OnyxCobra

Clutch Questions

I'm considering a new clutch since I am upgrading to 26 spline and not sure I want Spec again (kinda feel like I got lucky with mine after reading reviews online)

Can anyone add or update their experiences? I don't want ANY chatter.

I've had great luck with my Exedy no chatter and great grip. I'm sure you can go with a lower stage though, mines over the top to handle anything I throw at it.

I hate how two people can have totally different experiences with the same Brands or clutches, I was really leaning towards the CF Dual Friction and then you see people that have horrible experiences with it. I don't get how a clutch can be destroyed after one pass at the track though unless something went wrong with install or during the break-in process...

I've had great luck with my Exedy no chatter and great grip. I'm sure you can go with a lower stage though, mines over the top to handle anything I throw at it.

Thanks, I looked them up since that was a company I haven't looked at. It looks like the strongest clutch they make for my car is the Stage 2, they list three torque ratinges for it.

Clutch torque (whatever that is) 699

Torque Capacity at the flywheel 498

Torque Capacity at the wheels 415

Idk, that doesn't seem like enough to me...

Edited by OnyxCobra

if you're looking at american muscle they're retarded. Exedy doesn't list their clutches by stage.

Regardless how much power are you putting down? "clutch power" really is the power being made at the flywheel. If you're past 699ft-lbs of torque, you're not going to find a clutch that doesn't have some chatter.

I've spoken to a few clutch guys about the CF clutch. They say that the disk is actually a very decent design. The problem is that they run it with a stock pressure plate. If you run the CF disk with a stronger pressure plate, like a King Cobra PP, it will work much better. The lack of clamping force causes it to slip when you launch it hard. Once it starts slipping it burns off the material pretty quickly. I used to have the video of the clutch coming out of the car on the second pass. Right off the line, it just shoots a plume of black smoke out the side. It took all the friction material off the disk, and the car wouldn't even move afterwards.

Kurt

if you're looking at american muscle they're retarded. Exedy doesn't list their clutches by stage.

Regardless how much power are you putting down? "clutch power" really is the power being made at the flywheel. If you're past 699ft-lbs of torque, you're not going to find a clutch that doesn't have some chatter.

When was the last time you looked? http://www.exedyusa.com/race_clutch/

I've spoken to a few clutch guys about the CF clutch. They say that the disk is actually a very decent design. The problem is that they run it with a stock pressure plate. If you run the CF disk with a stronger pressure plate, like a King Cobra PP, it will work much better. The lack of clamping force causes it to slip when you launch it hard. Once it starts slipping it burns off the material pretty quickly. I used to have the video of the clutch coming out of the car on the second pass. Right off the line, it just shoots a plume of black smoke out the side. It took all the friction material off the disk, and the car wouldn't even move afterwards.

Kurt

it sure doesn't look like it uses a stock pressure plate. i asked the guy at CF about using my Spec stage 2 pressure plate with their disc and they said it might work. regardless if they say it can hold 450tq then it seems like it should have handled more than one pass at the track if you were making 370...

I've had 3 centerforce dual friction clutch kits, 2 on stock flywheels and one on a fidanza aluminum. I did the install exactly as cf said to, used tons of brake cleaner, made sure my transmission was not leaking, etc. I've never had a problem with them, and all of them have been beat on severely, this last one surviving 540-560hp from a supercharged 306. I regularly did wot for 2-3 miles up a 5% grade here in the mountains with it, when I was testing my oil cooler and supercharger Intercooler along with 4-5 weekends of road racing and autox with the blower setup.

it sure doesn't look like it uses a stock pressure plate. i asked the guy at CF about using my Spec stage 2 pressure plate with their disc and they said it might work. regardless if they say it can hold 450tq then it seems like it should have handled more than one pass at the track if you were making 370...

It's a stock pressure plate with stupid little weights that don't do anything attached to it. It even has the original Luk stamping on it, they just spray paint it orange. I'm not sure what pressure plate the Stage 2 comes with, but it's probably stock pressure also. Whether or not it will work has to do with the thickness of the disk. The pressure plate has a designed depth that determines which pressure plate will work. I know the King Cobra pressure plate will work with the DF disk. You could call SPEC and ask if the Stage 2 pressure plate is a stock replacement.

Kurt

It's a stock pressure plate with stupid little weights that don't do anything attached to it. It even has the original Luk stamping on it, they just spray paint it orange. I'm not sure what pressure plate the Stage 2 comes with, but it's probably stock pressure also. Whether or not it will work has to do with the thickness of the disk. The pressure plate has a designed depth that determines which pressure plate will work. I know the King Cobra pressure plate will work with the DF disk. You could call SPEC and ask if the Stage 2 pressure plate is a stock replacement.

Kurt

by stock do you mean a Ford pressure plate or stock pedal pressure? There's no way the Spec pressure plates are stock, they all have much stiffer pedal than stock. If by stock you mean stock size, then that's a possibility, Centerforce said theirs measures .330. whatever that means.

Can you show us some pictures then? im pretty sure my CF dual friction (or Stg 2, whatever they call them now) doesnt say LUK on it. I had a STG1 that I dont recall it sayin LUK, but I could be wrong.

its still called the dual friction, the 1 and 2 whatever models are weaker clutches.

by stock do you mean a Ford pressure plate or stock pedal pressure? There's no way the Spec pressure plates are stock, they all have much stiffer pedal than stock. If by stock you mean stock size, then that's a possibility, Centerforce said theirs measures .330. whatever that means.

its still called the dual friction, the 1 and 2 whatever models are weaker clutches.

Factory replacement, meaning made to the same specs as the original. Usually pedal effort goes down after changing out the clutch simply because it's not all worn out. My SPEC 3 was way less effort than the stock one that came out. Most entry level clutches use a factory replacement pressure plate, so that would be a SPEC stage 1. Obviously the higher stage SPECs come with different pressure plates for more clamping force and different disk thicknesses.

Kurt

- - - Updated - - -

Can you show us some pictures then? im pretty sure my CF dual friction (or Stg 2, whatever they call them now) doesnt say LUK on it. I had a STG1 that I dont recall it sayin LUK, but I could be wrong.

Mine had a Luk stamping on it, but that was a long time ago. I don't know if Luk still makes Mustang pressure plates anymore. CF may have gone to another supplier now, but it's built to original specs.

Kurt

according to what I found from Spec the pressure plates are the same, the increase in holding capacity comes from the different discs. A stage 1 and a Stage 3 will have the same pedal pressure I'm pretty sure.