ThomasW

ThomasW's Two into One build

40 minutes ago, RedTwilight said:

That spoiler is looking good.  So I guess that means you'll be keeping the spoiler in CF instead of paint.

Can't wait to see the whole car in paint.

Possibly!

i might do the backside (minus the center piece) or top in  body color still.   I’ll figure it out once i get the entire thing done and painted. 

Vacation has BEGUN!  Woooooo

All of the paint supplies have arrived and been sourced.

An aluminum overflow bottle has arrived as well, but im unsure of where to put it or if i even want to use if.

option 1- is to plumb it like a stock modmotor degas bottle setup where the Rad cap overflow hose feeds back to the top of the radiator.

option 2- hang it off the front of the motor infront of the passenger idler pulley. This will be in the way of the turbo’s eventually.

option 3- hung off the core support behind the passenger head light.  Conflict free, barring AC plumbing routing. 

option4- laid horizontally between the core support and headlight header panel. Potential intercooler space conflict.

option 5- positioned vertically in the same area as option 4.  Definitely intercooler space conflict. 

So far im thinking option #1  or 3.  With #3 being my least favorite. 

0327120D-08FD-4032-A0B2-E23DBFBA81C4.jpeg

95EAA2E5-C62B-4736-8AB1-582D3CEBB604.jpeg

AFFF62BE-21E3-4661-AD5D-52E5D7C1EA30.jpeg

ADAE978B-360C-4267-BC8A-7812C9BA92DD.jpeg

A49D8C28-392B-407A-BF8F-49C679531252.jpeg

A23E8B4D-9FD7-4257-834C-652A3FFC1F26.jpeg

BF374151-C673-415F-B44A-BCCAF62EE432.jpeg

Well its painted... but the lack of a booth and the over abundance of pollen has created one hell of a wet sanding job for me....  i gave up after 2 coats of clear, so i’ll wet sand this thing, rig up a booth setup and re clear the thing my last few days of vacation. 

BDB82B9E-58FD-4057-BAC1-ACE4BEBA40A9.jpeg

sorry to hear that it did not work out as well as you hoped.  I know that disappointment of it just not being up to the quality you like.  Pretty sure if/when mine gets painted again it will not be in my garage by me.

59 minutes ago, ttocs said:

sorry to hear that it did not work out as well as you hoped.  I know that disappointment of it just not being up to the quality you like.  Pretty sure if/when mine gets painted again it will not be in my garage by me.

Definitely let the wind out of the sails a bit compared to the near flawless pieces i had done previously, but oh well.

i got started on the wetsanding and its coming out pretty easily and quickly, so it wont be to much of a paint.  The sides could get by with a clean up and get by with a cut n buff. The upper surfaces will need some extra clear.

I have the materials, so its no big deal, just some extra work. 

2 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

This time of year it’s almost impossible to spray and not get stuff in the paint. Too much pollen and bugs in the air. So don’t get down on yourself.

Next time, create a ground cable and run it from your chassis to a solid earth ground in your garage. It helps displace the static charge you create when spraying and the car won’t attract as much dust and stuff. Learned that trick from a guy who use to do some seriously insane custom paint work in an old barn and the paint always canine out flawless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats pretty damn genius!

4 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Oh come on, you know that pollen is nothing that a little elbow grease wont take care of! 

LoL. That it is..  it’ll be done before we know it :)

Almost done sanding.  Gotta do the passenger side and the rear section of the decklid.   Also went through to primer on a few corners, so i’ll have to touch those up, but that does give me the opportunity to repaint the roof and remove some of the tiger stripping that is almost not even noticeable. 

1A1A72FD-583C-4976-A042-D8156F534AE7.jpeg

7 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Awesome! Got it all sanded now, after you get the roof and touch up spots done, are you going to clear the whole car? Is the temporary booth still going to happen?

Yep, i’ll clear the entire car. I have a little more than 1/2 gallon of clear, so i may as well use it.  

So instead of an entire booth, i am going to do something a bit more temporary.

im going to tape plastic drop cloth to the ceiling and openings of the garage to build a booth.  Then put some Hvac filters over holes cut in the drop plastic and a pair of box fans at the other end of the plastic cave of over spray death. 

The idea is the plastic death cave will keep crap from floating in, and the box fans (blowing air out of the cave) will evacuate the overspray while letting filtered air in through the Hvac filters. 

Ive used something similar once before, so it should work..

• Like 1

Sanding is all done.  Ended up burning through in a few spots along the edges along the bottoms of the doors and decklid.. i was planning to respray the roof anyways, so no big deal since i have some blending spray, the touch ups should be invisible.

tomorrow i have to pull the car out and completely wash it and remask it. Im hoping to respray it on Wed. Before the temps get back to the near 80’s so i can use the fast reducers and activators i have.  

3 minutes ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Looks like this go around came out a whole lot better! I’m excited to see it out in the sun. 

It is a TON better.  Still some trash in the clear, but that is expected without a booth.   I’m gonna go pickup the stuff i need to do the cut n buffing on it tomorrow, so im not sure if i’ll have it out in the sun tomorrow or next week once i come back home for work.

Picked up some stuff to start the cut n buff process.  Im still waiting on a bottle of 3M ultrafine polish to arrive.  The local body shop place wanted $60 for what i got for $28 off amazon prime.

i also got the wetsand, compounding and 1 polishing step done on the rear sail panels and passenger side skirt.  Its amazing how smooooooth those panels are.   Its exciting to see what the final outcome will be. 

Also stuck the ducktail spoiler in place temporarily to see how it would look. 

00B2B7EB-FE6B-42FB-82C3-FE9CA62465DA.jpeg

B5ADD5DB-5857-4BF6-8C0C-E03F95852499.jpeg

116307BD-5E7F-44B2-A261-B15537932262.jpeg

42 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

That spoiler is pure fawking titties and sexual chocolate!!!!!!!!

Build one for the 94-98’s you dirty rotten scoundrel!!!!!!!!!

And I mean that in the nicest of ways!!!!!! emoji1787.png

LoL.  One day... eventually.   

• Moderators
12 hours ago, ThomasW said:

LoL.  One day... eventually.   

As expensive as you said it would be, I am still considering the full trunk...

18 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

As expensive as you said it would be, I am still considering the full trunk...

Dude, its RIDICULOUS! What 94-98 cars go for around here.

theres a 94 v6 (looks like atlantic blue, ir whatever color is was) for $3500!

even a junker GT vert with no front body panels or drivetrain is going for $1500!

but a 05 v6 roller is $300? Wtf. Lol

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, ThomasW said:

Dude, its RIDICULOUS! What 94-98 cars go for around here.

theres a 94 v6 (looks like atlantic blue, ir whatever color is was) for $3500!

even a junker GT vert with no front body panels or drivetrain is going for $1500!

but a 05 v6 roller is $300? Wtf. Lol

Might be some time before I can get to the junk yard, but want me to look around here?  I can get body panels for CHEAP.  I bought a quarter panel off a car for like $40.

9 hours ago, Psychorugby said:

Might be some time before I can get to the junk yard, but want me to look around here?  I can get body panels for CHEAP.  I bought a quarter panel off a car for like $40.

Well... if you want something like i have with the end pieces, i really need the entire ass end of the car.   An entire car is preferable as it helps to be able to see how the thing flows with the body.

8 hours of sanding and a little bit of buffing later,  hood is completely done (but it needs a respray bc of the tiger striping) the drivers fender and door are sanded to 1000 and about 2/3 of the roof is sanded to 1000.   I just ordered $100 worth of sandpaper (800 to 3000 grits) so that should be here once i get back from work.

here’s a few random photos from today.

41672610-12F9-4B8C-9454-9F850C5E2D28.jpeg

00B675CD-21A9-49A5-8FF9-D4D47119C474.jpeg

468F7888-9BD0-48AC-8975-7CD939DE50BF.jpeg

65E88ADE-6171-4F1F-B596-61E525E8F8ED.jpeg

• Like 2

yea I made that same sandpaper order a while back and I am almost ready to pull it out and get back to work with it.  FYI anything above the 1k I hope you really enjoy rubbing as it just takes for ever...

23 minutes ago, ttocs said:

yea I made that same sandpaper order a while back and I am almost ready to pull it out and get back to work with it.  FYI anything above the 1k I hope you really enjoy rubbing as it just takes for ever...

Everything up to this point i have been doing with 1000 grit.  The hood is the only thing that has gotten finer and that was 1200grit.  Im about 8 hours into it so far. 

Im not looking forward to 1500,2000 and 3000. 

If i wasnt cheap, i would spend the $60/box for those in 6” velcro discs for the DA sander.  

5 minutes ago, Evilcw311 said:

The da makes quicker work of it but you gotta be super duper freakin incredibly careful with it. It’s an easy way to burn through or leave cloudy areas in the paint.

As long as your being careful and moving in a careful manner you’ll be ok!!!

Im just going to do it by hand, i got 50 sheets of every grit listed for less than 2 boxes of the DA stuff.  Sanding by hand will suck, but im in no rush.  I cant get the car inspected until i get new tires anyways. 

2 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

The da makes quicker work of it but you gotta be super duper freakin incredibly careful with it. It’s an easy way to burn through or leave cloudy areas in the paint.

As long as your being careful and moving in a careful manner you’ll be ok!!!

are you sure you are not confusing an orbital with a DA?  Yes you can still burn through with the da but not nearly as easy with just a regular orbital.  As bad as all the sanding sucks polishing it all by hand is not something I am planning on doing.

• Moderators
On 5/17/2019 at 9:28 PM, ThomasW said:

Well... if you want something like i have with the end pieces, i really need the entire ass end of the car.   An entire car is preferable as it helps to be able to see how the thing flows with the body.

What I have in mind is just the trunk lid, not the extensions.

Image result for m3 csl bootlid

• Moderators
18 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

Our mustangs have such wide hips that this probably wouldn’t look right.

The Beamer doesn’t have nearly as much curve in the rear.

They're curvier than you think.

1 minute ago, Evilcw311 said:

Fawking tits!!!!!

LOL

the buffing would be done, but when i took it outside to wash all the wetsanding gunk off in the nooks and crannies, i saw alot of dull spots where i didnt compound enough. 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬

buffing I always thought was a little more fun then sanding just because you finally get to see what all the work was for.  When I am sanding and checking to make sure I am where I want to be over and over drives me nuts.

After coming home from work, i was welcomed with all of the sanding scratches visible again.  I tried using the HF compounding pad again... same problem.

so i bought a 3M waffle compound pad and it was a night and day difference.  All of the scratches the HF pad wouldnt remove came out in only one or two passes.

385F7BCA-91C6-46EC-9217-7CBAFF938CAD.thumb.jpeg.b2210743215d133081ac77f20808b50d.jpeg

after compounding the Entire car for the third time..  all of the wetsanding scratches were basically gone.   Now i need to order the other two pads. Lol

anyways, the wife got involved and cleaned all the glass on the car, the interior and helped me compound the headlights, tail lights and install a few small odds and ends.

Here you can see the tail light as we were compounding it. The nearest lense has been done, the other two havent. 

CDDB77FE-4B18-41CA-BADB-E8E61AFF172B.thumb.jpeg.5c337b6af90b21092d77c89a4a78e1bf.jpeg

wanting to do something different for the turn signals, i was originally going to do a 99/01 cobra type turn signal.  Then decided to do my own sequentials, but realized the LED strips would be visible through the lense.  Then the wife said i should do the outer bulb in the stock configuration and the lower turn signal (if it was an amber tail light signal) so it would look like an Arrow (its more like an L).  Its kind of cool and different, so i said why the hell not. Lol

All thats left at this point is some detail stuff, such as.

lower bumper side supports

drilling the jacking rails for the side skirt pins

front bumper

license plate hardware

tubular front bumper

tires

AC plumbing

front fender lines

drivers side skirt

polishing and swirl removal

ceramic coating 

alignment

gas

Most of that will get it to the point that i can drive the car. 

• Like 2