Caboose302

random misfire

Ok so now that my 96 is back up and running I was driving it around the past couple days and it ran absolutely fine. Then the random misfire I had last year popped back up. Last year before it sat for 9 months, it would have a random misfire on cylinders 7 & 8. I replaced all the quick ones... NGK Plugs, FRPP wires, I had a spare coil I threw on to see and NOTHING had helped.

Fast forward to last week when I start the car up and it runs perfect. Not even a hiccup in the idle. Three days later it starts misfiring horribly. My buddy asked if I had tested the injectors, and while I had checked to make sure they're firing, I cant really do a flow test on them.

Could it be the injectors had gotten a piece of debris that dislodged after it sat and then plugged up the hole again after it ran for a while? If so has anyone had any experience with having their injectors sent out and cleaned? I'd rather not spend $300 on new ones.

• Moderators

Have you ohmed the injectors and made sure they were in spec? I would swap injectors 7&8 up to 1&2 and see if the misfire follows. Also, make sure your wires are contacting the spark plug completely. My car had a bad miss when I got it and come to find out the previous owner swapped spark plugs out and the rubber boot from his plug socket got stuck on my #3 plug.

3 hours ago, Dkblue98gt said:

A few of us on another forum just had a similar issue. It turned out to be the FRPP plug wires... In 2 cases, mine included the wires were brand new. Worth considering.

It started with the MSD Supers I had on it before. That's why I replaced them. I swapped a couple wires and it didn't make a difference. I wish it was that easy lol. 

1 hour ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Have you ohmed the injectors and made sure they were in spec? I would swap injectors 7&8 up to 1&2 and see if the misfire follows. Also, make sure your wires are contacting the spark plug completely. My car had a bad miss when I got it and come to find out the previous owner swapped spark plugs out and the rubber boot from his plug socket got stuck on my #3 plug.

Well I'm a little embarrassed I hadn't thought I'd that. I'll swap them around and see if that makes a difference. Would different injectors have different Ohm readings (ie 30# vs 19#) ?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Caboose302 said:

It started with the MSD Supers I had on it before. That's why I replaced them. I swapped a couple wires and it didn't make a difference. I wish it was that easy lol. 

Well I'm a little embarrassed I hadn't thought I'd that. I'll swap them around and see if that makes a difference. Would different injectors have different Ohm readings (ie 30# vs 19#) ?

The impedance will be the same between the injectors. Ours are high impedance and I think they are something around 14 ohms.

I have a set of FRPP plug wires and found the sparkplug boot length to terminal strap to be various lengths. Cutting some of the boot end was the fix.The long boot acted like a spring pushing the terminal off. I found it by constantly checking plug wire was seated correctly. A few of them kept popping off ever so slightly.  Disappointed with how crappy this was, I decided to ditch them in favor of autozone wires.

Take a sparkplug and shove it in each boot to gauge how much boot actually is needed.

I kind of went through the same scenario back 10yrs ago. My problem wasn't like Caboose302...well similar. Mine actually turn out to be moisture down in the plug holes from a weepy water hose. I kept rechecking plug wires were seated and noticed 3 kept coming up. Id push them down and feel the snap like full engage and they wouldn't pop off then, but after driving around rechecking id feel the snap. Gremmlins!

2 hours ago, 96blackgt54 said:

I have a set of FRPP plug wires and found the sparkplug boot length to terminal strap to be various lengths. Cutting some of the boot end was the fix.The long boot acted like a spring pushing the terminal off. I found it by constantly checking plug wire was seated correctly. A few of them kept popping off ever so slightly.  Disappointed with how crappy this was, I decided to ditch them in favor of autozone wires.

Take a sparkplug and shove it in each boot to gauge how much boot actually is needed.

I'll double check that. I may just spend the extra coin and get the MSDs again. Thanks! 

• Moderators
On 7/13/2017 at 9:50 PM, Caboose302 said:

I'll double check that. I may just spend the extra coin and get the MSDs again. Thanks! 

Well, did you ever make any headway on this thing?

6 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Well, did you ever make any headway on this thing?

Lol... Weeeellll. I started thinking "if it IS debris in the injector maybe I need to replace the filter". Turns out someone before me took out the fuel filter completely. There's just a section of fuel line ran where it's supposed to be. I have it at a shop for an estimate to replace that line with a factory style. So I'm almost certain there's junk in the injectors. 

Also I did do the resistance check on the injectors. 6 of them were 14.3-14.5. I had 2 that were 15.8 and 16.0 so they're shot but I have 2 extra ones I can possible throw in there. I'm going to have them cleaned and refurbished just to be safe. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Caboose302 said:

Lol... Weeeellll. I started thinking "if it IS debris in the injector maybe I need to replace the filter". Turns out someone before me took out the fuel filter completely. There's just a section of fuel line ran where it's supposed to be. I have it at a shop for an estimate to replace that line with a factory style. So I'm almost certain there's junk in the injectors. 

Also I did do the resistance check on the injectors. 6 of them were 14.3-14.5. I had 2 that were 15.8 and 16.0 so they're shot but I have 2 extra ones I can possible throw in there. I'm going to have them cleaned and refurbished just to be safe. 

Well, its unfortunate to find out this way but at least you are making progress. Im glad to hear that its getting sorted out.

1 hour ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Well, its unfortunate to find out this way but at least you are making progress. Im glad to hear that its getting sorted out.

Thanks for the help. I'll update when I find more out. 

Picked the car up a couple days ago. They still have to order a new fuel line in to be able to reinstall the filter. It's not that expensive so it's not a big deal. Turned out the fuel line they used to bypass the filter wasn't even fuel line. Just regular rubber hose so it was starting to deteriorate and clog the injectors. Put some fuel line in temporarily and cleaned the I Hector out and she's running MUCH better. Still a little hesitation at idle but off idle runs much better. I forgot how quick this car used to be lol. 

14 minutes ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Awesome. Im glad its getting figured out. Are you still getting a misfire code or is everything working better now that it has decent fuel going to it?

So far,  so good. I've been driving it since Friday around town and I haven't had it come on yet. Hopefully it stays that way. I still may send the injectors out to get flow tested just for my own peace of mind.