Brian

The Great Coilover Debate

If you're talking about wheel/coil over contact issues.. I don't have any. But, i'm only running a 245. I've heard it can be an issue with your quads, but I dropped mine off anyways.. I think there's more clearance issues with foxbodies.

I mean for the minimal price difference I would buy MM coil overs myself but im running UPR since I was forced to with this turbo setup and they seem perfectly fine to me.

I wouldnt be worried about the UPR coil overs breaking or anything.....

You mean you were forced to run a UPR k-member? I don't think they'd force you to run a certain coil-over kit.

Sent from Space

They don't force you, they more or less suggest you stick with a specific brand based on how they built the kit around it. Just to cover there ass if you run a QA1 and run into fitment issues.. Some K Members are slightly different :) MM has alot my bracing from what I have seen so as long as the Kbeing used is similar to UPR there should be no issues...

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

the thread originally wasnt about coilovers. now it is.

Oh gotcha! It seemed like everyone was going back and forth about control arms and k-members lol

They don't force you, they more or less suggest you stick with a specific brand based on how they built the kit around it. Just to cover there ass if you run a QA1 and run into fitment issues.. Some K Members are slightly different :) MM has alot my bracing from what I have seen so as long as the Kbeing used is similar to UPR there should be no issues...

I can see your point on the manufacture side wanting no issues. I guess I just don't see running into an issue with using "A" coil over kit with "B" k-member. It's more relative to the shock you're using if we're talking sleeve design.

I installed my MM coilovers this past spring and I have to say overall I'm very satisfied. Quality is great and I haven't noticed any noise from them which is a huge deal for me.

thats good to hear, i have MM front coilovers, CC plates, and tokico drag struts to install.

One thing that always comes up is whether or not to put coil overs on the rears of a solid axle car. I was directed by Max. Motorsports to stick with the coil spring and shock setup because the ride would be to much for street purposes. As seen in this thread it seems people do run rear coil over setups. Is it just that the Hypercoils MM sells are too much and other options are available through other manufactures?

One thing that always comes up is whether or not to put coil overs on the rears of a solid axle car. I was directed by Max. Motorsports to stick with the coil spring and shock setup because the ride would be to much for street purposes. As seen in this thread it seems people do run rear coil over setups. Is it just that the Hypercoils MM sells are too much and other options are available through other manufactures?

generally that's because people go with an extreme spring rate that makes the ride on verge of being unbearable.

personally, the best setup I've ever driven on the street was 300# up front and 175# in the rear. the springs will squat a little on hard acceleration but the ride is extremely comfortable IMO.

I like stock rear springs with 1 coil cut, no need to go coil overs in the rear unless its a race car IMO and still alot of the guys are runnin anti-roll bars with stock cut coils and are 60Footin like a mo fo...

I like stock rear springs with 1 coil cut, no need to go coil overs in the rear unless its a race car IMO and still alot of the guys are runnin anti-roll bars with stock cut coils and are 60Footin like a mo fo...

agreed. that is the most common setup imo, 1 coil cut from springs and maybe some good shocks. ive heard that rear coilovers arent really that great for the street.

I don't consider my 250# springs in the back anywhere near unbearable. Would most people like it on a street car? Definitely not, but for a handling car it's acceptable. If I were to run a handling car that was what *I* would consider very comfortable, i'd go with a 350#/200ish# probably... That should be nice and firm but not hardcore.

no noise at all which I'm really happy about. It feels very sure-footed around corners, on wavy or bumpy roads it feels a little floaty sometimes but I've pushed it as hard as I've felt comfortable so far and I have yet to hear a peep from the tires. Of course I'm sure the K member and other stuff has a lot to do with that as well.

no noise at all which I'm really happy about. It feels very sure-footed around corners, on wavy or bumpy roads it feels a little floaty sometimes but I've pushed it as hard as I've felt comfortable so far and I have yet to hear a peep from the tires. Of course I'm sure the K member and other stuff has a lot to do with that as well.

that's good, cuz i like to take curves every now and then.

Edited by v6procharged

I'm not even sure if this debate is brand vs brand coilover or coilover vs spring setup but I'll share my car's specs which I hope will help someone. I had Eibach Sportlines on my '86 GT and I always dreamed of coilovers so I could get the perfect stance. I did have MM Extreme Duty LCA's on the Fox which I transfered over to my Saleen when it received all it's suspension upgrades. All I had to do was buy new aluminum bushings from MM which ran me $40 (my cost) for all 8 bushings (The bolts are 14mm from 99-04 and 12mm from 79-98). Since the Saleen already had Bilstein struts, it made the coilover upgrade rather cheap since I didn't have to upgrade struts.

MM front coilover kit w/ 275lb springs

Stock "Racecraft" struts/shocks

H&R Super Race springs rear (I have three subs in the trunk so these springs were suggested by MM)

MM Extreme Duty LCAs

MM c/c plates

The solid bushings in the control arms make bumps worse in the rear of the car, but I got used to it quickly. I feel like my car became only a tad stiffer than it was before with the Saleen springs. To me, the ride quality is fantastic and I got the stance I love, although I would like coilovers in the rear to perfect the drop. It's just a little higher on one side than the other and the spring perches are adjusted as low as they can go. The coilovers are about 2/3 the way down. I hope to install a bumpsteer kit in the future because I feel it's hard to keep the wheel straight on uneven roads. Also, I have 3/16" spacers on the front, mainly to clear the Saleen brakes but I think it makes the wheels look perfectly flush. I wanted the smallest spacer I could find, but now that I see how it looks, I'd be just as happy with a 1/4". However, the rear wheels on Mustangs tuck way too much and I plan for at least a 1/2"spacer.