auto_x5.0

Aode issues, need help ASAP

I was driving my mustang today, ran perfectly fine on the way to school. But on the way home it wouldn't shift into third, or over drive. It shifts into second firm and just fine, and takes off the line like normal. When I put it into drive and it goes into third, if I'm on the throttle enough it will stay sort of engaged, but as soon as I let off the throttle and go to get back on the throttle it just free revs, it did this to me at 65 mph today on the freeway so I have to limp home in 2nd gear the whole way.

I was driving my mustang today, ran perfectly fine on the way to school. But on the way home it wouldn't shift into third, or over drive. It shifts into second firm and just fine, and takes off the line like normal. When I put it into drive and it goes into third, if I'm on the throttle enough it will stay sort of engaged, but as soon as I let off the throttle and go to get back on the throttle it just free revs, it did this to me at 65 mph today on the freeway so I have to limp home in 2nd gear the whole way.

Sorry to tell you but it sounds like your direct clutch has burnt out....have you changed the fluid regularly? Hows the fluid look/smell?

When you put it in D and it tries to go to 3rd gear it will just free rev right?

Its rebuild time.

I'd say try the cheap stuff before jumping to the expensive things..

..try to change the transmission fluid and filter first, use fully synthetic transminnson oil as well as some "transmission fix", and drive it for about 300 miles. If that didn't fix it, theres a little computer that controls the transmission, try replacing that. If its still not working then it is what Justin said; rebuild time!

You can try but IMO you would be just wasting time and money...the switch on the side really only affects the car going from N to 1st gear....changing the fluid isnt going to magically make the transmission shift, if anything it would make it worse with the slippery fluid in there.

This is the exact thing that took out my trans....its rebuild time, lol.

when my tranny went at 145K miles it was because of a short in the unit that controls the transmission. At least thats what I was told, but I still had to get a new transmission because the internals were all fried. I was also told that at some point in my cars life the transmission had been rebuild before.

The aode was never really a good transmission anyway.

Overhere it cost the same to have one rebuild as just buying a brand new one would (with labor and all it adds up to pretty much the same amount), I don't think its the same over there, but I just wanted to mention it.

My friend had his 3.8l 4r70w rebuilt and installed for $900. I suggest finding someone who'll cut you a deal like my buddy did

Edit: his did the same thing. 1-2 was good, third and fourth was more slippery than Kim kardashian with reggie bush.

Shoulda seen what was pulled from that trans...

Edited by atlanticblue98

I had a customer that this was happening to his transmission. He asked me to change out the oil and filter in the transmission to see if it helps. When the oil came out it was BROWN. I checked the big ass magnet on the oil pan and it was like a blob of metal shavings. Cleaned everything perfectly, changed out the filter, added oil and an additive (forgot what it was) and started the car. It ran perfect afterwards but told the guy it wasnt going to last long. 4 months later i.e today, I get a call from him saying that his transmission is not shifting anymore. You can maybe try and do the same thing I did just to get you by but I'm sure its done.

Dude the 4r70w is extremely strong For a factory trans....just a vb and a few minor things and it will handle 600hp.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I said aode