kucklehead

Gettinh started...... in the twisties

I know there are some semi experienced to experienced road course people out there. Can you shed some light on how to start out for a beginner and give us a good run down? From car set up to track days and of course safety gear. Seats harness helmets etc.

Thanks guys for helping out.

Bionic at 20lbs of boost

Okay I finallly found time to sit in front of my computer to type this out.

First off, I strongly advise against just going straight into open track racing. The learning curve is very steep considering the obstacles you will have to overcome such as sand pits, raised curbing, and even worse... walls. I recommend going to your local autocross until you really get a good feel for your car. Start with minimal mods and work up through the base SCCA Solo Classes. From there, as soon as you start getting more mods and a rollbar/cage (I consider it mandatory for track racing), you can start open tracking your mustang. This is the route that I have taken and it worked out well for me. Unfortunately the last time I've been on track is 4 years ago with my last mustang, I've been too busy with other parts of my life that haven't allowed me back on track. This being said, in February, I will be hitting the SCCA Solo Circuit with the Roush..

For Autocross, generally just, a Snell SA2005+ Rated Helmet, jeans, t-shirt, and racing gloves are what I consider important. I also have puma racing shoes but that's also a bit more advanced than the beginner needs. Realistically if you're a beginner you should just be going out to autocrosses and just tossing the car around. don't mess with the car setup, just learn the way your car acts and reacts to steering, throttle, and braking inputs. Whether or not you want to pursue Autocross competitively will be when you want to decide to start changing tire pressures, etc. etc.

Read up more here on your local SCCA's website:

http://www.ncrscca.com/Solo

Seat time is the best thing you can do for yourself.

Learn your car... then mod it to your needs. A lot of people get hung up on building the ultimate track car, and can't nail down good times b/c they can't drive it. Then you end up getting mad instead of having fun - which is what it should be about.

Once you are ready to open track the car, look at HPDE type events (instructional learing days). Get in with a good instructor and let them guide your abilities.

Nobody is a pro right out of the gate. Even the seasoned drivers are always learning.

As for gear, I agree with Brett.... helmet, gloves and safety first. Stock car on the track isn't any safer than a 500 hp monster if you get the wheels off the ground. Seats are a nice thing to hold you in place when the time comes. If you step to a harness, do it right with a cage or harness bar from Sparco. I've seen so many people bolt up hanresses wrong and end up hurt instead of safe.

I have never autocrossed but a word of advice about any racing, if this is your daily driver and you can not afford to go with out it think twice. I am not trying to be negative just being real. It is the same at the drag races with daily drivers. When you race you push your car hard, really hard sometimes, and crap breaks. Sometimes it is beyond your control. the most important thing is have fun and enjoy yourself, if you are not having fun then it isn't worth doing.

My motto about any type of racing, I am going to push it to within an inch of its life, and I might get carried away. Of course my nova isn't my daily driver so when I break I do not upset.

Have fun and keep it off the walls

matt

Yeah i agree but some people ( including myself) push the car hard on the street from time to time. If it breaks on me on the road im screwed but at the track i will have it trailered there and back. And it helps that betwenn me and people i know most under chassis parts are close by. It will be a daily driver and a weekender but i have backups. It will be that way till i start makin more power then it will be a track star first a a weekend driver or ill dd it and pick up a dedicated track car. I can't stand not to drive it every day lol

Bionic at 20lbs of boost

Just get out there and have fun.. it's not that hard to get into. It is hard on stuff though, my mustang started leaking everything(not kidding) after a couple track days. Oh, and tires. Tires tires tires.