seem to like it a lot!

20161222_081554.jpg

My wife and I just ordered a king size mattress.  We were just talking about doing something like this last night.  Where did you find the different designs?

11 hours ago, Lanter said:

With your fab skills I'd expect we will see a mini version of your chassis table or similar as a bed frame lol

9 hours ago, RideTech_Ryan said:

With the paint splatter effect!

Haha I'm liking these ideas guys!  Convincing the wife might take some work though.   

On 1/6/2017 at 4:47 PM, RideTech_Ryan said:

My wife and I just ordered a king size mattress.  We were just talking about doing something like this last night.  Where did you find the different designs?

I actually found the plans on Lowes.com, but I designed the head board myself.  The nice thing was they had a full materials list and a layout of how the pieces should be cut out. 

8 hours ago, RedTwilight said:

I actually found the plans on Lowes.com, but I designed the head board myself.  The nice thing was they had a full materials list and a layout of how the pieces should be cut out. 

IM GOING TO CHECK THAT OUT THANKS!