LWARRIOR1016

Roadrunner torque converters

• Moderators

Ok so I just finished up my teksid 4.6/4r70w build. I put it all together with a converter that was ordered through transtar. It was a custom built unit that was supposed to stall at 3500rpm.....well, it doesnt. I might see 2200 rpm and its unbalanced as can be. So Ive been searching for torque converters. I know all the big name companies, but I came across Roadrunner converters in Arizona. They seem to have a pretty big name and put a lot of videos out on the web so people can see their facility. I couldnt find many reviews from a performance aspect so here we are, Im trying one. I just ordered a 10" converter 3600 rpm stall. Should have it here next week. I will be sure to let everyone know how it works out.

28 minutes ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

I used 3 pedals and it didnt work out too well for me....

36335584675_4c1f54d31f_o.jpg

I had that happen on a CenterForce clutch once.  Also a demolished 3rd gear in the T-45 another time. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, D3vst8r96gt said:

I have one and so does my buddy. Can't go wrong, great customer service too. Answered all my questions. Grew up down the road never knew they were right there the whole time.

Youve got their converter? Thats awesome, real world experience. What do you have it in and what kind of stall is it?

Sorry about playing 20 questions, it just seems like everyone is scared to run them and keeps saying, "you get what you pay for" or "I would just go with a bigger name company". Not many people have anything to say in general about them.

• Moderators
20 hours ago, RedTwilight said:

I had that happen on a CenterForce clutch once.  Also a demolished 3rd gear in the T-45 another time. 

My trans held up great, this clutch just wasnt up to the task. I replaced this one with a 6 puck clutch that didnt have any dampers and it would have help up but I blew the engine up a week or so later.

23 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Youve got their converter? Thats awesome, real world experience. What do you have it in and what kind of stall is it?

Sorry about playing 20 questions, it just seems like everyone is scared to run them and keeps saying, "you get what you pay for" or "I would just go with a bigger name company". Not many people have anything to say in general about them.

Get a transcooler, I changed my shift points and lock up to keep temps down but it is added insurance.

Its a 4300 stall and its just a stock pi motor (not the greatest set up) its suppose to have a built 3v infront of it but that project was halted when my brother blew my motor in the '96. But I think I have killed my tranny as it slips when cold now after a few a years of daily driving it. Probably not a reflection of the converter, Its a huge stall with stock gears lol

Illl ask my buddy he has a more normal stall. He daily drove his and made lots of pass as far as I know no issues.

• Like 1

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, D3vst8r96gt said:

Get a transcooler, I changed my shift points and lock up to keep temps down but it is added insurance.

Its a 4300 stall and its just a stock pi motor (not the greatest set up) its suppose to have a built 3v infront of it but that project was halted when my brother blew my motor in the '96. But I think I have killed my tranny as it slips when cold now after a few a years of daily driving it. Probably not a reflection of the converter, Its a huge stall with stock gears lol

Illl ask my buddy he has a more normal stall. He daily drove his and made lots of pass as far as I know no issues.

Awesome. Ive got a trans cooler with a fan on it and have the transmission wired and shifting controlled by a microsquirt stand alone. Also have 4.10 gears and a not so stock 2v. The 3600 I ordered should do alright.

I really appreciate the feedback as I was a little nervous about the torque converter to start with. Mine should be here today (along with the 4000 stall PATC converter I accidentally bought). Im going to run the roadrunner converter first and see what its about. 

With your 4300 stall, how much are you getting out of it, and how does it drive on the street? Is it real loose feeling or is it kind of tight until you flash it?

• Moderators

Got my converters today. This is the one from roadrunner. 10", 3600 stall. So far I'm pretty pleased with all of it. I should be able to get it installed next week. 

35566078763_5e112c3118_b.jpg

35977513940_0773bbaf66_b.jpg

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, droptoppony said:

Never heard of them but that doesn't mean they aren't good. 

I picked up a modified Marauder TC with billet cover from Dirty Dog before he closed up. 

Whats the diameter of that marauder converter? 

I wanted to get something that was small (10" or smaller) so it could be stalled high and still keep some efficiency. 

• Moderators

So I took it for a drive yesterday. Immediately I can tell the difference, I mean as soon as I started the car there was a difference. When I did the auto swap, I had to increase IAC duty cycle on startup because of it spinning the torque converter. This one, when I start it, the revs go up too high. I have to lower the IAC back down. Then going in gear, it doesnt slam like it did before. Driving around yesterday I was able to get it to flash 3200 before the tires broke loose. Im on my street tires so its to be expected. Im really thinking that It will flash somewhere between 3400-3600 when I hit it on the sticky tires.

Overall, the car is more responsive to throttle input and so far the converter is doing what its supposed to. This is definitely an alternative if you dont have $800+ to drop right off the bat. Im going to run this for a while and see how it does.

• Like 1

• Moderators
11 minutes ago, Blackmage said:

glad to hear that worked out well for ya.  did you pick up any time at the track with it?

Havent tried it yet, and probably wont get to for a little while. I am dead smack in the middle of doing paint work on it and I havent even tried to work out full throttle shift points or pressures yet. After I do paint, Ill get back to working on the tune. I may not run it until spring.

• Like 1