TTSALEEN

TTSaleen's project car thread

So I've been in the mustang game since the mid 1990's.  Back in the late 1980's to early 1990's I was a Camaro guy and spent quite a bit of money on going fast.  I had a few camaros including 1969, 1976, 1980, 1985 Iroc, and 1986 Z28.  I bought a 1989 LX coupe and never looked back!  Took that car to a 10 second 1/4 mile with a 347 stroker and nitrous rowing a 5 speed back in 1996 and driving it to the track.  Later on it became a race car and I took it too far and lost interest, sadly selling it right before I got married in 2000.

I then went thru quite a few project cars over the years including the famous TTSALEEN that was a twin 67 turbo 5.4 engine that made 1,200 rwhp.  I had that car for 12 years and loved it.  Got in a few magazine articles with it and won a few dyno competitions.  Unfortunately it sat in the garage alot and a guy offered me a good amount of cash for it, so I sold it.

Since then I've had a 2002 Saleen twin turbo, 1998 Cobra, 1995 GT, 1994 GT, 1993 Reef Blue coupe, 2006 GT, 2008 GT500, and a 2003 Red Mach 1 with and Eaton swap.

My current fleet includes a 2003 10th anniversary Terminator, 2003 Mach 1, and a 2008 Pontiac G8 GT.

2003 Cobra

Stock engine

VMP 2.3 TVS with GT500 t/b upgrade

Metco 2# lower pulley

American Racing Headers and 3" x-pipe

80# injectors

Lethal Performance return fuel system with twin 465 pumps on E85

Magnaflow magnapack catback

McLeod RST clutch

Spec aluminum flywheel

MGW Shifter

Full Tilt Boogie Racing IRS suspension upgrade

3.73 gears

LFP rear differential cover

AFS 18" wheels

Toyo T1 front tires and TQ rear tires

725rwhp on 21# boost

IMG_2414_zpsglyliv4g.jpg

IMG_8551_zpsqpdokzyd.jpg

This is one of my favorite cars to date.  I plan to keep this car a long time.  I absolutely love the TVS supercharger on this thing!  Makes so much torque!

2003 Mach 1

Terminator engine and T56 swap (50k miles take-out)

2.6 Kennebell supercharger

80# injectors

Lethal Performance return fuel system with twin 465 pumps on E85

MAC offroad prochamber to stock manifolds

Magnaflow catback

Spec Stage 2 clutch

Spec aluminum flywheel

MGW Shifter

Steeda double adjustable upper control arms

Maximum motorsports lower control arms

3.73 gears

AFS 18" wheels

Toyo T1 front tires and R888 rear tires

625rwhp on 19# boost

Mach%20on%20super%20sports_zpsjpwl843q.j

Mach%20KB%203_zpsxacdnan5.jpg

I love the looks of the Mach 1.  I missed my red one after selling it so I was on the lookout for another.  When I found this Azure Blue one in Delaware, I immediately drove the 14 hour round trip to own it!  This car is my daily driver and is probably the most fun car I've had that serves this purpose!

2008 Pontiac G8

L76 engine

Rotofab cold air

LS7 mass air meter

ported stock throttle body

SLP underdrive crank pulley

ported and modified stock intake

ported, polished, shaved, flowed stock heads

Upgraded valves, valve springs, retainers, and locks

Removed disable-on-demand (DOD) and replaced lifters and pushrods

Little Lunati camshaft

OBX long tube headers and 3" x-pipe

Hooker Maxflow mufflers

3.45 differential

Built and tuned by Rick Crawford Racing

Runs 11.50's @ 120mph all motor in 1/4 on drag radials.

G8%20Saturday_zpsliqv4jk4.jpg

G8%20LS7%20meter_zpsqows4jyc.png

This is the family car.  My wife took over this project since I sold her GT500.  This car is fast, easily hauls the family comfortably on long vacation trips, and can daily drive fine with over 23mpg on the highway.  Such a fun car, and a shame that GM killed off the Pontiac line with the success they had in producing such a fine car (even if it was imported from Holden in Australia).

Ryan

I've always really liked the G8's.  Years ago I was angling to get one as a daily driver but dealers were wanting just more than I was wanting to spend at the time.  Seems like they hold their value well on the used market still, too.

1 hour ago, RedTwilight said:

Where are the Bogarts and are they on the car yet?

IMG_2622_zpsvthbyw5m.jpg

Currently the fronts are still being made by Bogart.  The rears took over 6 weeks to be built and for some reason, the front were not being done at the same time.  I had wanted to get them on and attend Draggin' Rights, but that didn't happen. 

26 minutes ago, TTSALEEN said:

IMG_2622_zpsvthbyw5m.jpg

Currently the fronts are still being made by Bogart.  The rears took over 6 weeks to be built and for some reason, the front were not being done at the same time.  I had wanted to get them on and attend Draggin' Rights, but that didn't happen. 

You didn't miss much.  Attendance was really low.  The most exciting thing that happened was when the Vette went into the wall.  

Few updates -

Finally found the time to do some upgrades to the Mach 1.

Installed the Metco 4# lower pulley setup.  Added the 3.2 alternator pulley.  Installed the powder-coated valve covers and added some different bolts for a better look.  Installed the 80# injectors and got Caleb @ Fastlane to write me a new tune file to get it running till I can get back on the dyno.

So far this thing runs great!  The Kennebell screams now and the torque is much improved! 

I have the Kooks long tube headers and 3" X-pipe to install and then final dyno tune.  Hoping for 650-675rwhp.

Also got my 17" Bogart RT wheels in.  Test fitted them and they look great.  Fit like a glove!

IMG_2969_zpsgbs6dw52.jpg

IMG_2970_zpsde6bf3tk.jpg

IMG_2999_zpsjdrxqaf9.jpg

IMG_3012_zpsfiq8rz5n.jpg

3 hours ago, TTSALEEN said:

Few updates -

Finally found the time to do some upgrades to the Mach 1.

Installed the Metco 4# lower pulley setup.  Added the 3.2 alternator pulley.  Installed the powder-coated valve covers and added some different bolts for a better look.  Installed the 80# injectors and got Caleb @ Fastlane to write me a new tune file to get it running till I can get back on the dyno.

So far this thing runs great!  The Kennebell screams now and the torque is much improved! 

I have the Kooks long tube headers and 3" X-pipe to install and then final dyno tune.  Hoping for 650-675rwhp.

Also got my 17" Bogart RT wheels in.  Test fitted them and they look great.  Fit like a glove!

I can't stop drooling over the Bogarts!!!   lol.   Everything looks fantastic as always!

Edited by Lanter

Just realized it has been along time since I updated this thread.
So in the last few months here's the quick update -

Got the racing bug again.
Installed Hoosier 28-10 slicks onto my Bogart rear wheels.
Installed M&H front runners onto my 17" Bogart front wheels.

Went to Fayetteville Dragstrip on 11/12/2017 and ran 1st pass ever on drag setup.
During burnout alternator quit, dash gauges did a full sweep, but car still running....so of course I staged it and made the pass.  LOL
4K launch and small bog outta the hole.  1.68 sixty foot time.
Ran 7.0 @ 99mph in the 1/8th and a 10.70 @ 136 in the 1/4.
Drove back to pits and battery gauge at 11.8 volts.
No more runs.

11/19/2017 - Back to Fayetteville with a fixed alternator (broken internal solder joint that Johnny's Electric fixed under warranty - 200amp upgrade).
Did a burnout and staged.
4k launch and BOOM, driver side 1/2 shaft decided it had enough. 

So car is now down for a minute till I fix it.  Going for a mid to low 10 second pass before end of the year.
Car is super fun to drive and banging the gears is always exciting.

Stay tuned as I decided if I stick with the IRS and spend almost $2K for upgraded 1/2 shafts or if I go with the proven solid-axle swap.

IMG_0330_zpsshdofieb.jpg

IMG_3815_zpsfxxs9ged.jpg

Congrats on the times.  I know there is more in it.  

It would be cool to keep running the IRS for the drag setup.  But if you ultimately decide to really race it, then a straight axle may be the way to go.  I'd be surprised it Melvin and Caleb didn't have enough spare and used parts to build a decent straight axle laying for a cheap price.   

• Like 1

I am torn between taking the rear outta the Mach 1 and beefing it up, then dropping it into the Cobra.

And then putting the IRS under the Mach 1 as my daily.  I figured a terminator-swapped Mach 1 with an IRS would be kinda cool.

Anyway, here's a video if you are interested.  :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TTSALEEN said:

I am torn between taking the rear outta the Mach 1 and beefing it up, then dropping it into the Cobra.

And then putting the IRS under the Mach 1 as my daily.  I figured a terminator-swapped Mach 1 with an IRS would be kinda cool.

Anyway, here's a video if you are interested.  :D

NOW THAT!...  Sounds like an awesome idea!

Better ride for the daily and better rear for the drags.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lanter said:

Was the IRS stock?  Surprised to see it spit an axle on those tires.

Complete Full-tilt boogie upgrade and stock 1/2 shafts.

Leaving at 4,500rpm and a well-prepped track equaled dead-hook and "pop".

So this happened yesterday.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
IMG_3836_zpsmbtkngbc.jpg

IMG_3837_zpsvfqhynma.jpg

IMG_3838_zpsvieav62m.jpg

Decided to put the Full-Tilt Boogie IRS into the Mach1.  Dragged the Mach1 rear out and going to take it apart and build it up to handle some drag-strip action in the Cobra including 33 spline axles, C-clip eliminators, etc.

• Like 3

Some awesome cars you have/have had.  I have had a Mach 1 and a Terminator, and I think about getting back into one or the other sometimes.  I gotta say it's a very hard decision!  So you are doing it right by having one of each!  I think you are making the right choice for your situation though, with the rear end swap.  Makes better sense for both cars.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, TTSALEEN said:

So this happened yesterday.

If you're gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly.
IMG_3836_zpsmbtkngbc.jpg

IMG_3837_zpsvfqhynma.jpg

IMG_3838_zpsvieav62m.jpg

Decided to put the Full-Tilt Boogie IRS into the Mach1.  Dragged the Mach1 rear out and going to take it apart and build it up to handle some drag-strip action in the Cobra including 33 spline axles, C-clip eliminators, etc.

I LIKE IT!:bananen_smilies011: :bananalama:

So now you have a Termi swapped Mach 1 and a Termi/ Mach 1 hybrid.  LOL;)

• Like 1

The good news is the Mach1 is back on the road. I drove it last night, but sadly it was sleeting so only very MILD cruising down the road.
Alignment is way off due to all new bumpster arms (FTBR) and Camber bolts so I have an appointment setup for 8AM tomorrow to get that fixed.

I put the Cobra's Magnapack catback exhaust onto the Mach so it clears the IRS.....wowza does the Mach1 sound good now!!!!!! LOL!!!
Hope to drive it tomorrow after alignment and snap some pics/video.

Changes made -
Removed H&R super sport lowering springs from Mach1 and installed H&R race springs from Cobra onto it.
Removed Tokico blue shocks and installed the original Cobra Bilstein shocks.
Removed solid 8.8 rear and installed IRS that has the Full Tilt Boogie Racing bushing & bolt upgrades along with their bumpsteer arms/rods.
Removed Maganaflow standard exhaust for solid rear and replaced with Magnaflow Magnapack exhaust for IRS rear.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ThomasW said:

Does that reae bumpsteer kit make a difference on the IRS?  

I'm sure it does, especially if the car is lowered. I'd assume the same way a bumpsteer kit helps the front end of majorly lowered cars to keep the car tracking straight while the suspension compresses, it helps the rear to keep the rear toe spot on.

28 minutes ago, Det_Riot said:

I'm sure it does, especially if the car is lowered. I'd assume the same way a bumpsteer kit helps the front end of majorly lowered cars to keep the car tracking straight while the suspension compresses, it helps the rear to keep the rear toe spot on.

In theory i agree, but ive had two different IRS’ in two different cars that were lowered around 2” and have never felt any issues with either of those cars.  

• Moderators
On 12/8/2017 at 9:34 AM, ThomasW said:

In theory i agree, but ive had two different IRS’ in two different cars that were lowered around 2” and have never felt any issues with either of those cars.  

Honestly, the theory is strong but I really think it’s more so about getting rid of the stock tie rod end and getting a better joint on there. The toe link rods themselves are typically larger too. (I only say this because it’s what I’ve experienced also)

13 minutes ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Honestly, the theory is strong but I really think it’s more so about getting rid of the stock tie rod end and getting a better joint on there. The toe link rods themselves are typically larger too. (I only say this because it’s what I’ve experienced also)

Gotcha!  Mine (supposedly) has the MM tierod end, but i cant remember if i ever actually looked to see if that was true or not. Lol

My stock bumpsteer/toe link arms were well worn/rusted and looked slightly bent.

The new ones from FTBR are larger/BEEFY! and fit great.  My alignment guy really liked them.

The Mach1 handles really good with the IRS and I have enjoyed driving the last few days (even in the rain).

Plus the Magnapacks sound really good.............that reflection of them under the car tho!

IMG_1053_zpsx1ne2uj2.jpg

I also took my solid 8.8 and started disassembling it and dropped it off at Fastlane Motorsports for them to start the build.

IMG_1057_zpsbghyulny.jpg

Edited by TTSALEEN
  • Like 1

Picked this bad boy up Saturday.

Had it installed that afternoon and test drove it in the freezing temps (check out my instagram for the vid).

Big thanks to Fastlane Motorsports! 

Highlights -

9" Ends - small bearing from Moser with ability to use factory brake brackets (P/N 7700)

Moser 33 spline race axles

Eaton Trutrac 33 spline differential - (P/N 913A701)

Moroso 3" wheel studs (P/N 46180)

UPR spherical extreme duty upper bushings with larger 1/2" bolts (P/N 2003-88-R)

Ford Racing Rear Differential Cover (P/N M-4033-G2)

Welded axle tubes and custom brace.

Also reused my 3.73 gears and installed new bearings/seals.

88rear_zpsllj2uuww.jpg

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, TTSALEEN said:

Picked this bad boy up Saturday.

Had it installed that afternoon and test drove it in the freezing temps (check out my instagram for the vid).

Big thanks to Fastlane Motorsports! 

Highlights -

9" Ends - small bearing from Moser with ability to use factory brake brackets (P/N 7700)

Moser 33 spline race axles

Eaton Trutrac 33 spline differential - (P/N 913A701)

Moroso 3" wheel studs (P/N 46180)

UPR spherical extreme duty upper bushings with larger 1/2" bolts (P/N 2003-88-R)

Ford Racing Rear Differential Cover (P/N M-4033-G2)

Welded axle tubes and custom brace.

Also reused my 3.73 gears and installed new bearings/seals.

88rear_zpsllj2uuww.jpg

You should be good to go now!  Don't see that breaking quite so easily.

• Like 1

It's been a long time since I updated this thread as my TTSaleen thread has been the one most active in the last year.

I took my 2003 Cobra to the track this past weekend after a 2 year absence and with the parts changes including the solid 8.8 rear conversion.

• Like 2