RassCar

Possible old/bad fuel issues

My 99 Cobra has had some amount of fuel in it since I bought it. I have no real idea of how old the fuel is, maybe 2-3 years. It does smell more like varnish than gasoline. My plan to remove it is pretty minimal, but I think I might get by with it. Once I have the engine in the car, with all grounds hooked up and a good battery, I just plan to leave fuel lines disconnected and turn the key on to pump out all of whatever is left in the tank. Then, change the fuel filter, fill the tank with fuel system cleaner and good gas, and start the car after reconnecting the fuel lines. Thoughts, advice, opinions?

sounds like a good plan to me.  i'd run a bit of the new fuel and cleaner through the line before hooking it up again.  

1 hour ago, Prokiller said:

sounds like a good plan to me.  i'd run a bit of the new fuel and cleaner through the line before hooking it up again.  

Good thought, don't know why that didn't occur to me when I made the post.

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 11:10 AM, Blackmage said:

would it be beneficial to drop the tank and check the pump assemblies and stuff for any type of build up on the pickup?  

It would, but I want to avoid that if I can. Partly because I think it'll probably be fine, and partly because I just don't wanna:unsure:. If I'd quit dragging ass I'd already be at this point. I need to just get to it. The engine is ready to rock, it's just chilling on the stand.