iRoush

Custom Shift Light Malfunctioning

Hey guys, as some of you may know I made a Custom Shift Light for my car. From the first time I started driving with it I've had a small issue that I never bothered to correct. Every once in awhile it would flash randomly, figured because it's picking up a random RPM pulse since I tapped right into the coil signal on the passenger kick panel, when I've been told that it's necessary for a tach adaptor on most shift lights to get a cleaner signal. Well, I just replaced a broken coil yesterday and now the light won't stop flashing and until I can get it fixed I just unplugged it. My thoughts are one of the following:

1.) Need A Tach Adapter to get a clean signal

2.) Need to switch back to Ford OEM Coils because I'm getting a faulty reading from the Accel Coils

3.) Bad Ground

What do you guys think? And for those that don't know this is the light:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U81tcAyQrvg

hard to tell since we don't know how you really did it. Could be the input, could be something else.

it uses a microprocessor that reads voltage pulses to illuminate the lights. The microprocessor according from the place I bought it from, measures the freqency of the pulses and will work with a variety of pulse shapes. The fact it reads different pulse shapes may be the issue I'm experiencing as it could be reading pulses other than the one I want.

Edited by iRoush

depending on how sensative it all is it could be getting noise in from anything from a turn signal to a brake wire if its close enough. You probably would be better getting the signal at the source closer to the coil to ensure less noise.

Need a clean signal ran into the same issue on my cobra. Also I would look into switching back to the OEM coils I've heard nothing but problems about the accel style coils or switch over to MSD if they are available???

MSD and Accel are all made by the same aftermarket company. I haven't had any real issues with the coils but I do plan on switch back to motorcraft. But for now it'll do. I've got a lot of little things to fix...

FWIW, my Raptor light would malfunction when I was boosted. Whenever I was on the throttle it would do the start up sequence like when I start the car. It hasn't done it since I've been N/A. I was suspecting spark blow out messing with it. But never got around to closing the gaps to check.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

FWIW, my Raptor light would malfunction when I was boosted. Whenever I was on the throttle it would do the start up sequence like when I start the car. It hasn't done it since I've been N/A. I was suspecting spark blow out messing with it. But never got around to closing the gaps to check.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Weird. So I guess even the raptors have that problem. I ordered the tach adapter, hopefully this solves my issue, regardless im becoming pro at soldering thanks to this crap haha

I understand that. That's how my light is wired in and reading up on it a lot of people with 99-04's have issues wiring it up this way as it does not get a crisp and clear signal since 99-04's do not have a designated tachometer signal like the 96-98's do. the tachometer signal gets converted at the electronic gauge cluster whereas yours has a designated tachometer signal wire since the cluster is not electronically controlled.