MMR

n00b Turbo Boost controller questions.

Question 1)

Title: Running with a Boost controller on a tuned engine.

Getting a tune for your car will optimize alot of timing and different stuff in the engine, will an engine with a tune be affected in a bad way by running a boost controller as well?

On some turbocharged engine applications, the turbos wastegate is controlled partly by the engines ECU (mostly to allow controlled overboost), some by pass this and install an aftermarket boost controller in the search of more power. In most cases if the vac line going to the ECU is just blocked off this doen't through any codes or affect the cars electronics in any negative way.

Question 2)

Title: Boost controller on Twin turbo setups.

Alot of Aftermarket boost controllers comes with one vac line hook up to control one wastegate. What happens on twin turbo setups?

Does one make it like; 2 Vac lines comming from turbos from two to 1 single (like an Y pipe), single line feeds boost controller hook up, then single vac line goes to dual (the Y pipe way again) then on th the turbos wastegates.

Try to draw it out here:

post-161-13881837019185_thumb.jpg

Or how does it work exactly?

Ok using a boost controller can be bad on a tuned engine,especially if that engine is controlled by a sort if n75 valve(just an example), if you go past the parameters if the tune itself, even at low rpms it could lean you out, some valves are created to be a gradual gain design.. "Ex Vw n75 valves are gradual because of such a small turbine/ overall turbocharger if it were a manual type(fixed) then it will spike boost at low levels even at the 1500 Rpm range, which is fine! But, if its not tuned to pull the correct timing per oem ecu/revo tune even it may cause detonation due to set timing spikes to creat the low level torque before turbocharger multiplication" if your going to go mechanical boost control on a setup designed for electronic per oem or ecu controlled boost then do it from the get go and get it tuned for that.. Maf/load tables can only generate enough of a safe curve.. If your creating 1k plus egt's. before 2500 rpm.. Your asking for a melt down..

As for the boost control I have seen the T'd the way you designed the drawing, but I personally never run compressor feeds on dual setups, I run a vacuum manifold for compound setups like this then run one line to the boost controller in the most centralized are between the wastegates to make sure it's equal length vac lines between each of the two.. This way vac/boost source is closeted to being equivalent and even for both wastegates to open and close in uniform so during spool up the compressors work together instead of once spooling first and trying to stall the other.. This will cause premature bearing wear.. And stalling a compressor is horrible for spool time as well.. Very uncommon but if the compressor maps aren't matched well to the setup, it can happen..

Sent from my iPhone

No prob man any time, and always remember never T the vac/boost line running to your bov/diverter valve.. Straight from the manifold/vac source.. Any delay in response in open/close of this device can result in compressor stall/butterfly damage in the throttle body due to excessive pressure, or very slow spool/boost leak due to the valve not closing fast enough..ill post a video if an issue I had with my bov being T'd off of my wastegate source..

Sent from my iPhone