CompOrangeSN95

Computer specs

So the middle of last year I got back into PC gaming and finally broke down and bought a bad ass computer.

case: Thermaltake V9 BlacX

ram: 16GB DDR3-1600 Dominator

video card: G-force GTX 560 TI 1GB

Motherboard: ASUS P8P67 Pro

power supply: 750 Watt Corsair

processor: i5 2500K OC to 4.2GHz

cooling: Liquid

hard drive 1: 64GB SSD (os only)

hard drive 2: 2TB 7,200rpm

monitor: 42" Panasonic VIERA 1080p 3D Plasma (Doubles as my TV)

What is everyone else running?

I rebuilt my computer this year.

case: CoolerMaster HAF-932 Advanced (1/17)

ram: 8GB DDR3-1600 Patriot Signature (5/30)

video card: G-force GTX 560 TI 1GB (5/27)

Motherboard: MSI 990FXA-GD65V2 (5/30

power supply: Rosewill 1000 watt (1/17)

processor: AMD FX-8150 3.6GHz 8-core (5/30)

cooling: Heatsink/Fan (5/30)

hard drive 1: 320GB SATA 6.0GB/s (5/30)

hard drive 2: 750GB SATA 3.0GB/s (installed games)

Ext HDD1: 500GB (work files)

Ext HDD2: 320GB (programs/files)

Ext HDD3: 160GB (mp3's)

Optical Drive 1: Samsung SATA DVD-RW (6/8)

Optical Drive 2: Samsung SATA Blu-Ray (6/8)

monitor: (2) 23" Acer LED (7/18)

All the other hard drives I've had for a bit. THey are mainly storage drives.

Thanks, I enjoy it. Definitely more computer than I'll ever use. With liquid cooling, the CPU has been reliably overclocked to 4.5Ghz, but I don't even need all that.

I've had no problems with playing Diablo 3, aside from the problems that ARE Diablo 3 LOL.

EDIT: The blu-ray drive was $30 at CompUSA. They are pretty inexpensive now.

yeah I'm in the same boat, I built it pretty beefy, it's fun to run games on ultra settings with no issues but other then that it's over kill. The only reason I OC the processor is for running my 3D modeling software. I love D3... but with buying my house and all, I really haven't had time to play many video games. As far as the blu-ray goes, I just might be ordering one of those lol

Ah, see, 3D modeling. That's the reason for 16GB of RAM, too. Unless you are doing that kind of stuff, there's really no need to go beyond 8GB for a normal gaming computer, which is why I stuck with 8GB. The board is capable of 32GB, and I had thought about doing 16GB, but the price wasn't worth it, at the time. I was also trying to save money so that I could move my family out to Florida, but I needed my computer for work.

My slow setup...

Case: Silverstone FT02B-W

Power: CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W

Motherboard: ASUS P5E X38 LGA775

CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600

CPU Cooler: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler with Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Fans in Push/Pull configuration

RAM: G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066

Graphics: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100281VX-2SR Radeon HD 5870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5

Hard Drive: WD RE2 500GB 7200RPM SATA

Monitor: HP 2509 1080p LCD

Keyboard: Razer Lycosa

Mouse: Razer Mamba

Mouse Pad: steelseries 63003SS QCK+

Headset: Razer Megalodon 7.1 Virtual Surround Sound

Pictures:

IMG_3419.jpg

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3422.jpg

Edited by Brian

^^^Thats nice.

This is not the system I have this is the system I hope to build in the near future. Something things may change as price of higher end stuff like graphics cards starts to drop.

Case: Cooler Master Storm Enforcer

Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 LGA 1155 Intel Z68

Processor : Intel core i5 25000K sandy bridge 3.3 ghz

Graphics Card : MSI Twin Frozr II GTX 570 ( And to be SLI when they drop more )

RAM : G.Skill Rip Jaws X Series 8 GB

Cooling : Hyper master 212

Hard Drive 1 : WD Cavier Black 1 TB

Hard Drive 2: Corsair Force Series 120 GB SSD

Power Supply : Corsair TX 750M Semi Modular

Monitor : Asus 24" LED back light LCD

Ill share mine

Motherboard: Asus P8P67 Pro Rev 3.1

CPU: Intel I7 2600k 4.8GHZ OCed

Cooling: Corsair Water cooling block with 320 MM radiator

GPU: EVGA GTX 460(2) in SLI

PS: Thermaltake TR2 RX 850w

Memory:12GB Corsair Vengeance DDr3

Hard Drive: Western Digital Blue Caviar 120GB Western Digital Black Caviar 320GB

I use this particular setup for just gaming I used to play WOW in competitive raiding and arena. I now play League of Legends and Diablo 3 as well as SWTOR occasionaly anymore. My computer is complete overkill for any of these games but meh. Im a huge razer fanboy as well, all I use are their peripherals.

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate (mechanical keyboard)

Mouse:Razer Naga 2012 Edition

Headset: Razer Carcharias, Razer Orca

Mouse Pad: Razer Vespula

soon to come is my Razer Tiamat 7.1 surround headset and my third monitor I have I just am getting a new desk and a stand for all three at the moment.

2012-06-29_100813-1.jpg

this pic had my old Naga pre 2012 edition so its still the blue one.

Edited by Knuckles

One of My Setups :

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred

Power: COOLMAX 650W

Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth

CPU: AMD FX- 8150

CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster

RAM: Kingston Hyper X 16GB DDR3

Graphics: Quattro 5880 ( or something like that )

Hard Drives: WD Velicoraptor 300GB 7200RPM SATA OS drive

3x WD 2tb Greens

Monitor: Dual HP ZR22W's

Keyboard: Logitech Wave

Mouse: Logitech MX

Mouse Pad: STL Cardinals Home Plate recreation from MLB.com

Optical Drive: Pioneer Blu-Ray

The Home Server is nothing Special :

HP Z400 Workstation with a I7 , 16gb ram , WD velicoraptor 300gb OS drive , 4 x WD 2tb Greens ...

nice setups! I need to take a pic of mine when I get the chance and post it up here. I used to be big into WoW (which doesn't require even close to what I have) now I kinda play what ever I can, but I am really looking forward to the new CS. We should setup a vent server to chat while we play, unless there is something better out there... I've been out of the game for a while now.

I've been using Skype, lately, when I play online. Conference call with whoever, and be done with it.

I've got mine crammed onto a really small computer stand, with a filing cabinet next to it to hold the other monitor. I need to go get a desk, so I can lay it all out nice and neat.

So I have been tinkering on Newegg.com at some possible upgrades. I'm looking to upgrade (just browsing) to something that will be able to game even better than my current setup. This is what I came up with so far (it'll change a few times I'm sure) but not a bad little configuration...

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core

MOBO: EVGA Z77 FTW 151-IB-E699-KR LGA 1155 Intel Z77

RAM: G.SKILL Ares Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) (16 GB)

GRAPHICS: EVGA 015-P3-1480-KR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 (x2 running in SLI)

SSD: Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC

Total Price: $1,200.19

Now this is just internals that I would run (if I bought) with some of my components I already have.

What do yall think? Suggestions for different components a

Edited by Brian

I agree with that, SSD for OS and get something bigger for all the other crap, you will run through 128 gb in a week.

Ive been meaning to build a nice desktop PC...right now I just run my alienware m11x laptop to a 23 inch Samsung LED with a wireless keyboard/ mouse combo.

Also, I was under the impression that even 8gb may be overkill in the RAM department, yet alone 16 gb, UNLESS you are doing things like video editing or Autocad, etc.

Obviously more RAM wont hurt but just saying, no point in running 16gb of ram if you will never use more than 4.

That looks like a bad ass setup, but I would definitely add another hard drive. Run the OS on the SSD and buy something else for all your programs and media. Just my $.02
I agree with that, SSD for OS and get something bigger for all the other crap, you will run through 128 gb in a week.

This is covered by:

Now this is just internals that I would run (if I bought) with some of my components I already have.
Edited by Brian

Also, I was under the impression that even 8gb may be overkill in the RAM department, yet alone 16 gb, UNLESS you are doing things like video editing or Autocad, etc.

Obviously more RAM wont hurt but just saying, no point in running 16gb of ram if you will never use more than 4.

IMO, 4GB isn't enough for Windows 7. I would rather have 8GB. My current setup as 4GB and I am actually about to order more since RAM is so cheap right now. (Also another reason why it's not a big deal to put 16GB in for $40 bucks. And when you say "the link you provided is 8GB for $40, another component in the list provides the same RAM package for free with purchase. ;) ).

Plus being that I'm in IT I don't JUST use the computer for gaming. It'll be used somewhat as a server for lab testing, etc. Also depending on what my setup fully entails the more amount of RAM would be useful.

Haha, you guys keep forgetting I do this stuff for a living, don't you?

Edited by Brian

I've got 8gb....but don't think it has ever used 4 gb at one time lol.

Its cheap enough you might as well but there are very few ways to actually use that much ram. Video rendering, AutoCAD, etc.

I wasn't telling you not to do it, just thought it was interesting that we don't really use anywhere near that amount of ram typically.

Haha as I said using it as a server lab will use up every bit of 16GB. Typical users won't and I'm not saying I'll be constantly using the full amount but it's there. Depending on the price & shots available, I might actually go for more than 16. I think the board I choose supports 32GB so I might run that. My co-worker has like 64GB of RAM and was having a lot of fun in his test environment.