iRoush

Teksid 2v Swap How-To

This guide is for those looking to swap an aluminum teksid motor from a 96-98 cobra or 93-98 Mark VIII. I will be referencing both conversions (Windsor to Teksid / Romeo to Teksid). If you do not have a donor motor then this thread is not for you!

Please note this is meant as a guide and what worked for myself, any damage you may incur on your own motor is solely your responsibility.

So let's get down to the nitty gritty:

teksid_011.jpg

teksid_008.jpg

teksid_005.jpg

Here's your "brand new" Aluminum Teksid Motor. Pretty ain't she?

Now some things to take note of on the block itself:

1.) The Heater valley nipple/tube is much different than the 2v. You have two options when it comes to putting the 2v parts on it.

-You could leave the metal nipple there and run a flexible rubber hose from the nipple to heater inlet

-OR you can knock the metal nipple out with a correctly sized socket with hammer and replace it with the 2v nipple and hose (this is what I did and recommend doing)

2.) Where is the Coolant passage on the driver side of the block?

-This was a non-existent port on the 4v block and heads and you have 2 options.

-Drill the hole (use an old gasket as a guideline, and drill all the way through to the coolant passage)

-Leave it be. It's only there as a water-pump bypass, and not mandatory especially since you don't want your water pump being bypassed at high RPM! (This is what I did, sure it reduces some hp from drag but well worth it)

3.) Why are there no dowels pressed into the front of the block for the timing chain guide pivot points?

-This is a minor nuisance. As you know the Iron Block'd 2v has pressed on guide pivot dowels. The only 2v style blocks that have the screw-in pivot which is necessary for the teksid, is the WAP 2v block that is found in explorers. If you don't feel like going through the pain of pulling a cover off an explorer in the JY for two dowel pivots (believe me you don't), then you can order these from Tousley Ford Parts for $17.50 a piece. Make sure you BUY TWO!!!

Part#: YR3Z-6K282-AA

IMG_2270.jpg

Pins installed (look to the left and right of the crankshaft snout):

IMG_2281.jpg

4.) Why does one of my timing cover bolts not line up with the front of the teksid block?

-Not a big issue, just variances in timing covers. All you have to do is RTV the heck out of the hole and the mating surface of the cover. (This is what I did)

-If you're really anal about it, find yourself a 94/95 thunderbird timing cover. they work perfect.

Pre Cover:

ab2f4c81.jpg

Post Cover w/ RTV filled

1fbc9810.jpg

5.) Timing Cover bolt sizes aren't matching up? WTF!!!! (Windsor block conversions only)

-Calm down there Cowboy. There ARE some variances between the windsor and teksid/romeo bolts. The windsor bolts are of a larger diameter, so the bolts will be reusable for the heads but any threads on the block itself will need to be replaced by the timing cover bolts from a romeo. I found countless NPI thunderbirds in my local junkyard, maybe you'll have the same luck I did. If your teksid came with the bolts for the block side of the timing cover, then you're in luck and won't have to go on a JY run.

6.1) Why doesn't my oil filter/coolant neck fit?!?!? OMGWTFBBQ!! (Windsor block conversions only)

- Chill out Turbo! Windsor engines used a different routing for there coolant neck so it interferes with part of the structure of the block itself on the teksid. This is not the case on the Romeo neck. Thus giving you two options:

-(1) Buy a Romeo coolant neck that bolts on right in place.

-(2) Grind down the foot of the block that is interfering with the coolant neck. (This is what I did).

if you look right after the 90 degree turn of the coolant neck you can see one of the feet of the block, this is what we had to trim

3bd255f9.jpg

6.2) Why doesn't my coolant neck gasket match up to the block??? (Windsor block conversions only)

-Take the coolant neck off. If you're trying to use a windsor coolant neck gasket it WILL NOT WORK. You must buy a Romeo coolant neck gasket otherwise the port will be partially blocked.

7.) Why does the crank on the teksid have eight bolt holes but my Romeo only has six??? (Romeo block Conversions Only)

-Just how the different ford plants decided to make them. You WILL need an 8 bolt flywheel for the teksid, so if you have a romeo engine, you're out of luck. Windsor blocks already come with 8-bolts so that's a direct swap though.

Other than that... if you use everything off of your 2v block, it should be a very straight-forward swap to and from each block! Best of luck and feel free to add to it!

ed55d563.jpg

37 minutes ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Photobucket screwed the pooch on that one. Is there anything specific that you need to know?

I had a really nice write up on this.  @droptoppony was trying to bring it back from the dead for me.  

1 hour ago, LWARRIOR1016 said:

Photobucket screwed the pooch on that one. Is there anything specific that you need to know?

Nothing in specific, I had seen this thread a while ago and I was planning a 2v teksid build, now that I'm getting all the parts together the images disappeared lol.