Twista

Bad Gasoline... Issues

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2012-08-21/business/ct-biz-0822-bp-gas-20120822_1_bp-stations-bp-refinery-bad-gas

BP issued a statement Tuesday, saying the gasoline was blended at its Whiting storage terminal between Aug. 13 and 17 and contained a "higher than normal level of polymeric residue."

Hey guys i really think got a hold of some bad gas. I put some 87 octane from Throntons in my car. Ever since the car has been running like crap. I can hear it missing really bad while driving. Its not exactly making a backfiring sound but sounds like a female with the soft poots constantly.

What are shops doing to the cars coming in with bad gas? Everything on my car tuneup wise is fairly new so its not time for a tuneup. The wires, plugs, fuel filter, cap/rotor and pvc+filter screen are still pretty new.[

I checked my wires for header burn marks and didn't see anything crazy.

So im assuming i got bad gas. I made a mistake of putting in 87 one day i was running late for work. I only put 2 gallons of it but its been acting up ever since. Since then i probably put shells 93 in about 2 times. So im pretty sure that little 87 octane is burned up and gone, but im still having problems.

I can change the plugs and fuel filter myself is there anything else i should do if i did fill up with bad gas??

I posted this on my Local forum but im hoping you guys have ideas also? What should i do to help solve this problem beside taking it to a shop. Or is the shop the only choice? I only added like 2 gallons to a near empty tank to make it to work @ night while running late..

Pull the plugs and give them a once over. Maybe something happened to a couple of them with the bad gas. I accidentally put a full tank of 87 in mine and the only issue was occasional pinging when I'd forget and hammered it.

Fuel treatment

Maf cleaning

New plugs

New fuel filter

I think the fuel is getting dirtier now days quality is going down and price is going up. cutting cost and adding shit to the mix 10 percent ethanol is the norm now God knows what else they cut it with, like method dealers lol

The D3V

The electrode itself doesn't seem bad. But the gap looks a little big to me. The rust on the threads tells me there was water in the plug holes. Did you wash the engine compartment?

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Fuel filter is changed.

Nope, my engine bay is dirtier than a virgin on prom night. I do have crazy leak in my engine.. oil leaking from somewhere in the valley above the water pump. But it s been like this forever. I keep the oil level fine.

I haven't drove the car with the new fuel filter yet, but i suspect much hasn't changed. Im going to do some research on plugs before i buy new ones. Wanna try something different than what i have now which are autolite 25's.

I just have a silly feeling its a ignition/spark problem. The no-seize i used on the treads looks all crusty so i does look like something wet has been hitting the plugs.

If this is the end of my 5.0 i think she needs a 4.6 swap excuse anyway

Edited by s4rge

I had an Autolite plug come apart on me. The ceramic seperated from the metal and was able to move up and down. Covering the eletrode and causing driveability issues. I switched to NGK and haven't had issues with them.

The fuel filter i took off yesterday looked fine. Nothing gummy coming out of each ends. So im moving to the plugs today/tomorrow.

Im thinking this was a huge considence that my problems started when the bad gas started

Yep not the nicest looking coil wire brush it or put some coke on it

The D3V

Im just going to replace it and throw the old one in the trunk for emergency backup. $25 for a new coil is not bad.

Do you think the plugs are fine or should they be replaced?

Just wondering if the white build up on the plugs would effect the spark in anyway.

Edited by s4rge

Im just going to replace it and throw the old one in the trunk for emergency backup. $25 for a new coil is not bad.

Do you think the plugs are fine or should they be replaced?

Just wondering if the white build up on the plugs would effect the spark in anyway.

The white build up is from fuel additives (octane boost, fuel treatment stuff could cause it if u run them every tank) probably from regular additives gas .....I would replace them and properly set the gap... cheap and easy

The D3V

Edited by D3vst8r96gt

Along with all of the above, it is very possible that you ended up with water/condensation in the fuel tank and it's causing the issues. (It can happen from having a low tank for a bit and filling it on a humid day or many other random ways.) A $5 bottle of any name brand fuel additive specifically for water in the tank will work wonders after about 5 miles of driving if that's the case. Never bad to update/replace things like spark plugs, fuel filter etc...

Wires are fine since there new. However, the ignition coil wire is a special one and the new plugs didn't come with it so i been using the old plug. Its all corroded inside.

So this has to be part of the problem. The only thing is where can i buy this single plug with the special connector?

Its the small one that plugs into the middle of the cap and goes directly to the ignition coil.

2ezh5hf.jpg

35c1z14.jpg

New ignition coil installed. No luck. Miss is still there.. not as bad but still there.

Going to pull each plug wire tomorrow with the car running and see if its a certain wire/plug causing the miss.

I wonder if its these cheap advanced auto wires i brought like 5 months ago.

Tired of wondering because its $$$. Might just return this new coil and buy some new wires with the money refunded.

If it is the plugs i will never cheap one again ==> http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_spark-plug-wire-set-xact_5505143-p?searchTerm=spark+plug+wires

Edited by s4rge

The white build up is from fuel additives (octane boost, fuel treatment stuff could cause it if u run them every tank) probably from regular additives gas .....I would replace them and properly set the gap... cheap and easy

The D3V

White means lean or water in the fuel. Brownish/Orange means fuel additive. His threads having rust is probably from the water in the fuel like someone mentioned earlier.

Returned the new ignition coil and exchanged it for some new plugs. This time not the advanced auto brand for $22. Brought some autolite professional plugs for $37 and all seems well now. Its hard to tell because the mufflers are right at the door so everything sounds like a MISS when your use to hearing the miss.. esp. the decel burble.

But i believe its all well now and the $22 xact plugs will never touch my car again.

Those xact brand plugs lasted less than 7 months ..sigh

Edited by s4rge