MMR

Camshaft emissions question.

Sorry for making two threads, but it is two different questions.

Anyway, my question is; how much does an aftermarket camshaft change the emissions of the car?

I am no threehugger (actually I couldn't care less about emissions), but it has to do with passsing the inspection. There are all kinds of gay laws about this stuff over here.

It varies from car to car. My car aced emissions with a Trick Flow 3 cam, and does even better with the custom cam (slightly smaller than the Trick Flow). Both cams are pretty large, and I only go through emissions with 2 cats and no other emission's device. I just did another car, I believe it had the Trick Flow package with the 170cc heads and the #1 cam, and it aced emissions. I put the same cats on my friend's bone stock Cobra with longtubes and it barely passes with the spout pulled. Unless it's like an alphabet cam or something like that, I don't think it makes much difference.

Kurt

This is from my Mustang. This is with ported Canfield 192cc heads and a Trick Flow 3 cam (.574/.595 w/ 236/248 @.050" w/ 110 lobe sep) on a 347cid Ford. Fairly decent size cam. I had 2 forward catalytic converters (the small ones) off of a 93' Mustang ethnicity rigged prior to the mufflers. I had no EGR, and no smog pump, and the engine had about 85,000 miles on it. I have since installed a smaller cam and built a better H-pipe with big Magnaflow converters, and it does even better now. I don't have the emissions sheet here at work with me though. This is why I say it's all about the tune.

EmissionsTest.jpg

Kurt