Schiffy

Tremec 3550...

Alright guys, I have a 3550 in my garage that needs rebuilt. I've done a shit ton of reading on it, and I'm not finding exactly what I need, so help me. Are the 3550 internals and the TKO internals the same, or just the case? Also, all I'm seeing on D&D's website is individual pieces. I'm looking for the whole kit. Some help from any of y'all would be greatly appreciated!

There are four iterations of that transmission. The originals were the 3550 and the TKO. There are only 3 parts different on these two transmissions. The 3550 has a 10 spline input shaft and a 28 spline input shaft. The TKO has the exact same internals with a 26 spline input and a 31 spline output, with a different tail housing to fit the bigger output shaft. If you put a 31 spline shaft in a 3550, you can bore the 3550 housing to make it fit, you don't have to buy the TKO tail housing. The later TKO-500/ TKO-600 is the same design with harder gears in it. The 500 is for stock replacement 10spline/28 spline, and the 600 is the 26spline/31spline combo. They generally do not sell rebuild kits for this transmission. You have to buy the parts individually, and they are expensive. I paid $320 for one gear set before. Also try calling Hanlon motorsports. They have good ways to save money on a rebuild. For instance, they can match your slider up and sell you just the slider instead of selling you the whole hub the way Tremec does it.

Kurt