iLoveScreamers

Moving to the UK? You will need a light conversion

Hey guys,

For those who don't know there are many different lighting requirements here in the UK. "Repeaters on the wings" aka Blinkers on the fenders are one of those requirements. This is my attempt to keep the car looking fairly OEM while meeting the lighting requirements. I think it's better than drilling a hole in the fender or having some cheesy stick on light.

Just putting this info out there so people know there is another option for light conversions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23n4SL62evc

1964779_10201625565789575_712240819_n.jp

1796661_10201625566389590_120886068_n.jp

There is a hole behind all emblems on SN95's and its about 1/2 inch in diameter. I mounted the LED behind that hole and had it shine through to a plexiglass cobra emblem cutout mounted under the actual emblem.
The LED is a "Luxdrive Endor Star" and puts out around 200 lumens at 700mA. The LED driver is also Luxdrive.

1489194_10201659780324917_857356450_n.jp

1234799_10201659780484921_2095877767_n.j

The bracket is just some scrap sheet metal I got a hold of and bent with some pliers. This part of the design could be done much better if it was made of aluminum. Aluminum is a better heat sink than sheet metal and the LED needs something because it gets hot, really hot. If I had to guess I would say 150-180 degrees F after it's been on constantly for about 2-3 minutes. I decided that the sheet metal would work because in operation on the vehicle it will never be constantly on, only flashing. Usually it wont even flash for very long either.

1970690_10201659781724952_1866061109_n.j

1958307_10201659846086561_1785435003_n.j

In regards to rear fogs:

Ford decided not to utilize the inner most lamps to perform brake light functions and only tail light functions on SN95's 1994-2004. A common mod I would do in the states is to add a wire to this lamp so that the 'high' filament would be utilized along with the other two elements in the tail light. More light to show other drivers you are braking is never a bad thing lol.

Now that I'm here in the UK and require a rear fog, I already know how to go about it. The socket the bulb is installed in is ready to accept an extra pin. You can source the pin from a spare harness. In the case of the Cobra I was installing some super bright LED reverse lights and due to space constraints of the bulb I had to hard wire it into the harness. This earned me 4 extra pins total(I have an extra 2 if someone needs them). Cut a slit in the blue rubber and insert the pin into the socket. I ran a yellow wire along the harness and through the rubber grommet leading into the trunk. Add a little plug so you can get the harness out in the future and viola!

I picked up the switch from an online retailer, its called an Anti-Vandal switch. I also used the laser etcher at work to engrave the fog light icon. I think it came out good!

PICS!

Here you can see the 3rd wire added in.
photo24-1.jpg

Yellow is the rear fog wire and the green is for my 99/01 turn signals.
photo42.jpg

Switch in the off position
photo16.jpg

Switch in the on position with LED indication
photo25.jpg

Finished product from behind the car
photo35.jpg

Boom! UK legal!

1 hour ago, ttocs said:

looks really good with the exception of the connectors you used outside.  Not being waterproof, they will start to rust when they get wet and eventually fail

Are you you referring to the fender blinker or rear fog? All the rear fog wiring is inside the car and that is where I use butt connectors. All of the wiring behind the fender for the turn signal mod are soldered and heat shrunken. 

36 minutes ago, 95riosnake said:

I really like the turn signal fender emblems. Honestly that would even be a cool addition on a US mustang. I always liked the fender blinkers on VW's.

Thanks! I've heard that a lot, actually lol.