95whitegt

Trans swap question.

Back to this 97 auto. Swapped out of a parts car. Its been doing good for the most part until today. The overdrive button stopped working and it only wants to go to 2k rpm and not shift. More info, pats has been bypassed, gas sat in car for 8 months not running. Idle has been rough since getting it back together but I chalked that up to the old gas. The od button came out of where the previous owners transferred it to so that may be a loose connection. Would that cause the trans not to shift? I really have no iidea about autos so any and all help is appreciated. 

On 3/21/2017 at 6:03 PM, 95whitegt said:

Back to this 97 auto. Swapped out of a parts car. Its been doing good for the most part until today. The overdrive button stopped working and it only wants to go to 2k rpm and not shift. More info, pats has been bypassed, gas sat in car for 8 months not running. Idle has been rough since getting it back together but I chalked that up to the old gas. The od button came out of where the previous owners transferred it to so that may be a loose connection. Would that cause the trans not to shift? I really have no iidea about autos so any and all help is appreciated. 

Your trans is in limp mode. Pull the codes or continue to drive and destroy your trans. Chances are you have a short to ground in the harness. Many times caused by the harness getting burnt up by the exhaust.

We pulled the codes yesterday and found o2 has a bad bank #2 and also a fault on the electrical.  We have a spare trans harness from the parts car. It seems to have cleared up at the moment but we are going to put it in the air and look it over for sure. If need be swap the harness out. The fault was in the o2 system not the trans but its all the same harness.

1 hour ago, 95whitegt said:

We pulled the codes yesterday and found o2 has a bad bank #2 and also a fault on the electrical.  We have a spare trans harness from the parts car. It seems to have cleared up at the moment but we are going to put it in the air and look it over for sure. If need be swap the harness out. The fault was in the o2 system not the trans but its all the same harness.

Yup. Gonna have to either repair the existing harness or replace. Ive seen this problem a million times over.

We got the car up and found the drivers side front o2 unplugged and the pass side o2 had a broken wire. Repaired that and guessing I missed the other plug when we put it back together.  Looked over the harness and didn't see any other damage. Sat it down took it for a shakedown and after a few it did It again. Guess I'm going to swap the harness but also going to delete the cats. I think they may be clogged up and blocking the exhaust once warmed up. Before I do anything I'm going to pull the codes again.

Swapped out the harness and found a really bad spot on the old one right at a connector for the trans. Also put a new fuel filter on while it was up. So far doesn't seem to be having any issues but only time will tell ay this point. 

Well that didn't last long. Car has ran and driven great up until we did a few dig pulls. Right back to problems. We chalked it up to bad gas making everything go bad so replaced yhe regulator and it got better.  Checked a few other things and didn't change. K took it for a test ride and it dis good in first when it tried to change into 2nd it hesitated and wouldn't change. Foot to floor did good until around 4k then cut back foot to floor and right back in damn near to red line. Still wouldn't grab 2nd. But damn its quick until it fucks up.

Its back to shifting but is running extremely rich. Sounds like its cammed or dieseling, smoking,  and no power. I've checked everything that we have touched since parked and the only thing I haven't done is bolt the harness back. Is the places that look like it bolts to the car a ground point for the harness? The only other thing I can think of is the pats being deleted with an sct chip maybe messing with the computer. 

After going over and over anything we touched, I thought maybe the sct chip we had installed and programmed to bypass the pats was the problem. Started messing with the computer and it ran right. Bumped it while running went to crap. Removed the chip being I found the original key thank god, put it in the column for now, damn thing runs like it never broke in the first place.  Going to get chipped keys cut to match our new ignition and married to the car next.