Lanter

Lanter's house reno and garage expansion

Haven't been as active one here of late mostly due to selling and buying a new house.  The house needs some serious updating and was previously build/owned by an amish family.  They had electric ran throughout the home before placing it on market but that was really all the updating they did.  I had HVAC installed and my wife and I are currently in the process of rearranging the kitchen, painting the cabinets, building an island, adding lights, master bathroom and master closet, and flooring throughout.  Once we get that finished and can move into the main floor we will redo the upstairs, mostly cosmetics, and run electric out to the shop.  The property is a little over 5.5 acres and contains a couple out buildings with one being an 80x40 metal building with a one bedroom apartment off to the side.  It houses an almost full basketball court which unfortunately has a case of the Indiana Hoosier which will be covered up with some black and gold (Boiler Up!).  

House

41033782991_56ae61f320_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Barn and garage.  Back pasture will be turned into a shooting range as we have no plans to own horses so the barn will be perfect for shooting/ a machine shop.

40992093412_627b8bca50_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Shop and apartment

40325276414_b75096c7a7_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Shop

40992088152_587ed529e8_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

40992087162_6e8261f078_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

40325269334_850dd16b69_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Project will take ages so all the automotive stuff is being put on the back burner.  Jeep needs some universal joints, mustang is getting a new wideband and catch can, datsun gets a dry place to park lol.  Other than that it's all going into the house for now.  But the property is my wife and I's dream setup with room for the kids to play, storage for toys, and plenty of room.  

Edited by Lanter
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Wow. Thats an awesome place! Good job! Are you going to be posting interior pictures as youre updating it?

Thanks, we are certainly excited about the potential it has. Yes I’ll post up some progress pictures on the work so far. Trying to get them in somewhat order so it’s not just random sections that all seem to be a mess. 

38 minutes ago, ttocs said:

you bought a former amish property, with an indoor basketball court?!

Ha yea. Still Indiana I suppose, so even the Amish love their basketball lol. Actually they are huge Indiana fans around where I live. 

On 3/27/2018 at 4:46 AM, ttocs said:

I am down further south in evansville and there just are not many amish here.  still just strikes me as odd.  Not mennonite ?

Don't believe they were mennonite, I grew up in the area and there's always been a large amish community here.

8 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Badass! Congrats on the new purchase, sounds like you're very busy with it already. I can't even explain how jealous I am of the outbuildings.

Thanks man, busy for sure.  The outbuildings are certainly more than I ever thought I would get and a lot more than I would have built if they weren't there.  But having the room will be amazing once I get the funds for tools, equipment, etc.

6 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

congrats on the nice place I know all to well about house projects as that is all I have done the last 3 months

Thanks! 

6 hours ago, Evilcw311 said:

Nice find!!

south central Indiana is full of Amish. You’d be surprised at what they get into. 

Thanks! 

5 hours ago, Prokiller said:

this place looks awesome with sooo much potential!  congratulations on the new digs!

Potential is certainly there just needs a lot of updating lol.  

4 hours ago, GTTRacing91PGT said:

Can't wait to follow this! Looks awesome!

Thanks!

Here are some pictures from when we bought the property, be warned though there is some serious linoleum content to follow....

House from the road which kind of shows the wrap around porch, actually covers most of the back side of the house which should be great in the summer.

26169445147_6e0c69bf3b_b.jpgISaleekqwktj051000000000 by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Here is the kitchen in all its 90's glory. 

40331778944_a5b6d581f9_b.jpgISi7xphazrz5151000000000 by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

view from the kitchen into the living space

26169445287_e97d41b897_b.jpgISa1vdz3vjr8151000000000 by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

office space off the main living area that we are turning into the master bathroom/closet.

26169445357_25c7335e21_b.jpgIS66kpf7afmm151000000000 by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Here is a shot from the lower level of the barn/two car garage.  Eventually I would like to run electric out here and convert it into a small machine shop.

26169445407_c05cf72b7e.jpgIS2760q1m8de351000000000 by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Project 1: Kitchen demo/re-configure

Idea here was to move the fridge surround that was converted into a pantry over to the fridge location and also shorten the countertop to accommodate a table and chairs.  Countertop will be added back when we build the island that will house the stove.

Pulling cabinet doors for paint and stain also new hardware.

40325272194_5ec174cfeb_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Current kitchen status, floors were all ripped out and we are now in the process of re-hanging the cabinet doors after paint and stain.  Also measuring for the island build, the butcher block countertop for the island is arriving Friday and is 9' by 3'.  Also adding recessed lighting to brighten the space up.

27205120768_9d3a32f809_b.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Project 2: Master bathroom

First step here was to frame in the doorway to the office to close off the space

27162848378_fd8a188ea7_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Next we busted through the office closet into the master bedroom.  Needed to build two headers to create the doorway and hallway as the walls were both load bearing.

26163168597_25298211be_b.jpgHouse by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

I also got the closet framed out and wiring ran to relocate lights and switches but no photos of that yet.  Will be adding recessed lighting in the bathroom and laying tile down this week.  The other big tasks were ripping out all the linoleum flooring and getting the sub-floor ready for underlayment and laminate.  This has been slowed down as we select interior paint, figured painting first so we don't have to worry about getting paint on the new floors would be the way to go but this means fixing the drywall that was damaged by ripping out all the wood paneling.  The main living space will get a grey paint with white trim and white wainscoting running throughout.  Hopefully we can get that completed in the next couple weeks.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

congrats on the nice place Dan knows all to well about house projects as that is all he has done the last 3 years

quoted and edited to reflect my life. lol

I like the plan to convert the office to a closet, that will be a really generously sized closet for sure! Gotta love 90s kitchens! Could be worse, you could have gotten a late 70s/early 80s setup. We passed on a few houses we looked at purely because we knew we wouldn't be able to afford to redo a kitchen right off the bat and couldn't imagine being ok with olive green or orange counter tops for a couple years lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

quoted and edited to reflect my life. lol

I like the plan to convert the office to a closet, that will be a really generously sized closet for sure! Gotta love 90s kitchens! Could be worse, you could have gotten a late 70s/early 80s setup. We passed on a few houses we looked at purely because we knew we wouldn't be able to afford to redo a kitchen right off the bat and couldn't imagine being ok with olive green or orange counter tops for a couple years lol.

I have a feeling the entire house will be right along that timeline of 2-3 years.  Hopefully the main floor will be done soon though so we can move in.  Counter tops will be the one thing untouched in this kitchen, and while we hate them they are going to have to stay while we save up for granite lol.  Completely agree on the 70s/80s garbage that's still out there.  We looked at a couple of houses that as soon as we entered the kitchen all imagination was abruptly kicked out and replaced by dollar signs that would be needed to gut and redo.

• Like 1

Main space, kitchen, and master bedroom have received new laminate flooring, would have went hardwood but having two young kids and a dog we opted for the slightly tougher surface on the laminate flooring.  

26470970587_a3d6d3dc56_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

40446508485_1de1e1bf94_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Kitchen is getting close to being finished up.  We added LED recessed lighting to brighten the place up, will be replacing the single light that was there with some sort of drop lighting. 

Before:

27205120768_9d3a32f809_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

After:

41331153651_5f4aee6571_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

This weekend we were also able to start and almost finish the kitchen island.  We purchased a 3' by 8' birch butcher block counter top that arrived so we were able to start framing up the cabinets.  The island will contain the stove, set of cabinets, book shelving for cook books, trash can, and enough room for the two stools so the kids can eat breakfast etc on the island.

Work started by framing up two 4x4 posts as the legs of the island and giving it some dimension with a cross pattern similar to all the barn doors, house doors.  Also we needed to raise the height of the cabinets to give the countertop the proper height to match the other counters.

41331153711_ab1746ca49_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Next we continued framing out the pocket where the sitting area will be as well as the book shelves.

41331153621_ef268d9159_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Here is the framing for the trash can area as well as the pocket where the oven will slide in.

26459249847_ffd6e1a3d4_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Landed the countertop on the framing.

26459249827_ff9fa2ca49_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Last steps we got to this weekend was putting up some 1/4" backer board to enclose the framing.  All of the island will be painted white to match the upper cabinets.  All that needs done now besides paint is running electrical, gas lines, making shelves, waste can swivel out cabinet and cutting the top for the stove to slide in.

26459249807_9bd0cda6e6_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

26459249767_610301ddb4_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

• Like 2

that floor looks really good in there.  and laminate is definitely the way to go.  real wood is just too difficult to maintain.  that island already looks great in there.

did I miss it, or are you keeping the bottom cabinets that color or painting them white to match?

2 hours ago, Prokiller said:

that floor looks really good in there.  and laminate is definitely the way to go.  real wood is just too difficult to maintain.  that island already looks great in there.

did I miss it, or are you keeping the bottom cabinets that color or painting them white to match?

Thanks!  Island will be painted white to match the uppers but the remaining lower cabinets we are leaving stained in the dark stain.

10 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

Please tell me the 4x4s aren't pressure treated (they look it).

uh-oh what's the problem with pressure treated timber?  It's all tops carried for 4x4s so I didn't have any choice when I picked them up

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Lanter said:

uh-oh what's the problem with pressure treated timber?  It's all tops carried for 4x4s so I didn't have any choice when I picked them up

For starters, it's wet right now (hence it is green), so it is going to shrink and warp.  For second, it is wet because it is full of chemicals to keep it from rotting - not the least of which are arsenic and formaldehyde.  You don't want those chemicals off-gassing in the house.

1 minute ago, Psychorugby said:

For starters, it's wet right now (hence it is green), so it is going to shrink and warp.  For second, it is wet because it is full of chemicals to keep it from rotting - not the least of which are arsenic and formaldehyde.  You don't want those chemicals off-gassing in the house.

Well shit, I've read several articles claiming treated timber is fine for inside use save for cutting boards and counter tops (makes sense).  I let the boards sit for some time (1.5 weeks or so) inside to dry out more.  I'll research more and see if the warp any, worst case I wasted 30 bucks and a days worth of time.  Thanks for mentioning it, I wasn't aware there was much risk of off-gassing..  

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Lanter said:

Well shit, I've read several articles claiming treated timber is fine for inside use save for cutting boards and counter tops (makes sense).  I let the boards sit for some time (1.5 weeks or so) inside to dry out more.  I'll research more and see if the warp any, worst case I wasted 30 bucks and a days worth of time.  Thanks for mentioning it, I wasn't aware there was much risk of off-gassing..  

You can use PT lumber inside if it is really old.  A week and a half isn't even close to enough to time for it to dry out.  I've had 4x4 fence posts twist enough to pop ring shank nails out.  

4 minutes ago, Psychorugby said:

You can use PT lumber inside if it is really old.  A week and a half isn't even close to enough to time for it to dry out.  I've had 4x4 fence posts twist enough to pop ring shank nails out.  

Good to know.  Wood working and home repair stuff is certainly out of my wheelhouse so I appreciate the information.

New non-pressure treated lumber picked up so tonight will be devoted to correcting my mistake but hopefully having time to cut the butcher block for the slide in stove.  Thanks @Psychorugby for raising the concern over the PT lumber.  

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Lanter said:

New non-pressure treated lumber picked up so tonight will be devoted to correcting my mistake but hopefully having time to cut the butcher block for the slide in stove.  Thanks @Psychorugby for raising the concern over the PT lumber.  

Good man!  If nothing else, now you will be able to paint them!  

• Like 1

This place looks awesome! Congrats on that!

Already doing a good amount of work and you can see the difference. Plan on getting some big ass tractors to keep all that grass cut? Or maybe a few goats? Can always punch a goat if need be too

Any updated pics since then? 

Lot's have been going on, busy with the house and other projects as well as my son started T ball so time spent on the house has slowed dramatically.  But we are still pushing on, just really need to finish trimming the rooms, master bathroom, and renovate the downstairs bath.  But all in all it's coming along.  

First up is the kitchen, so I left off with having to tear the entire island back apart to replace the legs that I had originally built with treated wood.  So now that's remedied and the entire kitchen is back together and painted (for the most part).  Still needs some odds and ends and trim around the cabinets.  But it's close to being complete.  
40654937160_65202aea17_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Next big area is the living room, which got a new ceiling (along with the kitchen), paint, trim.  Then we decided the grey was a bit dark for the room so we added wainscoting throughout.  That turned into a big chore.  Started by painting around 3' of the lower portion of the walls white.  Then added horizontal and vertical trim using 4"x1" primed mdf.  Then we filled the nail holes and added a single layer of white to the entire wainscoting.  
Started the room by filling in a doorway to block off the master bathroom as well as filling in all the nail holes from the previous owners.
42189414661_072e8d8cec_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

28317011188_0c1ab5fb61_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Then came the wall paint (happens to be the master bedroom but its the same paint and process as the living room)
42189967481_5b97db2b14_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Wainscoting added to the living room
42189986491_6a7ac2cbbd_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

27318718407_3ed9ec6ac6_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Here you can see the room nearly completed, wainscoting with a final coat of white.  The ceilings have been sheet rocked, tapped and mudded, and a final texture coating added.  Also switched out the single light for a ceiling fan.  Lastly we moved our stuff in after what felt like forever lol.   Still need to hide the wiring for the tv in the wall since we elected to wall mount it as well as finish some trim work and paint touchups.
41560732805_03ba6760e2_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

42412728352_214f122f6e_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

41560732815_94e7d6107b_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr
Here is a reference picture for how the room started out.
40382261290_96b24e77d8_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Next room we tackled was the master bedroom.  This room needed flooring, paint, trim and a new doorway to the newly added master bathroom (still needing to be finished).  Started this room by tearing through the wall and adding a header for the doorway to the master bathroom.
40756848730_3b9b7309c2_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Then we added in the flooring and paint (after a mountain of drywall work)
41664006945_a8c5c2de23_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

41560735505_e3a13c1659_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

28691525708_04df3e4cc6_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

At this point I decided that what use to be the master closet would work perfect as a spot for my newly aquired gun safe, since we are adding in a large walk in closed the old one would have just been vacant.  This required opening up the doorway a little and adding in some 2x4's to build up a pad for the safe to bolt down to.  I also went ahead and ran lighting from the old light switch into the safe.
40 gun cannon safe.
41740297344_dd46940289_c.jpgHouse Reno by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

got the safe in the house and into the closet.  Then closed up the top and bottom with framing and drywall.
27695560227_d887c03f3c_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr
27695588577_2f1f349842_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Then we painted the room and put in most the trim, still needing to add trim to the one wall with the gun safe.  Also at this point I finished the drywall on the doorway to the bathroom and added a barndoor.

28590640258_3713659a46_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

42566134691_55d62c01b0_c.jpgUntitled by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

That basically brings this thread up to date.  Still working a lot on the master bathroom and will update that portion when it's finished.  Right now I have all the walls framed and drywall added.  Need to mudd and tape them all then paint.  Also laydown cement board, shower base, tile.  Then the double vanity and all the plumbing can be put in.  Hoping to get that finished by mid July but we will see.  House projects really take a lot of time to do lol.  

Oh another update, found and purchased another z car.  This ones a 1972 240z, grey primer'd car is a 74 260z.  Purchased it originally as a parts car but it's so complete and straight, super rusty, but straight that I think I am going to go ahead and keep it.  Planning on sticking with a carb'd straight six in the 260z and turning the white car more into a daily/driver with a LS swap and a six speed.  So here's to a 10 year project lol.

41838943874_38b7904cfe_c.jpg34258980_10155801700560749_4372509069353680896_n by Kevin Lanter, on Flickr

Edited by Lanter
  • Like 1

Everything looks great, the island turned out really nice. The living room is a huge transformation, especially losing the old flooring. I love the built-in look of the gun safe, reminds me of a bank or something. And for some reason I really like the basketball court lines on the garage floor, lol.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 95riosnake said:

Everything looks great, the island turned out really nice. The living room is a huge transformation, especially losing the old flooring. I love the built-in look of the gun safe, reminds me of a bank or something. And for some reason I really like the basketball court lines on the garage floor, lol.

Thanks!  It's finally getting there.  I agree on the built in look for the safe.  If I couldn't have done that the safe would have ended up just sitting in the basement as I don't much care, nor have room, for a safe to just sit out by itself.  Ha having a basketball court in the garage has thrown me for a loop, torn between building work benches and an eventual lift but loosing some of the court or leaving it all open.

Dude I love what you've done!  I can't wait to tackle wood flooring like that.  Also, I really love the built in safe but I have no where I can do that unfortunately!

22 hours ago, Yeahloh95 said:

nice job on the house I have spent the last 3 months finishing my moms basement for my sister to live down there what a job and glad its done .

Thanks, yea I can't wait to get the house squared away.  Getting close to being burnt out on it, plus I'm ready to start on one of the Zs.

13 hours ago, Number Tew said:

Dude I love what you've done!  I can't wait to tackle wood flooring like that.  Also, I really love the built in safe but I have no where I can do that unfortunately!

Thanks, flooring was super easy to do and really changes the look of a room.  The safe worked out well for me but you have to have a pretty deep wall to fit it, only reason it worked in my case was the closet there that we no longer needed.

• Like 2

Year flew by and the accomplishments on the house really went slow lol.  A million reasons for the delays but there’s still some stuff I was able to get closer to completion.  I’ve been on and off working on the master bathroom/closet and finally have stuff to show, though there’s a ton left to work on.

Here is how the office turned master bathroom started (after the HVAC was installed):
Looking at the north wall, where the shower will be going, basically standing where the closet will go and looking out into the bathroom.

House Reno

Looking into where the closet will be, after boxing in the HVAC and closing in the doorway and stair case opening. 

House Reno

This photo is looking at the office closet that will be removed and the wall opened up into the master bedroom.  Part of the closet turns into the hallway with the other half becoming a linen closet. 

House Reno

I’ll start by showing the demolition of the old office closet and the construction of the new door ways for the master bathroom/bedroom door.  Here the old closet door was removed and headers installed to open the space up as much as possible as well as provide a doorway into the bedroom.

IMG_0919

Here is a look from the bedroom into the new doorway.

Master bath

From that point I turned my attention to framing out the closet section of the bathroom, mainly consisting of three parts.
First was framing in the old doorway and stairs and around the HVAC ducting.

Master bath

Master bath

Next section was framing out the outer walls of the closet.

Master bath

Somewhat panoramic few of the closet walls

Master bath

Last bit of framing was closing in the staircase and building pockets for dressers so that I could utilize the space under the staircase for storage.

Master bath

Master bath

After all the framing came drywall, laminate flooring (same as in the rest of the main floor) and the start of painting.

Master bath

IMG_1854

I haven’t completely finished the drywall as I need to run some electrical for upstairs which means installing a conduit before closing the wall in.

IMG_1856

Now that the closet is to the point where we can move clothing into it we switched gears to the bathroom.  We at this point had torn out all the old flooring and installed cement board and 12x24” concrete grey tile, and although all the pictures don’t show it we went with a dark charcoal grout.  With all the drywall mud and sanding the grout lines are white and in need of a good cleaning.

IMG_1774

For some reason I have no good pictures of the tile and the rest of the bathroom, though the vanity and toilet are not installed they are sitting in place.  Anyway, the next steps were starting the shower layout and install, and in the meantime my wife started with prepping the walls and painting.  The blue we picked out was a touch dark so we decided to do a shiplap about a third up the wall to help brighten the walls.  

IMG_2128

The shiplap will carry throughout the bathroom, while the closet received a grey paint and just basic trim.

For the shower we went with the kerdi system,  while it’s easy to work with and nice quality stuff it  is expensive and very time consuming.
I first laid out the shower dimensions and tore out all the drywall.  Then ran my plumbing for the shower mixing valve, shower head, and body washer. 

IMG_1997

Next, started hanging the kerdi board on the walls.  And installing the shower niche.

46525045442_1394fe71d4_b.jpg

IMG_2025

After the walls were up I cut down the shower pan and installed it, I also included a shower bench in the corner.  I purchased a larger shower pan than I needed so I was able to use the extra that was cut off to build the shower curbs.

45662940865_5032173249_b.jpg

After that came the waterproofing the shower pan and walls, which requires laying down the floor membrane and applying patches over all the screws and seams with thinset mortar.

IMG_2362

Some of the trim I needed took a long time to ship in so the next part of the shower I worked on was laying the penny time on the floor and installing the drain.

IMG_2377

Cutting the drain out and thinsetting the penny time down.

IMG_2394

This basically brings this up to date.  My next tasks are to start putting tile on the walls and curb, along with the kerdi rondec trim to finish out the edges.  Then I’ll need to connect the waste line and purchase and install the shower glass.  The glass will take some time to get so my plan is to work on installing the toilet and vanity while I am waiting.  Then finish the paint and trim work and finally have a completed bathroom project….. so I can tear out the old bathroom that we are currently using and redo it lol.  

Oh I also picked up another project car to stuff in the shop, 1988 notchback that’s currently getting a tube front welded on.

43648551674_e57567cb3a_b.jpg

IMG_2259

Anyway, I’m really pushing to get the bathroom finished out this month so that I can start work on converting the original first floor full bath into a half bath with storage.  Then the downstairs will be completed and we can move on to renovating the 2nd floor.

Edited by Lanter
issues with pictures
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, ttocs said:

I think I would have had to figure out a way to make the dressers easily removable for a safe/safe room under the stairs.

They are fairly easy to slide out. I didn’t bolt them down or anything lol

ah i remember doing our shower...that schluter-kerdi system is really good stuff.  looks like you are coming along quite nicely though

• Like 1