SVT Rob

T45 to ???

Well, I had my Cobra on the lift last night finishing the exhaust install. My transmission sounds like it's crushing gravel, so I'm going to be on the lookout for a new/used one to stuff in there. My problem is, the T45 sucks. Can the 99/01 Cobra trans bolt in with no other changes? Or is the 99/01 Cobra trans still a T45? I've no plans to go with a T56, as the car will remain 99% stock and NA.

Rob

Very true, but there are quite a few differences between a 98 Cobra and a 99/01 Cobra. I wanted to know if would be too difficult to swap in a TR3650. From the sounds of it, yes. Electronic speedo, different mounting location for the crossmember, different shifter. Too much "extra" money, to get better shift forks.

I did find that I can use a T45 from a GT, as long as the tail shaft housing and speedo pickup gear is swapped out, so I may go that route. But I definitely did not like hearing what sounded like a can full of gravel being ground to dust in my transmission.

This isn't a race car, so it doesn't have to withstand power shifting or high rpm launches, or anything like that. Just needs to be able to drive every day :)

Rob

The 3650 has an electric speedo. I don't know how the 98 Cobra is set up, but I remember my 98 GT had a mechanical speedo. I never had an issue with my 3650, even when it was behind a blown stroker. But somehow a buddy of mine managed to kill it behind a stock 4.6. Depending on your goals I would look into a rebuild from a place like Astroperformance or Hanlon.

Did you drain the fluid and check it out? Some trannies are just noisy. Mine makes some noise when sitting at a light in neutral. But I've drained the fluid and there's no metal particles in it.

Edited by 01yellercobra

No, I have not. I'm going to try and do that this weekend. But, I have noticed that it makes a rattling noise on take off, it's difficult to shift at times, and it's just plain noisy. You can hear a bit of whining above 3k rpms.

The 98 Cobra is similar to the 98 GT, with the mechanical speedo, but it's a 7-tooth pickup vs the GT's 8-tooth pickup. The trans crossmember is also located further back than the GT's, but that's just a tailshaft swap away. I've got a lead on a T45 in Port St. Lucie, for a decent price, so I might just get it and swap it out, then rebuild mine at a later date.

Rob

Well, I'm wanting to swap the T5 out of my Capri for a T56, and I'm not sure I want to shell out that kind of money twice. I don't know if the extra $$ for a T56 is worth it, in a car that's not going to see anything more than spirited driving once in awhile.

TKO is a waste of money in these cars. For the price you'll pay to get one into your vehicle even used you can get the t45 rebuilt to handle just as much power if not more. For a stock application, a street rebuild is going to be in the $1100-$1300 range and it won't suck at shifting quick anymore. Mine shifts great except when I go to shift fast which is an issue with pretty much all t45s so I hear. Going with a rebuilt one myself probably with tax money. Although still contemplating built 4r75w...

Why the heck can Ford not use a decent transmission? I mean seriously. T5's and T45's suck. Even the new Getrag's(I think?) in the new Mustang were having issues... /rant

I'd just upgrade the T45 with T45Source type stuff.

I don't think there is much difference between the T5 and T45. Ford does suck at Transmission selection. The new Getrag MTs are made in China and have all kinds of problems. I wouldn't buy an a Muscle car that is a symbol of America with a Chinese transmission in it, would you?

For those of you considering a T56, there is a guy on ebay with a Magnum T56 package right at $4K. It comes with everything you need including a clutch and SFI approved scattershield. It sounds like a lot of money, but a T56 usually ends up being $4K to get in the car no matter how you slice it. The Magnum T56 is a relabeling of the TR6060 for the aftermarket. It is a more advance version of the T56 that comes as factory equipment in the new Corvette, GT500, Viper and Aston Martin. It has triple ring synchros and a 700ftlb torque rating.

Kurt

Oh, and the big downer for the 3650 is the one piece construction. If you ever get longtubes, you have to take them off everytime you pull the transmission. I would try and find a good T5. There is a much bigger market for parts for them.

Kurt

Depends on what brand lts you get

Sent from my LG-AS680 using Tapatalk 2

T-45 and 3650 are one piece units. Unsure about the new MT-82s but they were having all sorts of issues in the 2011s with them. Also still have an ass 6th gear overdrive ratio. I have no clue in hell why they don't just put the GM/Viper overdrive ratios into them. Who wants a 6 speed with a .65 final drive ratio? My 3550 had a .63... and 5 speeds... yeah... Same deal with the Cobra T-56s which have the added fun of a 10 spline input shaft and a .63 6th gear so they really aren't any stronger or better than a TKO style trans.

IMHO, unless you require all out top end the T-56 is a complete waste of money. Anyone with a t45 or 3650 can get them built to 600ft lbs for $1500 before shipping costs so even if shipping and whatever runs that bill up to $2k, its still half of what a T-56 swap costs not to mention it will bolt right back in with 0 modifications unless you upgrade to a 26 spline input but a new clutch is something you should do anyway.

Or just swap to an automatic which is VERY easy for a 99-04 car and will take 500/500 all day with a J-mod. If you go to a 75w and a 04 computer (or have an 04) it'll hold more.